Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 50 of 69 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
    vCash
    If we're willing to spend, I'm really wondering if Bourn isn't a legit possibility again. I've seen Seattle and Texas connected to him, but would Texas be more interested in replacing the power of Hamilton and Napoli by signing Swisher?

I don't know, that Sanchez deal just caught me so off guard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    I would pay E-Jax the 5 years at $77 mil we were offering Sanchez.

Had a dip in velocity last year, but still throws hard. Rivaled Anibal's numbers for most his career and has proven to be a workhorse. We really need to sign him in my opinion, it's a no brainer.

I think Bosio is a hell of a pitching coach, maybe not Rothschild level, but I like him. He could get Jackson back to those near-4 WAR days.
    If Theo was going for Anibal and EJax, perhaps now he'll target EJax and Villanueva? With the BJ's adding Dickey, they're likely out on bringing Villanueva back.

vCash
    Do we need two more starters though?

I think Wood is serviceable as the 5th, but he may be the odd man out once Baker gets back to 100%. Feldman is better than T-Wood imo. Assuming we add one more starter of course...hope it's E-Jax

vCash
    Edwin Jackson should be cheaper than ASanchez and has potential to be just as good. I bet we could get Jackson at 4 years $50 mil.............

Chicago Cubs, Bears, Bulls, Oregon Ducks!

vCash
    Say the Mets trade doesn't go through, the Mets don't get a good offer for Dickey, and decide they build a staff around him. They start looking for a starter....*AN OFFSEASON*:

FAs:

Edwin Jackson 3/46
    Nick Swisher 5/75
    F. Liriano 2/16
    Ronny Cedeno
    Jose Molina (1/something)
    Brandon Inge (invite)
    M. Lowe
    JP Howell
    M. Gonzalez
    Lidge (invite)

Garza/Samardzija, Alfonso Soriano, Carlos Marmol, and Wellington Castillo to the Mets for Zach Wheeler, Wilmer Flores (moving to 3B), Colin McHugh, Cory Vaughn, Wilfredo Tovar, and Steven Matz.

Travis Wood, Colin McHugh, Vitters, Jackson, Cory Vaughn, Ronald Torreyes to the Indians for Masterson, Chris Perez, and Brent Lillibridge

David DeJesus, Luis Valbuena (a twist!), James Russell, Watkins, Dolis, and Trey McNutt to the Tigers for Rick Porcello, Avisail Garcia, Casey Crosby, and Steven Moya.

Samardzija/Garza, Shawn Camp, and Junior Lake to the Angels for Garrett Richards, Peter Bourjos, Hank Conger, and Nick Maronde.

Pitching depth:

Masterson
    Jackson
    Baker
    Liriano
    Porcello
    Feldman
    Perez
    Fujikawa
    Lowe
    Howell
    Gonzaelz
    Richards
    Crosby
    Cabrera
    Vizcaino
    Wheeler
    Maronde

C: Molina/Navarro/Clevenger,Conger
    1B: Rizzo/Clevenger
    2B: Barney/Lillibridge/Inge
    SS: Castro
    3B: Cedeno/Lillibridge/Inge/ClevengerFlores

OF Swisher, Bourjos, Schieroltz, Sappelt, Avisail Garcia

Castro
    Bourjos
    Swisher
    Rizzo
    Schieroltz/Sappelt
    Cedeno/Lillibridge
    Molina/Navarro
    Barney

^ That lineup looks pretty bad. The defense is awesome. The run scoring requires some serious breakouts from the top two and Rizzo, a strong performance from the platoons, and good situational hitting. The pitching depth is good looking to me, especially in number.

Top prospects

Wheeler
    Richards
    Almora
    Soler
    Baez
    Garcia
    Flores
    Garcia
    Vizcaino
    Maronde
    Conger
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-16-2012 at 04:40 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by zack4070 View Post
    Edwin Jackson should be cheaper than ASanchez and has potential to be just as good. I bet we could get Jackson at 4 years $50 mil.............
    Unfortunately I think Sanchez was the only guy they wanted and the only guy they would bid that type of money on. I think the best reason for Sanchez is he would not have cost a draft pick. E. Jackson will cost a 2nd round pick, plus probably almost as much as Sanchez in salary. Marcum will also cost a draft pick as will Bourn, if they chose to go offense. So, IMO they will not sign any higher end guys this off season. I hope I am wrong, however. I would love to see either Marcum or E. Jackson signed, even if we give up a 2nd round pick. They can then trade Garza and make up for that 2nd round loss and get even more than that back. But Sanchez appears to have been the perfect fit for the Cubs and the way they are going about things.

vCash
    Ah good point I didn't realize that. Picking #2 this year, even though we don't have a sup pick, it's very likely that our 2nd round pick next year could slot into our top 10. Those are somewhat important as they are important additional pieces in big trades.

All this crap this offseason and starting with the trade deadline has been nothing but a bunch of blue balls teases. Seriously what COULD have been.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rcal10 View Post
    Unfortunately I think Sanchez was the only guy they wanted and the only guy they would bid that type of money on. I think the best reason for Sanchez is he would not have cost a draft pick. E. Jackson will cost a 2nd round pick, plus probably almost as much as Sanchez in salary. Marcum will also cost a draft pick as will Bourn, if they chose to go offense. So, IMO they will not sign any higher end guys this off season. I hope I am wrong, however. I would love to see either Marcum or E. Jackson signed, even if we give up a 2nd round pick. They can then trade Garza and make up for that 2nd round loss and get even more than that back. But Sanchez appears to have been the perfect fit for the Cubs and the way they are going about things.
    Marcum and Jackson don't costs picks. Only guys left that do are Lohse, Laroche, Swisher, Bourn, Soriano.
    Last edited by CUBluejays; 12-16-2012 at 09:34 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CUBluejays View Post
    Marcum and Jackson don't costs picks. Only guys left that do are Lohse, Laroche, Swisher, Bourne, Soriano.
    I want to sign Jackson, he would look good as our #3 behind Garza and Samardzja. If not though I would still get Marcum. I think its important to add one of the two since we wouldnt have to give up our pick and to give us the flexibility to move Garza at the deadline if he regains his value.

I dont see Bourne or Swisher living up to the deals they will get, Laroche probably could but obviously we dont need a 1b. For me to give up the draft pick its got to be a sure thing.

vCash
    If Jackson doesn't cost a pick then I think that's who their "backup" plan they said they'd call if Sanchez fell through.

vCash
    I would actually really like picking up Jackson.

And...here...we...go...

vCash
    TY you say jackson wants 4plus1 does that mean 5years or 4 plus an opt or something?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZamboniCub View Post
    TY you say jackson wants 4plus1 does that mean 5years or 4 plus an opt or something?
    I thought that's what he was referring to but it could also be that he wants an opt out.

TBH, I've wanted Jackson more then Sanchez (due to Sanchez's injury history) as I think he's just as good as Sanchez but with better stuff.

vCash
    I can't see Jackson getting more then 4 years at 52 million. I know his WAR and such is right there with a guy like Sanchez. But I don't think he's valued the same around the league as Sanchez and the way he's bounced around teams kinda proves that. Plus numbers like ERA still matters to teams, because they are actual results. Well in that case your talking about a guy who's had a 4.47 ,3.79 and 4.03 ERA the past 3 seasons. While playing on five different teams. That's why Jackson isn't going to get the money he wants. So at some point he will have to lower his demands and when he does the might be a good buy for the Cubs.
    Last edited by cubswin25; 12-16-2012 at 04:40 PM.
    "Too big, too strong, too fast, too good"

vCash
    Thinking about this. If that Mets-Blue Jays deal goes through, the Mets are still going to be lacking in the OF as they are not expected to get one for Dickey and they are looking to add there.

Soriano could be a fit there. I thought I remembered TY saying that the Mets did have some interest in him.

Soriano+ for Wilmer Flores+ might work.

Page 50 of 69 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast