Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 1031
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,706
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    I am nor arguing with people who are not open minded. Stewart is better than what most seem to think and might be even better if the wrist injury is behind him. Dominic Brown has not even scratched the surface of what he could become.
    Wrist injuries are never behind you. He's promises his wrist injury was behind him more or less every year since 2007.

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,796
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    The Bill James projections (which Bill James does nothing but collect rights fees for) overproject everyone by a ton.

    There was a funny Royals blog a few days ago that got all geeked up because they plugged the Royals' Bill James projections into a simulator and came up with 94 wins. Unfortunately, they then did the rest of the league and found out that was only good for third place. The Tigers were projected for 108 wins, and every American League team but the Astros were projected to be above .500.

    Just like Stewart, I don't see the upside. The whole "let's find former top prospects who've been hurt and also bad" thing has really run it's course. He's been bad at baseball for a few years now, and the safest bet is that he'll continue to be bad at baseball.
    As I said, I'm not particularly high on him, but the long term upside is no doubt there. He hasn't even had a full season worth of at bats yet (433). I'm not ready to call anyone a bust after 433 at bats.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,706
    vCash
    1500
    He also had particularly blah AAA numbers this year.

    He's 25, bad defensively, coming off multiple injuries that are known to linger, and hasn't hit in three years. Eventually, people have to accept that upside disappears and you just are what you are.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,016
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog312 View Post
    I do agree, but sometimes it's not about getting good value, it's just about getting the best value in a deal that helps the team. There is no doubt in my mind that the Cubs are better off taking a chance on Brown moving forward, so the only question for me is can they find better value anywhere? I'm not sure if they can.
    In the case of the Cubs it's most definitely about getting good value for the talent they do have.

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    5,796
    vCash
    1100
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    In the case of the Cubs it's most definitely about getting good value for the talent they do have.
    For some guys, sure. For Soriano though? He isn't a part of the future of this team. You get the best value out of him that you can. If Brown is the best value you can get, then go with that. I'd certainly like to see more, but I'd rather take Brown than hold onto him for 2 more years.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Suburbs Of Chicago
    Posts
    8,805
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    Wrist injuries are never behind you. He's promises his wrist injury was behind him more or less every year since 2007.
    He has Never had wrist surgery before to correct the issue and call me Mr. Optimistic but I think Stewart will prove everyone wrong this year. If he doesn't oh well he will still provide steady defense and hit like Carlos Pena.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    1,560
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog312 View Post
    I do agree, but sometimes it's not about getting good value, it's just about getting the best value in a deal that helps the team. There is no doubt in my mind that the Cubs are better off taking a chance on Brown moving forward, so the only question for me is can they find better value anywhere? I'm not sure if they can.
    This is how I feel about it, too. This is as high as Soriano's value is going to get and Brown is probably the best player linked to him in a trade so far. I doubt he'll hit 30 HR again. If his home run rate slows or he gets injured, his value to the team significantly plummets. Maybe Brown is not going to be an all-star but you'd get some value from trading Soriano for him as opposed to the high risk of what happens if his production drops again or he gets injured. Brown doesn't even have a full season of PAs yet at the ML level and he'll only be 25 next season....

    I don't know if I'd just settle for Brown, but I think the FO should be open to this deal if it's still available later on.
    Last edited by terencem; 12-12-2012 at 12:13 PM.

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    5,706
    vCash
    1500
    He had wrist surgery after 2010 and promised everything was all better and he'd hit again.

  9. #69
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,016
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldog312 View Post
    For some guys, sure. For Soriano though? He isn't a part of the future of this team. You get the best value out of him that you can. If Brown is the best value you can get, then go with that. I'd certainly like to see more, but I'd rather take Brown than hold onto him for 2 more years.
    If you're trading a player obviously he is not a part of the future of the team. You are getting a lesser future by selling your now talents for less.

    I doubt that Brown, by himself, is the best value you can get for Soriano. Just because Soriano is an older player does not automatically negate the fact that he can still hit really well and even play a little defense (with a good arm in the OF too).

    Trading for the sake of trading is not a good way to operate...It would be just as hapless and directionless as the last group.
    Last edited by SenorGato; 12-12-2012 at 12:17 PM.

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    2,974
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by ABE32 View Post
    Stewart played not even 1/4 of the season and he is a healthy version of himself and will be better than Valbuena and Vitters.

    I was saying if we picked up Bourn/traded for Brown/OLT and Masterson then we got the makings of a playoff team.
    bro you think we got Stewart cause he was hurt?? He was supposed to be just as healthy last year. You are dreaming if you all of a sudden think he is going to be someone productive. Best case scenario is becomes slightly below average instead of TERRIBLE.


    And the debate about Brown is null and void if they don't actually make the trade. Its still a long shot as I think the Cubs need to eat more than 10 million of the 38 million left.

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Suburbs Of Chicago
    Posts
    8,805
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by KyleJRM View Post
    He had wrist surgery after 2010 and promised everything was all better and he'd hit again.
    FALSE...he never had surgery after 2010...until now. Show me where he had surgery after the 2010 season?
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

  12. #72
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    San Francisco
    Posts
    4,342
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SenorGato View Post
    I would like to send one of Garza or Samardzija to Texas for some of their preciouses. Totally agreed that they are starved for a starter right now. Olt potentially could look mighty good completing a young infield with strong defenders at each position.

    Then send riders to the North to rescue the damsel Rick Porcello from ****** defense.

    Add a FA starter like Jackson, Dempster, or Marcum (maybe even 2 with Liriano), and I may not feel so bored with this team in 2013.
    Garza for Olt and L Martin.
    Soriano for Brown.
    Barney for Porcello.
    Marmol for Hughes.
    Boom!

  13. #73
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    North Suburbs Of Chicago
    Posts
    8,805
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by petrey10 View Post
    bro you think we got Stewart cause he was hurt?? He was supposed to be just as healthy last year. You are dreaming if you all of a sudden think he is going to be someone productive. Best case scenario is becomes slightly below average instead of TERRIBLE.


    And the debate about Brown is null and void if they don't actually make the trade. Its still a long shot as I think the Cubs need to eat more than 10 million of the 38 million left.
    No and you know I don't think silly thoughts. I am saying Stewart has had issues with his wrist since 2007 and they never found the issue until now. Even at 50% he is a better 3rd basemen than Valbuena.

    Agreed on Brown.
    BUTTERFLIES AND RAINBOWS!!!!! JP611 Just called me an ecstasy user!!!! WTF!!!

    Welcome Tyler Kolek or Brady Aiken or Carlos Rodon if not one of them say hello To Alex Jackson.

  14. #74
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    17,016
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Assman22 View Post
    Garza for Olt and L Martin.
    Soriano for Brown.
    Barney for Porcello.
    Marmol for Hughes.
    Boom!
    Not all that excited by that.

    Samardzija for Olt, Perez, and Martin.

    Soriano to the Tigers for Porcello.

    Marmol and DeJesus to the Yankees for Hughes and Turley.

    Something like that would be nice.

  15. #75
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    1,124
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by cubbybear2290 View Post
    Really? I mean, I like Coco, and would welcome him manning CF. But I'm curious as to why Theo is trying so hard to get him, or so it would seem in my mind.

    Because I feel like this is now the 3rd (?) time that Thed Epstoyer has tried to acquire in the past season and half or so, though i could be very, very wrong.

    Personally i kinda want Coco lol.
    Theo also had him in Boston. If the A's pay some amount of I belive Coco's 7mill, then yeah ok do it, but also need to trade DeJesus.
    The Best Wrestler in the World.... Go Cubs!!!

Page 5 of 69 FirstFirst ... 345671555 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •