Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Roddy White admits Falcons used to "duck" teams

http://m.usatoday.com/article/news/1774977

Good little read. Brings up alot that we have said and kind of proves what we have been saying all along. It has always seemed like we were never ready to play the elite teams and this is why. The players were not confident enough to get the win and it really showed in their play. Hopefully now the players can get over the hump and keep that confidence they have because we have a good team and its time to prove it. No more playing down to our opponents. No more being scared to play elite teams. This is our year if all of the players can buy in.

vCash
    I guess it's admirable that he'd admit this, bit no surprise. It seemed like the players weren't confident that our coaches could go toe to toe with the coaching staffs of other contenders. Not just in playoff games but also vs teams like the Saints. The Falcons couldn't always match up from a personnel standpoint, but the former coordinators struggled to adjust. We had a lead in each of those postseason games and basically got hammered after halftime, 53-14 aggregate score in the second half of those 3 losses. The offensive and defensive philosophies were conservative and reactionary; players couldn't match the toughness because they weren't coached to be the aggressors. But those coordinators (and other assistants) are gone now, and the last one standing is Smith. To be continued.
    Last edited by Bravo95; 12-18-2012 at 01:50 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bravo95 View Post
    I guess it's admirable that he'd admit this, bit no surprise. It seemed like the players weren't confident that our coaches could go toe to toe with the coaching staffs of other contenders. Not just in playoff games but also vs teams like the Saints. The Falcons couldn't always match up from a personnel standpoint, but the former coordinators struggled to adjust. We had a lead in each of those postseason games and basically got hammered after halftime, 53-14 aggregate score in the second half of those 3 losses. The offensive and defensive philosophies were conservative and reactionary; players couldn't match the toughness because they weren't coached to be the aggressors. But those coordinators (and other assistants) are gone now, and the last one standing is Smith. To be continued.
    Yeah Roddy said it is different this year. I guess we will have to find out. I am ready fo the playoffs.

vCash
    So who are we more likely to play in the second round (assuming we get first round bye)?

I figure

1. ATL (lock)
    2. SF (lock)
    3. GB (lock)
    4. Wash/NY Giants/Dallas ?
    5. Seattle (lock)
    6. Minnesota/ Dallas/ Chicago/ Wash/ NY Giants ?

The way it matches up (1,2 get byes; 3v6 and 4v5), I don't see GB losing to whoever the 6 is. That means we will play whoever wins out of the 4v5 matchup. (GB will play at SF)

Seattle currently looks like the team that would beat out the NFC east champ (whover that may be)

Looks like most likely we will have our first game vs. Seattle.
    Last edited by FalconsNation02; 12-18-2012 at 11:34 AM.

L.A. Angels/ Atlanta Falcons/ Anaheim Ducks/ L.A. Clippers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FalconsNation02 View Post
    So who are we more likely to play in the second round (assuming we get first round bye)?

I figure

1. ATL (lock)
    2. SF (lock)
    3. GB (lock)
    4. Wash/NY Giants/Dallas ?
    5. Seattle (lock)
    6. Minnesota/ Dallas/ Chicago/ Wash/ NY Giants ?

The way it matches up (1,2 get byes; 3v6 and 4v5), I don't see GB losing to whoever the 6 is. That means we will play whoever wins out of the 4v5 matchup. (GB will play at SF)

Seattle currently looks like the team that would beat out the NFC east champ (whover that may be)

Looks like most likely we will have our first game vs. Seattle.
    With the way Seattle is playing, that is a scary thought. The NFC is so stacked

vCash
    If the Giants make it, there's definitely a chance they beat the Packers. Not sure I'd like to see the Giants again but at the same time, I'd rather them than some of the other possibilities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugafan View Post
    If the Giants make it, there's definitely a chance they beat the Packers. Not sure I'd like to see the Giants again but at the same time, I'd rather them than some of the other possibilities.
    Whoever it may be, i can see a real tough out for any team who makes it.

vCash
    Don't really care who we play, but I wouldn't assume anything about the NFC matchups since the playoff teams have been beating each other up all year. The 49ers, Giants, and Seahawks (yeah, I know) already beat Green Bay. Seattle is on a roll but their most impressive road win thus far came against a Bears team in the middle of a free fall -- it won't be easy for them or anyone else to get a win in either of those NFC East stadiums.