Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1959676869
Results 1,021 to 1,031 of 1031
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    So Fukijawa,Camp,Stewart,Sappelt,Bowden,Lim,scheirhol tz,baker,feldman,dejesus and many others that don't count. Or are you counting only players that YOU all feel fit what you consider an MLB player?
    This was not started by me but what the original poster was saying is adding players that will be part of the long term plan. The players you list will be gone before the team is relevant again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1972 Cubs View Post
    This was not started by me but what the original poster was saying is adding players that will be part of the long term plan. The players you list will be gone before the team is relevant again.
    Fujikawa was just signed to what could be a 3 year deal. If you're assuming this team wont be "relevant" by 2016, I think you're absolutely delusional. And for Baker/Feldman, I expect neither will fetch a fortune come deadline, if either of them are healthy, performing and still on our roster come next October, I'd expect the team to resign at least one of them, meaning they could also be on the team when we're "relevant".

Some of this is being taken too far. Just because the Cubs aren't relevant today, doesn't mean they wont be in 2014 or 2015.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Fujikawa was just signed to what could be a 3 year deal. If you're assuming this team wont be "relevant" by 2016, I think you're absolutely delusional. And for Baker/Feldman, I expect neither will fetch a fortune come deadline, if either of them are healthy, performing and still on our roster come next October, I'd expect the team to resign at least one of them, meaning they could also be on the team when we're "relevant".

Some of this is being taken too far. Just because the Cubs aren't relevant today, doesn't mean they wont be in 2014 or 2015.
    Correct. Its called a rebuild. Theo isnt over his head here, people just gotta be patient. I know, its hard.

vCash

As someone who hasn't been that impressed by what they have done I'd like to think they would be relevant by 2016. That being said I'm not that optimistic about 2014 at this point at least. They need to fill some holes quick. Obviously we have to wait to see how 2013 plays out, but as of right now I don't have confidence in RF, CF, 3B. Catcher is still a question mark, but I'll give Castillo some benefit of the doubt. That's not even getting to the pitching staff. If this team wants to win in 2014 and 2015 they need to get better today. I don't think anyone expects 2013 to be a winner, but if we want to win in the next 4 we need to pick up the pace

To be fair though some have taken it too far the other way. Just because you might not be a WS contender in 2013 that doesn't mean you shouldn't look to get better in 2013 either. I realize this probably should go in the thread, but I'm assuming this one will be closed at some point anyways.

vCash
    Bill Ladson, beat reporter for the Washington Nationals, names a few more teams in on J.P. Howell.

From what I'm hearing, the Phillies, Cubs, Mariners and Rangers have interest in Howell. I don't expect Howell to sign a deal until after Christmas.
    On December 10, ABTY7 first mentioned the Cubs "reached out to J.P. Howell."

New thread?

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    And then we wake up from our dream, right?
    You forget, this is the team that traded Napoli and Rivera for Vernon Wells as well as signing Pujols until he's 42, and Hamilton for 5 years at 125, and traded a badass spec for 1/2 a season of Greinke. LAA's owner and GM are ****ing retards, so it could happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    As someone who hasn't been that impressed by what they have done I'd like to think they would be relevant by 2016. That being said I'm not that optimistic about 2014 at this point at least. They need to fill some holes quick. Obviously we have to wait to see how 2013 plays out, but as of right now I don't have confidence in RF, CF, 3B. Catcher is still a question mark, but I'll give Castillo some benefit of the doubt. That's not even getting to the pitching staff. If this team wants to win in 2014 and 2015 they need to get better today. I don't think anyone expects 2013 to be a winner, but if we want to win in the next 4 we need to pick up the pace

To be fair though some have taken it too far the other way. Just because you might not be a WS contender in 2013 that doesn't mean you shouldn't look to get better in 2013 either. I realize this probably should go in the thread, but I'm assuming this one will be closed at some point anyways.
    The offseason is far too long to this point to even be talking about 2014 like a few people here have. As is next offseason, as well. While you're correct if they want to have a chance in 2014 they need to get somewhat better now, this idea that 2014 is already becoming threatened is, quite frankly, asinine and panic. I mean, hell, it hasn't even struck the calender year 2013. We have, quite literally, 18 months until opening day 2014 - worry about this offseason, before we start throwing the "2014 is threatened!" panics up, is all I'm saying. Things change quickly. Literally, 12 hours ago, it looked like Edwin Jackson was SD's, and we only had a (albeit) nice tidbit from Ty about a week ago that we were deep in on Jackson. Now we've got two national guys saying were a Jackson finalist. If they sign Edwin Jackson, this begins to quell this thought that the 2014 staff is threatened from giving us 3/5 of a quality rotation. Hell, it brings a very realistic situation in which we'll have 4/5 spots filled next season already. It's just not worth panicking.
    Last edited by 1908_Cubs; 12-19-2012 at 07:15 AM.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    cool new thread courtesy of yours truly
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=789246

vCash
    The offseason is far too long to this point to even be talking about 2014 like a few people here have. As is next offseason, as well. While you're correct if they want to have a chance in 2014 they need to get somewhat better now, this idea that 2014 is already becoming threatened is, quite frankly, asinine and panic. I mean, hell, it hasn't even struck the calender year 2013. We have, quite literally, 18 months until opening day 2014 - worry about this offseason, before we start throwing the "2014 is threatened!" panics up, is all I'm saying. Things change quickly. Literally, 12 hours ago, it looked like Edwin Jackson was SD's, and we only had a (albeit) nice tidbit from Ty about a week ago that we were deep in on Jackson. Now we've got two national guys saying were a Jackson finalist. If they sign Edwin Jackson, this begins to quell this thought that the 2014 staff is threatened from giving us 3/5 of a quality rotation. Hell, it brings a very realistic situation in which we'll have 4/5 spots filled next season already. It's just not worth panicking.
    Nobody is panicking - you can make judgements by what the team has done so far. If they acquire both Jackson and Bourn then you make a new evaluation and then count me in for 2014. If they miss then you look at what is on the team and what is coming from the minors and your back to 2015 or later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by excillon View Post
    You forget, this is the team that traded Napoli and Rivera for Vernon Wells as well as signing Pujols until he's 42, and Hamilton for 5 years at 125, and traded a badass spec for 1/2 a season of Greinke. LAA's owner and GM are ****ing retards, so it could happen.
    While I agree with most of this, Jean Segura is hardly a badass.

vCash
    Move to the FA 19 thread guys!

Page 69 of 69 FirstFirst ... 1959676869