Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Cutting transition to bulking

I have lost 80 pounds in the past year by dramatically changing my diet after having my gallbladder removed. I am lifting 4 times a week and have been doing so for a few months I see results but they are minimal I know that I have to up my caloric intake but get weary at the thought of that since I dont want to put on fat. Also with abs being one of my goals I dont want to switch up my diet as abs are made in the kitchen, but I raise my weight one day and the next struggle to do my starting point. Its getting very frustrating and I just want some input on how to transition from cutting to bulking. Also would a trainer be recommended since I cant seem to get over the next hurdle?

#KNICKSTAPE #PLAYOFF2013

vCash
    First off congrats on the weight loss man that's awesome!

The most important part about your diet is not total calorie intake but proper intake. Obviously stay away from high sugar/fatty stuff but upping the protein. Set up your body for a good workout by eating properly during the day but never forget about how important a high protein meal is after a workout. Best way I know is to slowly start upping your protein post workout so as to not jack up your metabolism and as always stay hydrated.

Sorry for the simple answer but I'm not as good with this stuff as the rest of these meat heads

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JesusNYY_Savior View Post
    I have lost 80 pounds in the past year by dramatically changing my diet after having my gallbladder removed. I am lifting 4 times a week and have been doing so for a few months I see results but they are minimal I know that I have to up my caloric intake but get weary at the thought of that since I dont want to put on fat. Also with abs being one of my goals I dont want to switch up my diet as abs are made in the kitchen, but I raise my weight one day and the next struggle to do my starting point. Its getting very frustrating and I just want some input on how to transition from cutting to bulking. Also would a trainer be recommended since I cant seem to get over the next hurdle?
    You're trying to accomplish too many goals at once, IMO.

If you want to see big gains in the weight room, you have to eat big. This means hitting around 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass and eating a surplus of calories. Do that and lift heavy and you'll get stronger. Diet is everything. If you ask me every person serious about their weight, their nutrition, and their body should weigh and measure all their food - but estimating these numbers works also.To bulk and not put on fat - try to eat consistently around 1g of protein per pound of LBM and eat about 500 calories in a surplus. You'll need to eat a lot more than your used to - you'll be going from a deficit that lost you 80 pounds in a year (which means over 500 cal deficit if 500 cal is 1/lb a week and 52 pounds - past maintenance to 500 calories over your maintenance). So you'll probably need to eat 1000-1500 calories more than your used to

You said it quite adequately - abs are made in the kitchen. This means, for most people, for abs to show, you have to be at low body fat. To get there you'll have to cut to that point and if you're cutting its unreasonable to expect legit gains to your lifting numbers. So I think you're going to have to pick between the two as a primary goal.

Personally, I'd recommend bulking and eating your high protein and caloric surplus after your 80 pound fat loss to get your strength back up. Once you make gains there, go to cut again to a low body fat but this time you'll have more muscle (and you can grow your abs in this period also) and you'll also cut more efficiently being able to exert more with newfound strength in the weight room.

On top of nutrition - sleep is essential to recovery. Your body needs sleep to grow.

All that said - you don't need to get that complicated - but its a reliable option if you're that concerned. Basically, you need to eat more. I know its scary as a former fat guy, but take it slow. Your muscles need more food to grow, though. Diet makes them as much as the weight room if not more.
    X's and O's Breakdown of each of Eli Manning's 27 Interceptions

http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...-Interceptions

vCash
    If you want a pretty good breakdown, type mike israetel in youtube. He breaks down this stuff quite nicely

vCash
    What's your goal? Are you struggling to gain strength? Are you struggling with your aesthetic goals?

I know that strength is about consistent and frequent lifting and isn't nearly as much about size as people think. I've seen 5'11" 165 guys put up 300+ with ease.