Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    vCash

$110M Payroll = Pennant Contender

Sandy is a great GM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bklynny67 View Post
    wow.... just leave it up to you to come up with more and more dream scenarios that everyone knows will not happen. Out of Bourn, Young, and Swisher we will sign exactly 0 of them. Stop with your nonsense.
    If you don't like my posts just ignore them. There is a lot of stuff thrown into this website that is not carefully thought out. You may disagree but this is a doable plan.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rdg515 View Post
    If you don't like my posts just ignore them. There is a lot of stuff thrown into this website that is not carefully thought out. You may disagree but this is a doable plan.
    It's a completely unrealistic dream scenario that should be doable, but won't.

Improving the team by spending money or not spending money is not of the plans of the Mets.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Can we stop these unrealistic scenarios?
    No. What else do we have to do while waiting for SA to do something? We could just sit back and do nothing on this website and just wait for deals to be made and then complain or praise them or suggest some affordable stuff ourselves....the latter is more fun. You don't see us posting Josh Hamilton and Zack Greinke do you???
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    I hate the notion of doing nothing, but none of those players are any special... I would rather save some money now by not spending on average players to make a run at the top free agents the next 2 years. Cody Ross and Delmon Young will not fix this team.

vCash
    No. What else do we have to do while waiting for SA to do something? We could just sit back and do nothing on this website and just wait for deals to be made and then complain or praise them or suggest some affordable stuff ourselves....the latter is more fun. You don't see us posting Josh Hamilton and Zack Greinke do you???
    Or come up with realistic scenarios like maybe signing Ross and a few pen arms. I doubt anything else will happen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by oshman800 View Post
    I hate the notion of doing nothing, but none of those players are any special... I would rather save some money now by not spending on average players to make a run at the top free agents the next 2 years. Cody Ross and Delmon Young will not fix this team.
    Sign Ross and 2-3 quality pen arms. That should make us better.

vCash
    $110 Payroll = Pennant Contender
    this team isn't a playoff contender with or without spending that additional money on the players that you suggested...you could probably add Hamilton and we'd still be a 3rd place team, at best...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Sandy is a great GM.
    yep, kind of like when American Car Companies first tried to make smaller 4 cylinder cars to compete with the Japanese cars...

He'll get us down to a similar payroll with the Pirates, Royals, Rays, Padres and Marlins; yet with even worse performance...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    The Mets have managed to defer, if my math is correct, $18 million worth of money from the 2013 payroll to the future from just Bay and Wright.

That would put their present payroll somewhere in the $70 million range (someone please correct me if the math is off).

If the spent $35 million more this winter they could build a monster team.

But I don't think they're spending much, if any of that money. The Wilpons are still paying their bills and Sandy's recent comments about the roster suggest his previous comments about making his push to improve the team this winter were simply not true.
    That's my point. Why the hell can't we have a contender now???? The depressing posts are the ones that say Cody Ross and Kelly Shoppach are all we should expect. Some of us are trying to make sense of the $35M deferred and the Johan contract [and Francisco's $6M] falling off next year. We understood going cheap when the Madoff thing was hovering but the last analysis showed that the Wilpons will end up paying back only a fraction of what Picard sought and after penny pinching and bad signings helped squash the team we are now ready to step up and return to competitiveness. I will hate it if all SA does is sign retreads and the bottom of the barrel. Does anyone here think Victorino and Pagan should have gotten 13m and 10m a year? Did we need Napoli or Greinke? Is Hamilton worth a $25M a year gamble? I think not. So the Mets remain in the hunt for the Bourns, Swishers, DYoungs on tier 2 and the Hairstons/Rosses on tier 3 who can rebuild the awful outfield. Let's see if they can sign two or three of these guys and contend in 2013 not wait til 2014. 2014 should be the breakout year when it all starts coming together but I'm not ready to hope for a .500 record for 2013.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    I think your thinking is good and that would be a fun and competitive team to watch. There are two sad realities though. The Wilpons wont give sandy a $110M payroll and even if they did payroll doesn't always equal contention (just ask the Marlins).

I'm just hoping SA continues to add young affordable talent so if/when the purse strings loosen back up we'll have one hell of a team to root for.

vCash
    That's my point. Why the hell can't we have a contender now???? The depressing posts are the ones that say Cody Ross and Kelly Shoppach are all we should expect. Some of us are trying to make sense of the $35M deferred and the Johan contract [and Francisco's $6M] falling off next year. We understood going cheap when the Madoff thing was hovering but the last analysis showed that the Wilpons will end up paying back only a fraction of what Picard sought and after penny pinching and bad signings helped squash the team we are now ready to step up and return to competitiveness. I will hate it if all SA does is sign retreads and the bottom of the barrel. Does anyone here think Victorino and Pagan should have gotten 13m and 10m a year? Did we need Napoli or Greinke? Is Hamilton worth a $25M a year gamble? I think not. So the Mets remain in the hunt for the Bourns, Swishers, DYoungs on tier 2 and the Hairstons/Rosses on tier 3 who can rebuild the awful outfield. Let's see if they can sign two or three of these guys and contend in 2013 not wait til 2014. 2014 should be the breakout year when it all starts coming together but I'm not ready to hope for a .500 record for 2013.
    Because our owners don't want to spend any money any more, isn't that obvious??

They created all that "flexibility" to avoid paying more money now. The payroll is going down significantly next year, so that is why the money is being deferred into next year and beyond.

vCash
    I don't think there''s anything wrong with your line of thinking here.

It's how we should be thinking. It's how the front office and owners should be thinking.

But they sure don't seem to be. So until we see them make some moves with all this "flexibility", then it's just more of the same BS.
    Go Grab My Belt

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Because our owners don't want to spend any money any more, isn't that obvious??

They created all that "flexibility" to avoid paying more money now. The payroll is going down significantly next year, so that is why the money is being deferred into next year and beyond.
    They created flexibility so they could make moves now. If not Wright would not have agreed to defer salary---what would be the point? SA promised him that he would make moves to get the team competitive now not later. And if the team competes early and again past the all star game then the fannies in the seats will return and the income and payroll can rise. There is no reason that this team cannot draw 3 million fans if they put a competitive team on the field. How many of you are waiting to buy tickets until you see what moves they make? The Wilpons saw attendence drop to 2.1 million and they are sure watching the slow pace of season and advance ticket sales and know we fans will not tolerate a lackluster team if they want us to buy tickets. How much does the loss of 900,000 attendees cost? If the average ticket costs $50 and another $25 goes toward concessions the team lost $67 million in gross revenue last year vs. the season before. That $67 million can go a long way to paying off loans and getting better players. My bet is that SA will do a medium level signing or two plus some third tier guys. We shall see.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

vCash
    That team would likely not even make the playoffs.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast