Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 56 of 69 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by A New Era View Post
    Just curious, where did the Price chatter start up? How many pages back? I know it had something to do with some reporter having a mention about the Cubs would be primed to trade for him with their talent in 2014 but what is the validity to it, if any.
    I think it was Olney who mentioned that, if Price is off the market for this year, the Cubs could be in a great position to trade for him next off-season. It was pure conjecture and not based on any rumors.

vCash
    So what do they need? Bats? Like Baez, Voggie, Almora type of package? I see it's sort of a "fit" type of thing. Cubs projecting to have the talent and salary to extend, Rays prefering a haul before he gets expensive? When is Price a FA by the way? And I'd assume the Cubs would only agree with extension in place.
    The Rays system seems to be weak on bats, as it has been for a while. Seems to be their strength has always been drafting pitchers. So you'd be looking at guys in the trade like Javier Baez, Albert Almora, to a lesser extent due to his contract, Jorge Soler....then you've got a second teir of player which would be your Dan Vogelbach's. It'd take a whole lot to get him. We're talking probably two preimium prospects and two more middle guys. At least 3 from the org. top 10 and then maybe even we could see someone as good as Christian Villenueva be seen as "filler" in that trade. He won't come cheaply.

I believe Price is a FA in 2015. He's got 3.1 years of service currently. So I doubt there'd be any contingency on a contract extension.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    This might just be me but I don't see this FO ever trading Almora or Soler. I really think these are two guys that have brought into and invested quite a bit in so far (Almora b/c he's the new regime's first pick, Soler b/c contract). Baez, I could see them moving him easily.

To me if a Price package would go down next off season and assuming guys develop properly I could see a package like Baez and Vogelbach being the two premium pieces, then a high upside pitcher like Maples or Johnson, a mid level bat like Candelario, Hernandez or Amaya, then some filler guys in the lower levels.

Again assuming that guys continue to develop and a couple of guys break out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    The Rays system seems to be weak on bats, as it has been for a while. Seems to be their strength has always been drafting pitchers. So you'd be looking at guys in the trade like Javier Baez, Albert Almora, to a lesser extent due to his contract, Jorge Soler....then you've got a second teir of player which would be your Dan Vogelbach's. It'd take a whole lot to get him. We're talking probably two preimium prospects and two more middle guys. At least 3 from the org. top 10 and then maybe even we could see someone as good as Christian Villenueva be seen as "filler" in that trade. He won't come cheaply.

I believe Price is a FA in 2015. He's got 3.1 years of service currently. So I doubt there'd be any contingency on a contract extension.
    **** that. Too many talented players going to the Rays for just ONE pitcher (A good one at that). Why can't the Cubs be that team that can draft a great player AND groom them to be their MLB guy? Why does everyone always want to trade away a top prospect every chance they get at acquiring one? I'm not saying that either of Baez or Almora will be superstars, but because of these trades, getting excited for a prospect in the system is no longer worth it. There are rare occasions where several players in a system do become stars, in that case, they could be used to fill multiple holes in the MLB roster (like the Royals) while still being cost controlled. Someone like Price could very well be our ace for several years, but he would only fill one area of need while you have several players in the farm that could fill multiple needs. It can go either way.

vCash
    I'm ok with trading one of our top prospects (Vogelbach, Baez) only because we already have long term assets in the MLB Roster (Castro, Rizzo), but I do not feel ok trading a player like Almora or Soler, because the outfield is still a question mark.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ​​​​ View Post
    **** that. Too many talented players going to the Rays for just ONE pitcher (A good one at that). Why can't the Cubs be that team that can draft a great player AND groom them to be their MLB guy? Why does everyone always want to trade away a top prospect every chance they get at acquiring one? I'm not saying that either of Baez or Almora will be superstars, but because of these trades, getting excited for a prospect in the system is no longer worth it. There are rare occasions where several players in a system do become stars, in that case, they could be used to fill multiple holes in the MLB roster (like the Royals) while still being cost controlled. Someone like Price could very well be our ace for several years, but he would only fill one area of need while you have several players in the farm that could fill multiple needs. It can go either way.
    The farm system is good for two things: 1) plugging holes via the actual players themselves and 2) filling holes by trading them as a trade commodity.

For example, look at the Blue Jays and the Dodgers. Now, while I think both have their own flaws (Jays in terms of the volatility of the players they traded for in age or injury concerns and LA in terms of the price) they've both essentially used their minor league systems to stock the MLB coffers. Both teams are real threats to the W.S. this year. And in the end, most of the guys given up? Wont turn into much. Remember that Miguel Cabrera trade that was supposed to kill the Tigers? Maybin is the best player and he's "meh" at best. For every Bartolo Colon trade that comes with Hafner, Sizemore and Phillips, you can find a Miguel trade.

Don't get murdered in a trade. Yes. Be cautious. But we need to understand that some of Baez, Almora, Underwood, Johnson, Vogelbach, Soler, Conway, McNeil, Wells, Villenueva, Jackson, Vitters, Amaya, Torreyes (you get the picture).....some of those guys...will fail. They will burn out. Remember Trey McNutt? From nothing draft pick, to top-100 prospect, to BP org depth in two years. So will these guys. And you can't hold back Almora or Soler just because the MLB is thin there. There will always be FA's and other trades to be made.

David Price is a true ace SP. If you can get him and get him reasonably for what he is...you do it.
    #WhyNot?

People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

vCash
    Price is a FA in 2016.

vCash
    So trading for him in the 13 offseason gives you 2 years of control. If we were to trade for Price, I would hope one of our guys would raise their value so much, that we wouldn't be talking Baez, AND Almora, AND vogelbach, AND Villanueva. That's just a tad much I'd say.

vCash
    So trading for him in the 13 offseason gives you 2 years of control. If we were to trade for Price, I would hope one of our guys would raise their value so much, that we wouldn't be talking Baez, AND Almora, AND vogelbach, AND Villanueva. That's just a tad much I'd say.
    Almora and Vogelbach will be, at best, at high A at the end of the season. You're not going to get their value raised that much more. The only hope would be Baez going all Profar/Machado on everyone, tearing up high A and getting bumped to AA by mid-season and hit the ground running there, as well. But that's more long-shot than anything.

Villenueva only makes sense if the Rays think of him as a legit 2b option, which I'm unsure of. I used his name more of in terms of his value, where he's a back-end Cubs top 10, and by 2013, could be around number 11 if a few of our bigger ceiling players take jumps (plus the draft).
    #WhyNot?

vCash

2012 Free Agent and Trade Ideas Thread 18

Dickey gets 2-yr/$25 mil extension to complete trade pending physical.

What a change between the 2012 rotation (Romero/Morrow/Cecil/Alvarez/McGowan) and the 2013 rotation (Johnson/Dickey/Buehrle/Morrow/Romero)

ONE GOAL ACHIEVED!
    1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013

vCash
    I think it's possible to only have to give up one of the big 3, even in a deal for Price. If they progress the way we think they can. That said, it's going to cost much more than JUST one of those guys. If Vogelbach and Villanueva or someone else has cracked into top 100ish type value, I could see one of the big 3, 2 top 100 types, and an upside type or two(Marco Hernandez, Gioskar Amaya type guys that sit outside the org top 10, but young, projectable, you can dream on, type guys). The Rays get good hauls to begin with, but if they're trading Price? A top 20ish prospect, 2 top 100's, 2 org top 15's with upside. Thats my guess as to what they can get, or the equivalent with controllable young major leaguers.

vCash
    Yeah it looks like The Jays arent going to let injuries like last year to their rotation slow them down this up comming season. Johnson, Dickey, Buehrle, Morrow, Romero, Hutchison, Happ, and Drabek now that depth.

Boy wish the Cubs will sign Jackson and Villanueva. So then we can have Garza, Samardzija, Jackson, Wood, Baker, Feldman, and Villanueva.
    The Best Wrestler in the World.... Go Cubs!!!

vCash
    I'm with Davell that it's one and not two of the three. The Cubs have plenty of quantity, and that some of that quantity is of a quality variety. One + Vogelbach and we are in the conversation pretty easy I think.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-17-2012 at 12:27 PM.

vCash
    If things to accordingly, all 3 of those guys, plus whoever we take at 2 in the draft could ALL be top 20ish prospects next year, with Baez even being top 5. I can honestly see us adding a Price or Felix to the rotation AND an Upton or Stanton to the lineup. And the cupboard wouldn't even be bare, by any stretch.

vCash
    It's also very possible that Baez's struggles at A+ and AFL continue and he drops out of the top 50.

Page 56 of 69 FirstFirst ... 646545556575866 ... LastLast