Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BcEuAbRsS View Post
    I told you why I want a 3-4/hybrid defense. Cheaper and becoming easier to draft, plus our 1st rounder from last year fits that scheme.
    But focusing on defense royally ****s our O

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cub_StuckinSTL View Post
    But focusing on defense royally ****s our O
    That's why I want to focus on the offense in free agency. I want to draft all defense, unless a stud on offense falls to us.

I feel our championship window has closed this season and going forward Cutler/Marsh/Forte will be the key to being a championship caliber team, offense is the future of the NFL. I would love for Urlacher/Tillman/Briggs/Peppers to be great players forever, but that won't happen. We've seen arguably the best linebacker Bears history fall apart due to an injury. Who's next to regress? Good teams don't wait for players to regress to move on from them, they are proactive and not reactive. Sure if we cut Tillman he could go somewhere and beast, but for how long? A shot at Long for 4-5 years out weighs Tillman's likely 2 more years of solid play.

vCash
    And I suppose I'm not really dying for a 3-4/hybrid defense as opposed to a younger defense. That's the main thing I want, a young/cheaper defense.

vCash
    And I suppose I'm not really dying for a 3-4/hybrid defense as opposed to a younger defense. That's the main thing I want, a young/cheaper defense.
    We all this defense to get younger and cheaper but its going to be after next year we really focus on it. This offseason Emery has to fix the OLine or it doesn't matter what they do because they still won't win because Cutler is just going to keep getting killed. In the draft he will still bring in defensive guys but FA wise the money has to be spent on the offense

vCash
    While some of the key players on D are old, there are plenty of solid, younger players on it already...Melton, Paea, Wootton, Sheamus, Conte, Wright. We definitely need to start drafting some CB's & LB's though and I think we can probably get a few more good years out of Briggs, Tillman & Jennings (Urlacher's done though IMO). Add depth and patch it up in a few spots and the D should be alright.

I'm way more concerned with the other side of the ball moving forward since you need a dynamic offense in today's NFL to realistically compete for a Super Bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleacher Bums View Post
    We all this defense to get younger and cheaper but its going to be after next year we really focus on it. This offseason Emery has to fix the OLine or it doesn't matter what they do because they still won't win because Cutler is just going to keep getting killed. In the draft he will still bring in defensive guys but FA wise the money has to be spent on the offense
    That is exactly what I've been saying. Spend free agent money on offense and draft defense. That's literally been my entire theme in this thread.

vCash
    The surprise move in the 2013 draft will be if the Bears do not select an offensive lineman in the first or second round, possibly both. The issues will be whether there are enough top talents to stock a first round or more, and picking the right one.

ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper said on Tuesday that the early analysis has three left tackles and two right tackles projected to go in the first round and at least one, maybe two, could go it the top five.

“Luke Joeckel of Texas A&M conceivably could be the No. 1 pick overall,” Kiper said. “He’s that good. He’s the Outland Trophy winner for a reason. He’s done a great job at A&M.

“And you think about Taylor Lewand from Michigan in the top 10 to 15, as is Eric Fisher from Central Michigan.”

After those, there is a drop-off at left tackle, Kiper said.

But the suddenly shaky situation with Gabe Carimi has left the Bears unsettled at right tackle, whether Carimi goes back there once his game and confidence are restored, or whether replacement Jonathan Scott is worth retaining with a new contract.

And there are two right tackles likely to go in the first round, as Carimi did. Jake Matthews from Texas A&M and Alabama’s D.J. Fluker project as first-rounders on the right side, Kiper said.

“So that’s what you have,” Kiper said. “You have five first-round tackles: three left tackles and two right tackles.”

An unintended positive in the Bears’ slide of losing four of their last five games is that each defeat bumps the Bears up a slot or three and with it an earlier spot on the clock.

The immediate impact from a rookie offensive lineman is never a given. The Bears got nothing from Chris Williams (No. 14) in 2008 primarily because of injuries. Carimi won the starting job in training camp and was playing well before suffering a week-two knee injury that ended his season.

Iowa’s Riley Reiff was a sixth offensive lineman and H-back in short-yardage situations for the first 10 games after going No. 23 to the Detroit Lions and did not start until aging veteran left tackle Jeff Backus was injured.
    http://www.windycitygridiron.com/201...news-and-notes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    While some of the key players on D are old, there are plenty of solid, younger players on it already...Melton, Paea, Wootton, Sheamus, Conte, Wright. We definitely need to start drafting some CB's & LB's though and I think we can probably get a few more good years out of Briggs, Tillman & Jennings (Urlacher's done though IMO). Add depth and patch it up in a few spots and the D should be alright.

I'm way more concerned with the other side of the ball moving forward since you need a dynamic offense in today's NFL to realistically compete for a Super Bowl.
    Exactly. The problem however is that the defense has ALOT of money in it. If forced to move on from one of Briggs or Tillman whom would you pick? I's go with Tillman.

vCash
    Exactly. The problem however is that the defense has ALOT of money in it. If forced to move on from one of Briggs or Tillman whom would you pick? I's go with Tillman.
    That's a tough one, but I don't think we have to move on from either, at least not yet.

I do think we have to move on from Urlacher though and maybe even Peppers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    That's a tough one, but I don't think we have to move on from either, at least not yet.

I do think we have to move on from Urlacher though and maybe even Peppers.
    If it's Peppers then neither of Tillman or Briggs would likely go. Peppers makes sooo much next year that I wouldn't complain if they went that route. The only reason I keep saying Tillman is because there would be no cap hit to cut him. But I think it's fair to say that Urlacher and one of Tillman/Peppers could be gone next year.
    Last edited by BcEuAbRsS; 12-13-2012 at 03:08 PM.

vCash
    I could see and agree with the Bears bringing in a FA LT and then drafting an interior lineman pretty high. I think as I mentioned before that with the other high pick, they will go MLB. Outside of maybe a speed WR, the rest of the draft would on the defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Rules View Post
    I could see and agree with the Bears bringing in a FA LT and then drafting an interior lineman pretty high. I think as I mentioned before that with the other high pick, they will go MLB. Outside of maybe a speed WR, the rest of the draft would on the defense.
    I'm not really caught up on this years draft yet, but I don't know how willing they will be to risk another "flop" like Williams and Carimi. Carimi has time and may be next years RG but he has NOT lived up to what anybody thought he should be. I think that they sign a LT for sure and one of either a LG or RT.

Jake Long/Ryan Lilja/Garza/Carimi/Webb or James Brown
    OR
    Jake Long/Webb or James Brown/Garza/Carimi/Sebastian Vollmer

Either one would be a vast improvment...

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    vCash
    I'm not really caught up on this years draft yet, but I don't know how willing they will be to risk another "flop" like Williams and Carimi. Carimi has time and may be next years RG but he has NOT lived up to what anybody thought he should be. I think that they sign a LT for sure and one of either a LG or RT.

Jake Long/Ryan Lilja/Garza/Carimi/Webb or James Brown
    OR
    Jake Long/Webb or James Brown/Garza/Carimi/Sebastian Vollmer

Either one would be a vast improvment...
    what happened to louis at LG. but yes I like that linup of Long/ Louis/ Garza/ Carimi/ Volmer

although, 1st round on Barret Jones would also just make us that much better, im not as sold on garza being that good.

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Rules View Post
    LT Long, Albert or Clady along with Barret Jones who could play multiple possisons from C to RT would make me happy. Surround that by Louis at LG, Carimi at RT or RG (he actualy hasnt played pourly there, his problem is with speed.

so our line would look like potentialy

FA LT/ Loius/ Garza/ Jones/ Carimi

FA LT/ Louis/ Jones/ ????/ Carimi

FA LT/ Loius Garza/ Carmi/ Jones

there are alog of options there.

-Rem Koolhaas

vCash
    How many more years is Peppers guarenteed ???.

-Rem Koolhaas

Page 12 of 44 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast