Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast
Results 751 to 765 of 1031
  1. #751
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    40,088
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Thinking about this. If that Mets-Blue Jays deal goes through, the Mets are still going to be lacking in the OF as they are not expected to get one for Dickey and they are looking to add there.

    Soriano could be a fit there. I thought I remembered TY saying that the Mets did have some interest in him.

    Soriano+ for Wilmer Flores+ might work.
    Have a hard time believing the Mets, whom just traded their best SP, will be all that interested in a 36 year old Soriano, especially by way of giving up Flores, who's a fairly strong hitting prospect....
    #WhyNot?

    People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

  2. #752
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,150
    vCash
    1500
    why is samardzja slotted in front of someone like edwin jackson who has proven themselves as opposed to showing 1 good season?
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  3. #753
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    46,772
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    why is samardzja slotted in front of someone like edwin jackson who has proven themselves as opposed to showing 1 good season?
    Potential.

    And then. He made them pancakes.

  4. #754
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,150
    vCash
    1500
    and after you show an ability to harness that potential consistently you move up
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  5. #755
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    40,088
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    and after you show an ability to harness that potential consistently you move up
    So, what, Mike Trout should hit 7th for the Angels next season because he hasn't shown the ability to harness his potential consistently, over the course of many years, in the MLB?

    C'mon.

    Samardjiza had the better season over Edwin Jackson last year and has the potential to continue that. That's pretty simple. I don't understand why everyone has gone so pessimistic over Shark. He's obviously a risk, but, not worth talking about this negatively, either.
    #WhyNot?

    People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

  6. #756
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,741
    vCash
    1500
    Being better in one year /= better in every year. Jackson is the veteran, Jackson has outproduced him every other year of both pitchers' careers, Jackson is longer tenured in either role...

    The only reasons to start Shark is that he's the new hot boy on the team and that he was a little better in 2012. Last year was the worst Jackson's been since 2008, and by worst I mean he's been (alot) better than Shark that whole time.

    Small difference between Trout and Shark as far as talent level and production goes. Trout played every day after he came up last year and did what he did. Samardzija pitched once every 5 days from April to August.

  7. #757
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    988
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    why is samardzja slotted in front of someone like edwin jackson who has proven themselves as opposed to showing 1 good season?
    Edwin Jackson has proven himself to be what exactly?

    Samardzija had a better K/9, nearly identical BB/9 and HR/9. He had 3 less starts than Jackson, but only threw 15 less innings. His xFIP was 3.38 vs 3.79. FIP was 3.55 vs 3.85. He had an fWAR of 3.3 vs Jackson's 2.7. bWAR was identical at 1.6 even though Samardzija took 1 month off. Jackson had an ERA+ of 98 and Samardzija was 104.

    Jackson is just so average I don't get why anybody would want him at the top of the Cubs rotation. When the Cubs are trying to be good I'd be pissed if he is anything more than a #4/5 starter like he was with the Nationals.

  8. #758
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    St Louis
    Posts
    17,589
    vCash
    1500
    He's the new hot boy because he's good.

    Unless you mean as far as attractiveness in which my statement is useless.
    Last edited by CubbieSteve; 12-16-2012 at 01:18 PM.

  9. #759
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Champaign, IL
    Posts
    4,869
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    Have a hard time believing the Mets, whom just traded their best SP, will be all that interested in a 36 year old Soriano, especially by way of giving up Flores, who's a fairly strong hitting prospect....
    That was one of my thoughts, but Flores is blocked by Wright and we have seen stranger trades made. The Mets are in somewhat of a similar situation as the Cubs only they have strong young pitching in both their rotation now and coming up very soon.

    I don't think it's that unrealistic that they would have interest in potentially adding Soriano is the short term. Is it likely? Probably not but it's interesting.

  10. #760
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    15
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by JBears79 View Post
    Thinking about this. If that Mets-Blue Jays deal goes through, the Mets are still going to be lacking in the OF as they are not expected to get one for Dickey and they are looking to add there.

    Soriano could be a fit there. I thought I remembered TY saying that the Mets did have some interest in him.

    Soriano+ for Wilmer Flores+ might work.
    I highly doubt Soriano will waive his no trade rights to go from one rebuilding team to another. Plus, the weather's bad...

  11. #761
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,741
    vCash
    1500
    The weather's bad in NY? GFY. Compared to Chicago weather NY should be paradise.

    I could see some interest in Soriano - they did just give Wright a decent amount of money, probably not to lose for a half decade. Plus Flores doesn't really have a home as *his* best ML position is probably 3rd as well, which he's got great size for.

    I think they'd be way more interested if that Dickey trade, which has not going through yet, doesn't happen rather than if it does happen. If the trade doesn't go down then I see them in the Garza/Shark hunt.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-16-2012 at 01:36 PM.

  12. #762
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    15
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    The weather's bad in NY? GFY. Compared to Chicago weather NY should be paradise.

    I could see some interest in Soriano - they did just give Wright a decent amount of money, probably not to lose for a half decade. Plus Flores doesn't really have a home as *his* best ML position is probably 3rd as well, which he's got great size for.

    I think they'd be way more interested if that Dickey trade, which has not going through yet, doesn't happen rather than if it does happen.
    I was being sarcastic about the weather. That's what Soriano said about SF.

  13. #763
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    7,150
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by 1908_Cubs View Post
    So, what, Mike Trout should hit 7th for the Angels next season because he hasn't shown the ability to harness his potential consistently, over the course of many years, in the MLB?

    C'mon.

    Samardjiza had the better season over Edwin Jackson last year and has the potential to continue that. That's pretty simple. I don't understand why everyone has gone so pessimistic over Shark. He's obviously a risk, but, not worth talking about this negatively, either.
    lineups aren't constucted like a pitching staff where it is the best at the top...this is a pretty poor comp. Samardja also showed shaky control at times during the season and didn't put up the kind of season trout did. If you wanna say he could be better than jackson that is fine. I'm not ready to anoint him better after 1 season.

    We're what...1 year away from everyone wanting to ship him out and say he sucks
    Last edited by gaughan333; 12-16-2012 at 01:34 PM.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

    It is anyway, not anyways.

  14. #764
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,741
    vCash
    1500
    I was being sarcastic about the weather. That's what Soriano said about SF.
    Better be since the Tri-State area gets the best weather OF ALL TIME.

    We're what...1 year away from everyone wanting to ship him out and say he sucks
    The wind blew.

  15. #765
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    40,088
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    lineups aren't constucted like a pitching staff where it is the best at the top...this is a pretty poor comp. Samardja also showed shaky control at times during the season and didn't put up the kind of season trout did. If you wanna say he could be better than jackson that is fine. I'm not ready to anoint him better after 1 season.

    We're what...1 year away from everyone wanting to ship him out and say he sucks
    And we've also seen an entirely new Jeff Samardjiza. Notorious Cubs Debbie-Downer Keith Law even noticed it last spring training when he saw improved command he had never seen from Samardjiza. Some people just get it late.

    Samardjiza may be risky. He also had a top 30 FIP in the MLB (160 IP min), top 15 xFIP, top 5 K/9, and top 15 SIERA. That's really impressive. Certainly he needs to build upon his durability, showing that he can go 180-200 IP in 2012. But he put up a fantastic season last year, and those numbers could have even been better had he not had that one month where he was absolutely lambasted.
    #WhyNot?

    People ask me, "Why here? Why Kentucky?", I said "Why not"? It can be done here. It will be done here. Lay the foundation. Recruit and develop. Prepare to win. Day by day. Play by play. A new era of high performance. Why Kentucky? Why not? -Mark Stoops

Page 51 of 69 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •