Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Results 1 to 11 of 11
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    471
    vCash
    1500

    Indians sign Brett Myers

    I'm not high on him, but a solid add.. 1yr deal with club option, hope it didnt cost much though

    http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2013/0...ett-myers.html

    The start of something great to come in Carolina, bring on the haters!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,517
    vCash
    1500
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....he wants to start...he's 32 (33 during the season). Hopefully it is a low risk/high reward type of deal.

    If he is capable of making 28-33 starts while keeping his ERA under 4.25 (under 4.00 would be GREAT), he should be able to get himself 12+ wins...If this is their final move of the offseason, I am less impressed...if this goes in concert with another, higher profile move, I am impressed with the direction that the Dolans are taking the team.

    Gotta give them credit for being aggressive this offseason, much better than the last 2, that's for sure!

    See, Geronimo, POSITIVE Browniebuck!!!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    469
    vCash
    1500
    So when to playoff tickets go on sale?

    One positive is he's best known for his hilarious altercation with a Philadelphia reporter in 2007. Can we send Myers to go scream at Tony Grossi the same way?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Central Ohio
    Posts
    3,625
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....he wants to start...he's 32 (33 during the season). Hopefully it is a low risk/high reward type of deal.

    If he is capable of making 28-33 starts while keeping his ERA under 4.25 (under 4.00 would be GREAT), he should be able to get himself 12+ wins...If this is their final move of the offseason, I am less impressed...if this goes in concert with another, higher profile move, I am impressed with the direction that the Dolans are taking the team.

    Gotta give them credit for being aggressive this offseason, much better than the last 2, that's for sure!

    See, Geronimo, POSITIVE Browniebuck!!!
    Well.. truth be known.. I just don't see the Brett Myers acquisition. He's been a reliever for 2 1/2 of the last 6 years and he wants to start.. He was a mediocre below average start in the NL prior to becoming a so-so reliever in both the AL and NL as he bounced between Philadelphia, Houston and Chicago. He only pitched (65) inning in 2012, all in relief. He had two bad outings in 2012 for the CWSox.. both against the Royals. His K rate as a reliever has gone down each of the last three years even though his FB velo has moved from 93 as an RP to 89 as an SP.. . He made $ 11 MM for his 2012 pitching display on the South Side.. In short, he's not worth what the Rays gave Fausto on a one year deal..imho..

    He's the Aaron Cunningham / Derek Lowe of the Indians off season. This guy blows.. How's that for Optimism?...

    edit.. happy?
    Last edited by GeronimoSon; 01-02-2013 at 08:23 AM. Reason: incorrect IP for 2012..

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Canton, Ohio
    Posts
    2,517
    vCash
    1500
    He pitched 65.1 innings last year...34.2 with Chicago and 30.2 with Houston (70 appearances with a very respectable 3.31 ERA...and actually had 19 saves with Houston before being traded to CHW (perhaps closer insurance if we trade CP???). Last year was also his first full year as a reliever...making 30+ starts in 3 of the previous 4 seasons with Houston and Philly.

    I HIGHLY doubt that he is getting anywhere near the $12 million that he got last year...so, until we get the number associated with this deal, I am going to withhold judgement about good/bad signing. If low $$$, I like the signing. If high $$$, I like it a whole lot less!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    cleveland
    Posts
    7,917
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by browniebuck View Post
    He pitched 65.1 innings last year...34.2 with Chicago and 30.2 with Houston (70 appearances with a very respectable 3.31 ERA...and actually had 19 saves with Houston before being traded to CHW (perhaps closer insurance if we trade CP???). Last year was also his first full year as a reliever...making 30+ starts in 3 of the previous 4 seasons with Houston and Philly.

    I HIGHLY doubt that he is getting anywhere near the $12 million that he got last year...so, until we get the number associated with this deal, I am going to withhold judgement about good/bad signing. If low $$$, I like the signing. If high $$$, I like it a whole lot less!
    Couldn't agree more
    For not honoring a sig bet I now own YEDB90

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    1,241
    vCash
    1500
    I'm still not sure we are competitive. There is a rumor about Shawn Marcum. When healthy, Marcum's a good pitcher. Its that healthy part that'll getcha. But, if you get him for a 1 year deal...we really can't lose.

    scenario for Myers and Marcum:
    1. we're good and he's good. perfect
    2. we suck and he's good...trade him
    3. we're good and he sucks. oh well
    4. we suck and he sucks...at least it was only a one year deal.
    Last edited by Sacco111; 01-02-2013 at 02:01 PM.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    9,557
    vCash
    1500
    CBS Sports' Jon Heyman reports that Brett Myers' new one-year deal with the Indians is worth $7 million.
    This presumably includes the buyout for the 2014 club option. It's a nice chunk of change for Myers, who posted a 3.31 ERA and 41/15 K/BB ratio over 65 1/3 innings of relief last season with the Astros and White Sox. The Indians plan to use him as a starter.
    http://www.rotoworld.com/playernews/...ll-player-news

    Not too disappointed in this move. If they don't compete and he doesn't pan out as a starter then no harm done as probably could move him at the deadline for prospect to a team looking for bullpen help. This is basically an Austin Kearns signing that could end up netting another McAllister if lucky. If he does well starting and the team is competing around the deadline then that is all that much better especially now not having to depend on Carrasco as much as they would have been if they didn't pick up a veteran SP. It is a nice chunk of change for Myers but with todays market for SP'ing, I don't mind the deal for being one year with an option for a second.


    TIME TO GET ANOTHER ONE. #DALLAS2DALLAS #BALLISLIFE

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Corning, NY
    Posts
    5,721
    vCash
    1500
    One year deals don't sink franchises. Not a bad move.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    1,729
    vCash
    1500
    I'd much rather prefer him in the bullpen, as a viable option. He's been too inconsistent as a starter throughout his career, whereas, he's found higher success in a reduced role.
    http://www.tumblr.com/tagged/oscar-taveras
    ~ Oscar Taveras ~ The next Phenom

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    Posts
    9,557
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by STL Don View Post
    I'd much rather prefer him in the bullpen, as a viable option. He's been too inconsistent as a starter throughout his career, whereas, he's found higher success in a reduced role.
    The good thing about this though is it allows one of Bauer or Carrasco to stay down for some time while figuring out if Myers can come back and start again like he did in 2010 and 2011 where he started over 30 games and 200 innings. They aren't looking for the guy to set the world on fire but instead be an innings eater to get to them to their stacked bullpen arms like Derek Lowe last year. He is a 4th starter on this team not their 1,2 or 3. He is another consistant player that they picked up that hopefully can transition back to starting this year but if not then he can always be used as a trade chip come July and if they are competing but dont want to move him and call up Bauer or Carrasco if they are ready then he can always be moved to the pen.


    TIME TO GET ANOTHER ONE. #DALLAS2DALLAS #BALLISLIFE

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •