Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Player meeting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post

What?

You don't think 7 years in the league is a veteran?
    Not if you play the majority of those years on the Raps lol.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post

What?

You don't think 7 years in the league is a veteran?

The only thing these 7 year 'veterans' can teach our young players is how to LOSE and stay on the roster!!!

Its not quantity of the years that matter its the quality of the years that you have under you that matter. These 'vets' have been to the playoffs once in their career what the hell can they teach our young players?

Bargs can teach Jonas how to shoot the 3 pointer?

Amir can teach em how to throw his mouthpiece at the ref?

Lucas can teach Ross how to... ummm... shave his head? LOOOL

LEAFS, CHELSEA FC, RAPTORS, BLUE JAYS, COWBOYS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikeleafs View Post
    The only thing these 7 year 'veterans' can teach our young players is how to LOSE and stay on the roster!!!

Its not quantity of the years that matter its the quality of the years that you have under you that matter. These 'vets' have been to the playoffs once in their career what the hell can they teach our young players?

He's been in the league for 7 years. He has enough knowledge to know how the league works. That's considered a veteran.
    Veteran
    Noun
    A person who has had long experience in a particular field

vCash
    General responses to the thread:

1. 7 years in the league as a backup on mediocre teams may help somebody like Amir, but if we drafted somebody that's supposed to be better than him right away how much can he help? Sure he can show Jonas the ropes but Amir won't elevate Jonas to another level.

2. I'm glad Lowry's getting some flack, but if we're going to talk about selfish ball then Derozan needs to be in the conversation as well. We run constant pick and rolls and Jonas is left flailing his arms in good position but Derozan comes off the pick with his eyes on his shoes. Everybody on the team is looking to score as soon as they touch the ball. I saw us get back into a game recently with AWESOME ball movement. Fast passes, good cuts and court vision.... then completely ruin the comeback with hero ball for the final 3 minutes. The whole team needs to learn how to play together as a unit because if we don't become more than the sum of our parts, we're going to continue to play the worst ball in the NBA.

3. BC put together a team that doesn't have many true team-ball players. I'm thinking Amir and Jose are the only two that stand out as unselfish. There are virtually no facilitators outside of Calderon, so passing (even when available, with nobody cutting and nobody hitting shots) becomes such an afterthought. Bargs exemplifies this because when we're down he literally shoots every time he knows he's not going to get blocked. Derozan, LK, Pietrus.... pretty much the same.
    With that said.....

4. Casey's offense looks putrid. We've all talked about accountability and how it relates to AB but I don't see anybody (again, outside of mostly JC and Amir) playing for anything other than stats. Every time we sign a new player, they've been benched and only come here to get playing time. Pietrus has been fairly effective, but all of a sudden he's running pn'r and shooting step-back 3's. This can't be allowed by the coach. We're running a motion offense with no motion and no hint of trust in teammates. Passing seems like a chore.

5. Defense doesn't seem to matter. Only about 4 players on a whole NBA roster seem to put 100% into their assignment on any given night and that's honestly the reason I don't even care to watch games right now. I don't mind losing and I'll support a lottery-bound team but losing with a bunch of d***weeds giving half-assed effort isn't worth my time. Until they can show some passion and a bit of dedication to the fans and the game they can make themselves look awful. Frankly they're playing themselves out of ever getting another contract.

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

vCash

Once? Check again. Jose has been there twice. Amir and Kleiza both 4 times. Lucas was in the playoffs last year.

Lucas can teach a lot more than that. You are aware of who John Lucas's father is right? You understand the kind of training he has had to go through? He has a lot to offer/teach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_at_york View Post
    Once? Check again. Jose has been there twice. Amir and Kleiza both 4 times. Lucas was in the playoffs last year.

Lucas can teach a lot more than that. You are aware of who John Lucas's father is right? You understand the kind of training he has had to go through? He has a lot to offer/teach.
    Oh big freakin deal, 2 years for Jose ... LOL and Amir and Kleiza with 4 years when they were bench guys doesn't really count as they didn't play a significant role on their teams.

The point is no one on our roster who you consider a vet that can elevate our rookies skill sets.

And yes Lucas' father can teach our young players something but its his father and NOT Lucas.

vCash
    Lucas can teach you how to get dunked over by LBJ and punked by Matt Barnes.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Mund View Post

1. 7 years in the league as a backup on mediocre teams may help somebody like Amir, but if we drafted somebody that's supposed to be better than him right away how much can he help? Sure he can show Jonas the ropes but Amir won't elevate Jonas to another level.

2. I'm glad Lowry's getting some flack, but if we're going to talk about selfish ball then Derozan needs to be in the conversation as well. We run constant pick and rolls and Jonas is left flailing his arms in good position but Derozan comes off the pick with his eyes on his shoes. Everybody on the team is looking to score as soon as they touch the ball. I saw us get back into a game recently with AWESOME ball movement. Fast passes, good cuts and court vision.... then completely ruin the comeback with hero ball for the final 3 minutes. The whole team needs to learn how to play together as a unit because if we don't become more than the sum of our parts, we're going to continue to play the worst ball in the NBA.

3. BC put together a team that doesn't have many true team-ball players. I'm thinking Amir and Jose are the only two that stand out as unselfish. There are virtually no facilitators outside of Calderon, so passing (even when available, with nobody cutting and nobody hitting shots) becomes such an afterthought. Bargs exemplifies this because when we're down he literally shoots every time he knows he's not going to get blocked. Derozan, LK, Pietrus.... pretty much the same.
    With that said.....

4. Casey's offense looks putrid. We've all talked about accountability and how it relates to AB but I don't see anybody (again, outside of mostly JC and Amir) playing for anything other than stats. Every time we sign a new player, they've been benched and only come here to get playing time. Pietrus has been fairly effective, but all of a sudden he's running pn'r and shooting step-back 3's. This can't be allowed by the coach. We're running a motion offense with no motion and no hint of trust in teammates. Passing seems like a chore.

5. Defense doesn't seem to matter. Only about 4 players on a whole NBA roster seem to put 100% into their assignment on any given night and that's honestly the reason I don't even care to watch games right now. I don't mind losing and I'll support a lottery-bound team but losing with a bunch of d***weeds giving half-assed effort isn't worth my time. Until they can show some passion and a bit of dedication to the fans and the game they can make themselves look awful. Frankly they're playing themselves out of ever getting another contract.

Great post.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by C_Mund View Post

With that said.....

In all honesty, DD passed the ball a couple of times to Val in the last game, where he had bunnies, and Val just looks confused with the ball. He had the potential for an ally-oop and a short 4 foot jumper.

But I agree with everything else said. Lowry just seems to be looking for his own. Bargnani is absolutely horrid, and our team just lack any sort of depth.

vCash
    Oh big freakin deal, 2 years for Jose ... LOL and Amir and Kleiza with 4 years when they were bench guys doesn't really count as they didn't play a significant role on their teams.
    You can make the argument that you are making, except you keep embelishing things. For example, Kleiza was a key player for some of those playoff runs. He played an important role in the 2007-08 playoffs. Make your points without making things up or embelishing.

You want to talk about experience and I have been illustrating their NBA experience. I am completely ignoring their experience overseas in international competitions (where Kleiza and Jose have had some success). The argument can be made that these guys are vets.

The point is no one on our roster who you consider a vet that can elevate our rookies skill sets.
    I disagree. Jose can teach a lot about seeing the floor and how to make offensive plays for others. I am unsure what Kleiza and Amir can teach, I do admit that but I do remember back in the day that Amir was learning from 'Sheed and I have seen him bring some of 'Sheed's team building tactics to the Raptors. Whether those tactics have worked or counted for anything... well it doesn't look like they have helped much.

And yes Lucas' father can teach our young players something but its his father and NOT Lucas.
    I disagree. Have you not seen how he has been trying to talk and teach the rookies on our team. His locker is right beside Jonas's and he has been a good influence.

vCash
    He's a lot more accurate than you were.

That doesn't change the fact that the are veterans.
    Wrong.

Lucas can still teach something. Just because Lucas isn't a talented player doesn't mean he doesn't have knowledge.

vCash
    That is what you get when u give some lazy *** an contract extension for no damn reason on solely potential in which Andrea knows that he does not need to try by getting 10 million dollars in the next couple years.

Good job giving this worthless piece of **** 10 million dollars instead of drafting lamarus altridge.

Fire BC already and please take Andrea with you ( worthless piece of ****)
    Last edited by Jtaouil; 12-12-2012 at 02:52 PM.

vCash
    i don't get why you guys are beating up on poor Mike. he's got a perfectly legitimate point.
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    i don't get why you guys are beating up on poor Mike. he's got a perfectly legitimate point.
    I don't think he does and i feel he is embelishing to re-enforce his point. We have vets. Look at the players he listed, we had no chance of convincing most of those guys to come here. Also if we had signed some old 37-year old in the offseason, a lot of guys on here would have ripped BC and asked why we were wasting a roster spot on the guy when we could have let a young kid play. The things Mike wants from a vet, we get those traits from players like Jose, Lowry, Anderson, Lucas and maybe Amir.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob_at_york View Post
    You can make the argument that you are making, except you keep embelishing things. For example, Kleiza was a key player for some of those playoff runs. He played an important role in the 2007-08 playoffs. Make your points without making things up or embelishing.

You want to talk about experience and I have been illustrating their NBA experience. I am completely ignoring their experience overseas in international competitions (where Kleiza and Jose have had some success). The argument can be made that these guys are vets.

I disagree. Jose can teach a lot about seeing the floor and how to make offensive plays for others. I am unsure what Kleiza and Amir can teach, I do admit that but I do remember back in the day that Amir was learning from 'Sheed and I have seen him bring some of 'Sheed's team building tactics to the Raptors. Whether those tactics have worked or counted for anything... well it doesn't look like they have helped much.

I disagree. Have you not seen how he has been trying to talk and teach the rookies on our team. His locker is right beside Jonas's and he has been a good influence.
    There's a lot about NBA life, conditioning, etc that can be taught by our vets, but seeing as half of them are struggling for playing time on (one of...) the worst teams in the league... we need vets that can get on the court and play with some level of decorum. Guys like Jose with trade demands and LK with his "I'm actually a good post player but I'm going to shoot spot-up 3's until they pull me" attitude won't teach them ****. The problem is on the court we play like a high school team, even the guys that have been around a couple years. We sign mediocre players that treat us like a d-league team and try to run the show when they barely earned 10 minutes/game on actual playoff teams. It's an consistent attitude with the Raps and it's a big reason why we no nowhere. Peitrus went from being not wanted to starting for us over night. That's an awful sign.

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast