Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 65 of 69 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    I personally like the approach, although I guess its because I don't view anibal sanchez as the cornerstone make or break type of guy for the organization.
    I'm actually not a huge Sanchez fan either, though apparently Epstein is with his pitch about making him the Cubs' ace.

But the problem is we are backed into a corner, more or less. I don't think Epstein wants losing seasons in 2013-2015, and he knows he has a lot of work to do to get there. And the primary assets we need are getting scarcer and more expensive on the trade and FA markets as time goes by.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    It cuts both ways. That thread was created so people didn't have to hear "THEY ARE TANKING!" and "BUT LOOK AT ALL THE PROSPECTS!" in response to every discussion
    I'm well aware, the thread was my idea. I did ignore the medium-term specification, so touche.

vCash
    Well, we're sort of seeing the problem with the approach.

In the medium-term (say, 2012-2015), we've added 2.5 assets in 1.5 offseasons: Anthony Rizzo, Travis Wood and Arodys Vizcaino (AAAer so he gets credit as half). That's not a sufficient pace to make the team competitive by the end of that time frame. They're going to have to pick up the pace.
    Lol what on earth are you talking about we've added 2.5 assets? That's laughable.

vCash
    He meant major league assets. Or atleast near MLB. Missing out on Olt, Perez, Delgado, Sanchez or whoever else you want to add to the "almost" catagory don't count. I say it's time for Theo to step it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jtsunami View Post
    Lol what on earth are you talking about we've added 2.5 assets? That's laughable.
    Not really. Which other assets have they added that will be here in 2015?

vCash
    You could make a case that some of the top prospects will be here around 2015, but they'll be quite pre-prime and who knows if they'll make it at all.

In the direct medium-term, they've done very little, and it's showing.

vCash
    Kyle-
    Cheer up. At least we are in contention for the Fangraphs efficiency award

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mell413 View Post
    Kyle-
    Even then, probably not. If you took out the Hendry legacies and don't count Soler and Concepcion, then maybe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Not really. Which other assets have they added that will be here in 2015?
    Who cares about the timeframe? Soler and Almora can be traded for a ML player. I'm glad you guys don't manage my 401k.

Soler
    Almora
    Vizcaino
    Rizzo
    Fujikawa
    Christian Villanueva
    All their draft picks
    Torreyes
    Conception (still might be something)
    Cardenas
    DeJesus

Those are player assets. Then you have all the staff they've employed. Regardless of if they are highly valuable assets is debatable. But you didn't say that.

vCash
    I'm actually not a huge Sanchez fan either, though apparently Epstein is with his pitch about making him the Cubs' ace.

But the problem is we are backed into a corner, more or less. I don't think Epstein wants losing seasons in 2013-2015, and he knows he has a lot of work to do to get there. And the primary assets we need are getting scarcer and more expensive on the trade and FA markets as time goes by.
    Did he say this? 'Cause then I would continue to be disappointed. Sanchez is alright and such, but a guy who's had surgeries on both the elbow and shoulder should not get that designation.

The big thing about the non-signing for me was that we now know they are pursuing FAs in that age range despite the fact that they would be 38 by the time the team is Ready.

I actually think it was more because the Latos trade blocked Rizzo with Alonso which made him expendable to the Padres. The Cashner for Rizzo trade was one of the those equal value trades at the time IMO.
    Agreed.

*falls before the glory of being praised by Dave Cameron*

vCash
    "Who cares about the timeframe?" is just classic and sums up everything that's wrong with smart Cubs fandom these days. The idea that baseball players are just assets that can be boiled down to a raw value to add to the total, like a 401k.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Did he say this? 'Cause then I would continue to be disappointed. Sanchez is alright and such, but a guy who's had surgeries on both the elbow and shoulder should not get that designation.

The big thing about the non-signing for me was that we now know they are pursuing FAs in that age range despite the fact that they would be 38 by the time the team is Ready.
    He obviously didn't say it in a press conference or anything, but that was the report on ESPNChicago or something when discussing how he flew down and skipped the Cubs' Christmas party to pitch Sanchez.

It's nice that they are willing to offer some money to a guy like that, but the problem is that guys like that are exceedingly scarce. There aren't really any left on the current FA market except maybe Jackson. Next year there won't be more than a handful, and that's before extensions and the Dodgers thin them out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    Who cares what the pitch was? You must not be a very good salesman. Theo tried telling him what he wanted to hear, even if he wasn't telling the truth. Obviously being a winning team meant more important to him than being the "Ace" on a team that's not going to win right away..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gocubs2118 View Post
    Who cares what the pitch was? You must not be a very good salesman. Theo tried telling him what he wanted to hear, even if he wasn't telling the truth. Obviously being a winning team meant more important to him than being the "Ace" on a team that's not going to win right away..
    I wasn't assuming that was his pitch to Sanchez.

vCash
    "Who cares about the timeframe?" is just classic and sums up everything that's wrong with smart Cubs fandom these days. The idea that baseball players are just assets that can be boiled down to a raw value to add to the total, like a 401k.
    What're ya taaawkin about? The Cubs have all the time in the world. I still find them lovable!

Page 65 of 69 FirstFirst ... 15556364656667 ... LastLast