Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

vCash

**Rashard Mendenhall suspended**

A forgettable season for Rashard Mendenhall should be his last in a Steelers uniform.

The Steelers announced that Mendenhall has been suspended one game for conduct detrimental to the team. A source told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that the team disciplined Mendenhall because he didn't show up to Heinz Field after he was told he wouldn't play. The suspension will cost Mendenhall $41,176.

Mendenhall Mendenhall has been inactive for the past two games since fumbling twice on four carries against Cleveland. Steelers coach Mike Tomlin said last week that Mendenhall would get "an opportunity to redeem himself." After this suspension, I would bet against that happening now.

The benching was an indication that Mendenhall was in the doghouse. The suspension indicates he will likely not be back with the Steelers next season, and the Steelers really have no reason to want him back. He was hurting the team on the field and now he's a distraction in the locker room.

Mendenhall, the team's leading rusher for the past three seasons, has battled injuries (offseason knee surgery and an Achilles injury) but he hasn't been effective when healthy. He is third on the team this season with 113 yards rushing and has averaged 3.3 yards per carry.

It would be surprising to see the Steelers try to retain Mendenhall, the 23rd overall pick in the 2008 draft. He is an unrestricted free agent after the season.

The Steelers have gone with Jonathan Dwyer as their starter and Isaac Redman as the backup. Dwyer and Redman are both restricted free agents in 2013. It's also possible that the Steelers will select a running back early in the 2013 draft.

It was a dramatic fall for Mendenhall, who had averaged 1,103 yards rushing in the previous three seasons. He came back from a severe knee injury suffered in last season's finale, but he never had the same impact as before.

Mendenhall has made headlines before, but it was his poor decision on Twitter. In May 2011, he ignited a Twitter controversy by questioning the events of 9/11 and expressing sympathy for Osama bin Laden.

The Steelers were able to move past that incident. The team needs to part ways with him after the season for this latest one.

vCash
    Hope he does well somewhere else I still hate Dwyer as the starter

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm2054 View Post
    Hope he does well somewhere else I still hate Dwyer as the starter
    Ima start calling him Dwyer Dozer

vCash
    See ya later Mendenhall... (hopefully) Hello Monte Ball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HouRealCoach View Post
    See ya later Mendenhall... (hopefully) Hello Jon Dwyer as primary, Isaac Redman as 2nd/change of pace back, and Rainey as 3rd down back
    Agree

As if there was any more doubt that Mendy wouldn't be back next year after Dwyer's and Redman's good games. He's just lowering his price tag even more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ring91013144043 View Post
    Agree

As if there was any more doubt that Mendy wouldn't be back next year after Dwyer's and Redman's good games. He's just lowering his price tag even more.
    I hate Dwyer I want monte ball

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jrm2054 View Post
    I hate Dwyer I want monte ball
    I don't get how anyone can hate or have any opinion on running backs. They are 100% a product of offensive line and play calling. When the offensive line played well, it didn't matter who the running back was. We had Dwyer run for 100 consecutive weeks, then a completely new running back in Redman run for 100 himself. When the offensive line plays poorly, each running back averages less than 3 ypc. It has nothing to do with who the running back is, and everything to do with the offensive line. Montee Ball won't be any better than Dwyer or Redman unless the line stays healthy.

There are different styles. Speedier running backs who outrun you vs heavier running backs who run you over, but I believe that it's not pure "talent" that made Chris Johnson, a fast RB, better than Reggie Bush or Darren Sproles. It's how many running lanes are open for them, and how they're used by the OC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ring91013144043 View Post
    I don't get how anyone can hate or have any opinion on running backs. They are 100% a product of offensive line and play calling. When the offensive line played well, it didn't matter who the running back was. We had Dwyer run for 100 consecutive weeks, then a completely new running back in Redman run for 100 himself. When the offensive line plays poorly, each running back averages less than 3 ypc. It has nothing to do with who the running back is, and everything to do with the offensive line. Montee Ball won't be any better than Dwyer or Redman unless the line stays healthy.

There are different styles. Speedier running backs who outrun you vs heavier running backs who run you over, but I believe that it's not pure "talent" that made Chris Johnson, a fast RB, better than Reggie Bush or Darren Sproles. It's how many running lanes are open for them, and how they're used by the OC.
    Case in point: Deangelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart, two RBs who have average over 5 YPC over their careers; this year under 4 YPC. In defense of guys like AP, CJ, and DWill -- some RBs just have better vision than others too. Those are the guys who can find the cutback lane when the designed lane is clogged.

vCash
    Rashard Suspendenhall...

RBs are the most plug-and-play position in the NFL, so there's absolutely no reason to draft one in the first round. Mendenhall is the first first-round failure of the Kevin Colbert era, and 2008 is easily his worst draft.

How appropriate that his last carry for the Steelers was a fumble behind the line of scrimmage?

By the way, if the Steelers are going to suspend players for not showing up on game day, then there are only 10 players who don't deserve to be suspended this week.
    "...more talking went on between us all until [Roethlisberger and his entourage] left the bar. Then I seperated with [name redacted] and the other girls and went with another group, and everything else happened, and I was told about it this morning and felt I needed to give my statement. Looking back and hearing all of the details, it seems to me that it was a set-up, and so I think this needed to be told."

-Victoria Garofalo, Zeta Tau Alpha sorority sister, in a statement to the GBI

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DBR96A View Post
    Rashard Suspendenhall...

RBs are the most plug-and-play position in the NFL, so there's absolutely no reason to draft one in the first round. Mendenhall is the first first-round failure of the Kevin Colbert era, and 2008 is easily his worst draft.

How appropriate that his last carry for the Steelers was a fumble behind the line of scrimmage?

By the way, if the Steelers are going to suspend players for not showing up on game day, then there are only 10 players who don't deserve to be suspended this week.
    1. I wouldn't exactly call Mendenhall a bust. He gave us great performances in horrendous situations in 2009 and 2010, and in 2010 especially he helped make it possible for us to get to the Super Bowl by producing like he did during Roethlisberger's suspension. The rest of 2008, sure. But Mendenhall, while not a superstar, I don't think he warrants the "bust" label.

2. I'm pretty sure inactive players are present and on the sideline during home games.

vCash
    I have no problem with Dwyer...

vCash
    Damn. What a bummer. Show must go on
    Representing Dodgers,Steelers,Lakers,Anaheim Ducks,USC Trojans and Barcelona.

vCash
    Goodbye Mendy. It was frustrating knowin you. Good luck.
    TWINSIES!!

vCash
    Mendy was like my exgirlfriend that I hated from day 1.

Big THX to MJ's Bulls and pheagles10 on the sig help!
    Dear T-Mac,
    I miss you.
    Love,
    The Rim

vCash
    Adios Mendy. I'm not going to lie, I liked Mendy. But everything must come to an end at some point, and his time with us is definitely over.

Looking forward, I like Dwyer a lot. If he can stay healthy, I can easily see him being a workhorse back who can do the dirty work that every Steelers RB should. We don't need flash, we need consistency and tough yards. Dwyer I think can do that.

With that said, I love Ball and think he'll be a good NFL RB. If we can get him in the 2nd I say go for it, I wouldn't touch him in the 1st though- we have more pressing needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by CubbieSteve View Post
    JDM : Jumbo Dick Man

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast