Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 104
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    36,319
    vCash
    500

    DB75 "Getting His Fat *** Back in Shape" Thread: Redemption

    Well well well...this ******* is back. Some of you might remember my adventures in losing weight, some of you might not. As a quick reminder:

    I started a log about 3 years ago tracking my adventures in ending my slopfest. Then, I weighed around 300 lbs and was aiming to get back to the 230 I weighed when not in football season. After about 20 months, I leveled out around 240lbs, but I was in the best shape of my life. I was stronger than ever in many lifts, I was leaner than ever at around 20% BF, and I was happy.

    In typical fashion, life kicked me in the balls...hard. I was unable to secure finances to return to my "elite," private university. I felt lost and at 22 going on 23, I didn't know what I was going to do with the rest of my life. Around that time, my g/f of nearly 3 years - and someone I was comfortable marrying - confessed that she was leaving me for an ex-boyfriend who was conveniently back in the picture for her. As you could imagine, I was incredibly stressed and depression loomed. For this *******, stress equals eating. A lot of it.

    On and off, I tried to get back into the gym, but I just couldn't find motivation. Nothing was going my way, and the gym left my life. Recently, I've started back at a new university, I'm about to be inducted into the nationally recognized honor society for my career field, and I have a summer and fall internship with two incredibly well-renowned companies. For the first time in who knows how long, everything is going my way. I'm beginning to feel successful, and it's time for me to look it.

    Long story short, I'm fat, and I'm changing that. Today, I weigh 283lbs, and I'm nowhere near as strong as I was. My schedule isn't going to permit me to lift like the madman I was 2.5-3 years ago. I plan to go to the gym 4 times a week (schedule permitting) and focus more heavily on cardiovascular exercise. I'm eating a much cleaner diet than when I first started last time, and I'm hoping what I learned then will allow me to finally manage my weight to achieve a sustainable, healthy weight and physique.


    Now, I don't want a pity party (before anyone thinks that). I know what I've done wrong, and I'm ready to change. I probably won't be tracking my exercises here - I'm using an app on my phone, and that works just fine for me - but I'll post random musings, general thoughts/demeanor, and probably a weekly weigh-in.
    Last edited by db75; 03-30-2013 at 10:57 PM.
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    36,319
    vCash
    500
    With all of that, what are my goals?

    I'm not setting a timeframe, but I want to get back to my strength level from my last attempt to get in shape.

    I'm going to weigh 230 again, and I'll continue to lose until I'm comfortable with the image I see. What weight that is, and what that looks like isn't something I'm going to think about right now.

    In essence, I'm going to once again be happy with how I look.

    Game on.
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    1,204
    vCash
    1500

    Debo's "Getting His Fat *** Back in Shape" Thread: Redemption

    Is there a weight goal that your aiming for? Good luck with your efforts. Life challenges can def take away motivation to workout man. About 3 years ago I lost my daughter and father within a month of each other and the **** was difficult. I would have periods of on/off at the gym but I couldn't find a rhythm at all. I feel like now finally I actually want/look forward to getting back in shape so I feel where ur coming from.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Sacramento, CA
    Posts
    4,224
    vCash
    1500
    One of the biggest mistakes people make in starting a fitness program is they feel they dont have time. For one, they think they have to be in the gym 2 hours a day 5 days week. You are most likely wasting your time being in the gym for more than an hour. I am sure you are busy, but lets face it, everyone has atleast 30 min to an hour 3-4 times a week. The hardest part is constructing a diet as buying whole foods can be expensive as well as time consuming in preparing meals.

    doing 6-8 sets of HIIT takes you like 15 min tops. Its a fast and efficient way to burn calories and enhance your CR system.

    Make sure you are tracking your progress, whether its weight loss, pictures, training logs, etc. It would be better for you IMO to post your progress as there are many people here who can help and critique

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    36,319
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker View Post
    One of the biggest mistakes people make in starting a fitness program is they feel they dont have time. For one, they think they have to be in the gym 2 hours a day 5 days week. You are most likely wasting your time being in the gym for more than an hour. I am sure you are busy, but lets face it, everyone has atleast 30 min to an hour 3-4 times a week. The hardest part is constructing a diet as buying whole foods can be expensive as well as time consuming in preparing meals.

    doing 6-8 sets of HIIT takes you like 15 min tops. Its a fast and efficient way to burn calories and enhance your CR system.

    Make sure you are tracking your progress, whether its weight loss, pictures, training logs, etc. It would be better for you IMO to post your progress as there are many people here who can help and critique
    I have a +40 hour internship commitment that's going to send me across the nation weekly for the summer, and I have a +40hour internship and 7 credit hours for the fall. I definitely am limited time wise.

    Not to be a dick, but I know what I'm doing - I know what works for my body, and I clearly know what doesn't work given my yo-yo diet pattern. I just need to do those things.


    At any rate, tonight was my weigh in (as opposed to tomorrow which'll be my weekly weigh-in standard) and I'm -3lbs on the week (280 today). We'll see how the rest of this goes, but 3 lbs after letting the "water weight" level out isn't too bad. Hopefully in the next month/two months my strength starts to come back a bit.
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Bellingham, WA
    Posts
    11,985
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    Well well well...this ******* is back. Some of you might remember my adventures in losing weight, some of you might not. As a quick reminder:

    I started a log about 3 years ago tracking my adventures in ending my slopfest. Then, I weighed around 300 lbs and was aiming to get back to the 230 I weighed when not in football season. After about 20 months, I leveled out around 240lbs, but I was in the best shape of my life. I was stronger than ever in many lifts, I was leaner than ever at around 20% BF, and I was happy.

    In typical fashion, life kicked me in the balls...hard. I was unable to secure finances to return to my "elite," private university. I felt lost and at 22 going on 23, I didn't know what I was going to do with the rest of my life. Around that time, my g/f of nearly 3 years - and someone I was comfortable marrying - confessed that she was leaving me for an ex-boyfriend who was conveniently back in the picture for her. As you could imagine, I was incredibly stressed and depression loomed. For this *******, stress equals eating. A lot of it.

    On and off, I tried to get back into the gym, but I just couldn't find motivation. Nothing was going my way, and the gym left my life. Recently, I've started back at a new university, I'm about to be inducted into the nationally recognized honor society for my career field, and I have a summer and fall internship with two incredibly well-renowned companies. For the first time in who knows how long, everything is going my way. I'm beginning to feel successful, and it's time for me to look it.

    Long story short, I'm fat, and I'm changing that. Today, I weigh 283lbs, and I'm nowhere near as strong as I was. My schedule isn't going to permit me to lift like the madman I was 2.5-3 years ago. I plan to go to the gym 4 times a week (schedule permitting) and focus more heavily on cardiovascular exercise. I'm eating a much cleaner diet than when I first started last time, and I'm hoping what I learned then will allow me to finally manage my weight to achieve a sustainable, healthy weight and physique.


    Now, I don't want a pity party (before anyone thinks that). I know what I've done wrong, and I'm ready to change. I probably won't be tracking my exercises here - I'm using an app on my phone, and that works just fine for me - but I'll post random musings, general thoughts/demeanor, and probably a weekly weigh-in.
    Damn hoe's

    New York Yankees

    Dallas Mavericks

    New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida


  7. #7
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    36,319
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Thumper 88 View Post
    Damn hoe's
    lol...I'd rather things end horribly when I'm 23 and single as opposed to ending horribly when I'm 30something and married with kids.

    But indeed.
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    36,319
    vCash
    500
    Marker #1: Drop Under 280.

    Weighed 278.5 at the gym tonight. I have a big test on Thursday, so I probably won't get back into the gym until Friday, but it felt good to be under 280, anyway.
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    New York/Florida
    Posts
    28,115
    vCash
    1500
    I don't believe debo is back. He'll have to prove it to me this time with progress pics.....preferably nude






    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    2,144
    vCash
    1500
    Its how bad you want it? What kind of need is it? The key to sucess in anything is time you give to it.

    Make it your lifestyle. Just change your outlook by saying, " I don't like the way I feel, the way im living. It changes today. "

    Yes you have time. We all do... You can give some things. I understand busy. I am in high level management, my wife full-time nurse, we have three small kids...I get it

    LARRY BIRD
    NBA WORLD CHAMPION 1981,1984,1986

    " The greatest basketball player and mind of all time. "

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    36,319
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    I don't believe debo is back. He'll have to prove it to me this time with progress pics.....preferably nude







    I'll give you all the nudes you could ever want when I fit into the lens's frame.
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    40,033
    vCash
    1500
    Debo do you work out at home? If you are doing cardio at home I have a simple tip for motivation. Workout near a mirror without a shirt on. I've done that when I need a little pick me up and reinforcement to keep going and it works.

    One thing that I've now done also after a month of working out. When I go to eat something I think is this something I'm putting into my body that my body would think is smart how ever many hours ago while i'm working my *** off? I wanted a treat of chips about 2-3 weeks ago. I read that funyons are probably the best normal style crap food to eat (still not healthy) so I bought a bag, because I will cut you also if you disagree funyons are freaking awesome. Anyway i bought it knowing that I would have to only eat one serving. I have picked up that bag probably 4 times and as I go to open it and think man all that work I did today. So long story short I haven't opened up the bag yet.


    Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    36,319
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Debo do you work out at home? If you are doing cardio at home I have a simple tip for motivation. Workout near a mirror without a shirt on. I've done that when I need a little pick me up and reinforcement to keep going and it works.

    One thing that I've now done also after a month of working out. When I go to eat something I think is this something I'm putting into my body that my body would think is smart how ever many hours ago while i'm working my *** off? I wanted a treat of chips about 2-3 weeks ago. I read that funyons are probably the best normal style crap food to eat (still not healthy) so I bought a bag, because I will cut you also if you disagree funyons are freaking awesome. Anyway i bought it knowing that I would have to only eat one serving. I have picked up that bag probably 4 times and as I go to open it and think man all that work I did today. So long story short I haven't opened up the bag yet.

    I live near campus, so I use the campus's gym. It's really pretty damn nice, but it's bro'd out, and it's hard to schedule what and when I'll do things. I always get in at least 30 minutes on the treadmill at varying speeds and inclines, and I pair ~30 minutes of weights with that the large majority of the time. I've started to go a bit later (~9pm) and it's far less packed with frat douches who don't know what they're doing and occupy all of the racks to do full body bicep curls. Long story short, I wear a shirt, but I'm a heavy sweater regardless of my weight and conditioning so the clinginess of a damp shirt makes my torso plenty apparent (read: disgusting).

    As for junk, I'm just not buying much/any of it. I bought some Girl Scout cookies two weeks ago, but I froze most of them with the intent of bringing them out when I have people over. I've changed my purchasing habits so that I just don't have garbage around me to eat. That doesn't mean I'm going to not buy bacon or not have some tasty bread every now and then. But instead of eating a sleeve of saltines, I'll eat a cup of broccoli or a bell pepper. Diet-wise, I'm just making smarter choices. I'm cutting out pop at home (I'm not opposed to getting a pop if I go to a restaurant, but I'm only going to get a small/regular sized one and not a regular/large sized 3-4 of them). I'm eating fewer sandwiches in favor of salads or baked versions of said sandwich. I'm reducing my processed food intake in favor of slightly more time consuming fresh produce. I'm really not trying to alter things so drastically that it's not sustainable in the future (that's where I've failed in the past), but I am making significant changes that are more nutritiously conscious. I'm hoping that this helps me be successful this time around, but we'll see.

    The Funyons thing is funny (and goddamn are those things tasty). When I go grocery shopping, I go to aisles with foods I'd like to eat and just stare sometimes . Some of what I've done is to look at said food (let's say fried chicken) and think about how I can take the pieces that I like about that food and make a healthier choice highlighting what it is I like about that (rather than fried chicken and mac n cheese, I made a grilled chicken salad with the flavors I like about my favorite fried chicken and added shredded parm to that. It's not the same, but it satisfies the salty, cheesy, and meaty parts of that meal in a far less artery-clogging form).

    We'll see. Aside from weight and body image issues, I'm seriously working on highlighting the positive parts of my life and limiting the negative qualities to just be a better person overall. 2013's a year of pretty big change for me, and pairing that with a slimmer, healthier, happier look is something that excites me.
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    7,775
    vCash
    1500
    sounds like a good start, are you following or semi following any particular workout or diet plan?

    Also, along with the changes in WHAT your eating, make sure you're also taking into account HOW MUCH you eat too. I've seen a few people start eating much healthier foods, but not see results cuz of the lack of portion control. I like ur style of semi satisfying your cravings in a healthier manner

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    36,319
    vCash
    500
    Yeah, this isn't my first diet rodeo...workout-wise, I'm making sure I get in 30 minutes of intense treadmill work at least 5 times a week. I'm adding strength training as my schedule permits. This week was (and the next two will be) limited by exams and papers. I'm headed home this weekend, and I'm going to bring my bike back with me, so I'll include some bicycling as my schedule permits as well.

    Portions are absolutely crucial, but eating fibrous, green vegetables (or low-sugar fruits and veggies) don't concern me much intake-wise. I'll be full before I get to the point where I've eaten too much. Either way, I'm tracking everything I put into my mouth on my phone (as well as tracking exercising), so I have a pretty good idea of where I stand day-by-day.

    The hardest part for me is keeping carbohydrates low - I ****ing love bread, so keeping it out of my apartment is task #1, really.
    How I Feel reading Cliff Stein's Contracts:



Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •