Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DisgruntledGoat View Post
    You know If you look at this from a dispassionate point of view it's very indicative of Dickey's personality, I read his book(very well written, could have done without all the prayers though and I think he completely copped out on what lead to his having an affair)and it seems this is a person who likes to shoot himself in the foot, simply put he could have said "look today is about the kids and Christmas and giving back some joy to those who lost so much..." or something along those lines, instead he used it as a forum to try and gain leverage/attention, For a man who carries himself so humbly this was definitely and distinctly hubris rearing its head(that also seemed to be a factor in his past as well)

I don't agree with how he is being treated by the team but perhaps not all of the blame rests with Sandy and The Wilpons...I'm going to keep an open mind as this plays out but I'm beginning to lean toward this season being his Met "farewell" tour
    Interesting perspective and i agreed with your take on the book. I found it interesting that here was a guy who had to work so hard for everything he he had and yet he was so eager to attribute his success to God. To each his own I suppose.

You're right, he could have responded to the questions that way, but I don't recall anytime when he's ever pulled punches. And as much as I like to make him out to be a deity, the fact is he's just a human being and he has every right to feel frustrated with the negotiating process, even though Sandy and friends also have every right to negotiate the way they believe best represents their interests.

Also, let's not make it sound like RA held a press conference at the Christmas party. The media stuck mics in his face, asked him questions, and he answered them.

If Sandy and friends didn't like the narrative, perhaps they should have taken a different tact in the negotiating process.

What's fair is fair.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    I would also contrast Dickey's upfront answering of questions to the Mets anonymously leaking word of their "unhappiness" with Dickey. Classic slug behavior.

vCash
    Why are we so understanding of Dickey being "frustrated" with whatever negotiations. The Mets are frustrated too yet we seem to lack the same understanding of their point of view.

It's two sides with a different $$$$ value in mind. Both sides are "frustrated" and neither side is wrong.

Just like buying a car. I can't believe they won't sell it for $30, the dealer can't believe he can't get $35. Neither side is wrong.

Everyone automatically sides with the player. Maybe Dickey is wrong.

I dunno.

vCash
    The difference is that the Mets have a ridiculous history of making stupid comments about their own players - comments about being unhappy with what they said at a party, comments about not being happy about their off field activities, etc.

No one committed a crime here. But the Mets organization doesn't deserve any slack for the fairly useless comments they often make about their own players.

I don't remember Dickey ever being negative about anything before this.

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    This:

milominderbinder
    I would also contrast Dickey's upfront answering of questions to the Mets anonymously leaking word of their "unhappiness" with Dickey. Classic slug behavior.

And this:

GottaBelieve:
    The difference is that the Mets have a ridiculous history of making stupid comments about their own players - comments about being unhappy with what they said at a party, comments about not being happy about their off field activities, etc.

No one committed a crime here. But the Mets organization doesn't deserve any slack for the fairly useless comments they often make about their own players.

I don't remember Dickey ever being negative about anything before this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post
    Why are we so understanding of Dickey being "frustrated" with whatever negotiations. The Mets are frustrated too yet we seem to lack the same understanding of their point of view.
    Because in this case Dickey is right and the Mets are wrong. Dickey is asking $13M a year, and the Mets started out offering $7M. But we all know Dickey will get his $13M per on the open market.

If Dickey were asking $25M a year (about what Greinke got) and the Mets offered $12M, that would be a different story.

vCash
    Pitchers Dickey's age will never get $25M a season.

vCash

Mets unhappy with Dickey

And pitchers who win Cy Young awards won't ever accept $7 million per year offers.

What he is asking for is reasonable.

vCash
    The Mets are stalling to get a legitimate trade offer.

ďNinety percent Iíll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent Iíll probably waste.Ē
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Pitchers Dickey's age will never get $25M a season.
    Yeah that was my point. In 2006 though, the price for a 41-year old Cy Young winner was $16M/yr. I doubt the going rate is lower right now.

vCash
    I would be shocked if any high profile free agent ever signs here as long as the current individuals are running things. Unless the player is strictly hung up on money they had be better start turning out some superstar homegrown players but even then when it comes to contract time they will tarnish the players image to justify getting rid of them. The Mets have officially become the worst run franchise in baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    The Mets are stalling to get a legitimate trade offer.
    I believe this as well. The Mets are waiting until the big name FA's have signed, which they are hoping will leave some team desperate to trade for Dickey. It could be the Rangers, or hell, it could be the Angels. They desperately need somebody who can come in and replace Dan Haren, because their rotation could be awful.

vCash
    I still don't get it. Dickey is more marketable with a 3/31 contract than with a one year contract - not less. If you want to trade him first sign him to the home town discount he is offering.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jomota48 View Post

It's two sides with a different $$$$ value in mind. Both sides are "frustrated" and neither side is wrong.

Just like buying a car. I can't believe they won't sell it for $30, the dealer can't believe he can't get $35. Neither side is wrong.

Everyone automatically sides with the player. Maybe Dickey is wrong.

I dunno.
    Very simple. We root for players, not for GMs or owners.
    FELLOW SATINISTS INCLUDE:
    FoC, YS, Harry, Zmaster, Gotta, ArkansasMetsFan, KingsnQueens7, The-rock-man, Wrigheyes4MVP, Vendetta, Jim Labruno

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Very simple. We root for players, not for GMs or owners.
    If only that were true around here.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast