With all of these Olt/Napoli/Morse threads, let's get it back to 1B.
With the Sox not willing to deal high specs, and the dearth of choices available, I have two options.
1. Sign Napoli - 1 year or more (no comment really needed)
2. Move Salty to 1B
The advantages of Salty at 1B:
- Taking him from behind the plate is liable to increase his offensive output - works that way for most Catchers
- He's played 1B in the Majors before (40 games), not a lot, but he's liable to be better than Morse at 1B
- He'd still be in play as a trade chip for C/1B through the end of the waiver period if we come up with a better option, or the Sox are out of it, and and to cash him in.
- Short term solution
- Not a viable #5 hitter (even if his slash goes up), but a very potent #7 hitter.
Perhaps the reason Salty hasn't been traded is because he's Napoli falling through insurance.