Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by theslick1 View Post
    I've been out of pocket for the past 3 weeks so I've missed a lot but were the Yankees linked to Jeff Keppinger at all? I see that he signed for 3/12 with the White Sox. He's the guy I had hoped we might end up with.
    Offered him a two year deal according to reports.

Welcome to KC, Miss Kacie!

vCash
    Kevin Youkilis and Yankees Stadium

The contract is still pending a physical (hardly a slam dunk given his recent back problems), but the Yankees agreed to sign Kevin Youkilis to a one-year contract worth $12M yesterday. The deal shores up the third base position in the wake of Alex Rodriguez‘s new hip injury, and it also gives the team some lineup balance after losing the right-handed hitting Russell Martin and switch-hitting Nick Swisher. Youkilis has been trending in the wrong direction the last few years, but he is just one year removed from a 126 wRC+ season.

As a right-handed batter, there’s no doubt Youkilis benefited from playing in Fenway Park all those years. In fact, during his peak years from 2008-2010 (.308/.404/.560, 150 wRC+), no hitter was more productive when it came to pulling the ball. Youkilis hit .478/.476/.959 (280 wRC+) (!!!) when he pulled the ball during that three-year stretch, thanks in very large part to the Green Monster. As a right-handed batter, all he had to do was take aim for that sucker and watch routine fly balls go for doubles.

Youkilis won’t have that luxury in Yankee Stadium. It’s a good park for left-handed hitters thanks to the short right field porch, but left field and left-center field in particular are a different story. The park is almost exact league average when it comes to surrendering doubles and homers to right-handers according to the park factors at StatCorner, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It just means righties don’t get the same ballpark boost as lefties. Youkilis remains a pull hitter, with 47% of his balls in play going to left field this season and only 22% going the other way to right. Here’s his spray chart for the season (courtesy of Texas Leaguers)…

Most of his hits came to the pull side, but Youkilis did hit for some power to right field (.239 ISO) and that’s what you’re looking for in Yankee Stadium. His natural stroke isn’t to the opposite field like say, Martin’s and Derek Jeter‘s, but there’s enough opposite field ability to allow Youkilis to take advantage of the short porch on occasion. He’s a pull hitter, but not an Andruw Jones-esque dead pull hitter who couldn’t go the other way if his life depended on it.

As friend of RAB Patrick Sullivan pointed out yesterday, Youkilis hit just .158/.248/.237 (!) in his 242 plate appearances outside of hitter-friendly Fenway Park and U.S. Cellular Field last season. It’s not a huge sample but it is definitely a little worrisome to see a road performance that poor, especially when a guy is outside of two parks tailor-made for his swing and approach. There’s some evidence that Youkilis can take advantage of the short right field porch, but for the most part Yankee Stadium will not help his offense much this season. It’s not an ideal fit, but the options were limited.

http://riveraveblues.com/2012/12/kev...stadium-80469/
    Last edited by RCSownsU; 12-12-2012 at 06:49 PM.

vCash
    Yikes. Eyesore.

vCash
    Damn...classic "buying a name" instance.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    Yup. It's easy to say it's just one year. But Reynolds was cheaper and the difference would have brought our catcher back. I prefer Martin & Reynolds to Youk. Or Chavez and Martin to Youk. Just feels like a lot of money for a guy who is declining and can't stay healthy.
    feels like a lot of money for the guy when they have a younger cheaper more permanent homegrown guy with potential pouring out of his anus already on the team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry Dunn View Post
    feels like a lot of money for the guy when they have a younger cheaper more permanent homegrown guy with potential pouring out of his anus already on the team
    like david adams
    THE GOAT

Until a player reaches these PA numbers, lets not talk about how good they are.

The Following PA's are when sample size stabilizes

50 PA: Swing %
    100 PA: Contact Rate
    150 PA: Strikeout Rate, Line Drive Rate, Pitches/PA
    200 PA: Walk Rate, Groundball Rate, GB/FB
    250 PA: Flyball Rate
    300 PA: Home Run Rate, HR/FB
    500 PA: OBP, SLG, OPS, 1B Rate, Popup Rate
    550 PA: ISO

vCash
    I like this provided he stays off the DL and mashes against Boston.

vCash
    Still would have given Nunez a shot, young, healthy, cheap, got speed and a bit of power. Sure he is loose in the field but I could live with it. For me his positives out way his negatives.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post
    Kevin Youkilis and Yankees Stadium

The contract is still pending a physical (hardly a slam dunk given his recent back problems), but the Yankees agreed to sign Kevin Youkilis to a one-year contract worth $12M yesterday. The deal shores up the third base position in the wake of Alex Rodriguez‘s new hip injury, and it also gives the team some lineup balance after losing the right-handed hitting Russell Martin and switch-hitting Nick Swisher. Youkilis has been trending in the wrong direction the last few years, but he is just one year removed from a 126 wRC+ season.

As a right-handed batter, there’s no doubt Youkilis benefited from playing in Fenway Park all those years. In fact, during his peak years from 2008-2010 (.308/.404/.560, 150 wRC+), no hitter was more productive when it came to pulling the ball. Youkilis hit .478/.476/.959 (280 wRC+) (!!!) when he pulled the ball during that three-year stretch, thanks in very large part to the Green Monster. As a right-handed batter, all he had to do was take aim for that sucker and watch routine fly balls go for doubles.

Youkilis won’t have that luxury in Yankee Stadium. It’s a good park for left-handed hitters thanks to the short right field porch, but left field and left-center field in particular are a different story. The park is almost exact league average when it comes to surrendering doubles and homers to right-handers according to the park factors at StatCorner, which isn’t necessarily a bad thing. It just means righties don’t get the same ballpark boost as lefties. Youkilis remains a pull hitter, with 47% of his balls in play going to left field this season and only 22% going the other way to right. Here’s his spray chart for the season (courtesy of Texas Leaguers)…

Most of his hits came to the pull side, but Youkilis did hit for some power to right field (.239 ISO) and that’s what you’re looking for in Yankee Stadium. His natural stroke isn’t to the opposite field like say, Martin’s and Derek Jeter‘s, but there’s enough opposite field ability to allow Youkilis to take advantage of the short porch on occasion. He’s a pull hitter, but not an Andruw Jones-esque dead pull hitter who couldn’t go the other way if his life depended on it.

As friend of RAB Patrick Sullivan pointed out yesterday, Youkilis hit just .158/.248/.237 (!) in his 242 plate appearances outside of hitter-friendly Fenway Park and U.S. Cellular Field last season. It’s not a huge sample but it is definitely a little worrisome to see a road performance that poor, especially when a guy is outside of two parks tailor-made for his swing and approach. There’s some evidence that Youkilis can take advantage of the short right field porch, but for the most part Yankee Stadium will not help his offense much this season. It’s not an ideal fit, but the options were limited.

http://riveraveblues.com/2012/12/kev...stadium-80469/
    Sounds alot like a right handed version of Mark Teixeira. If we bat these two back to back we'll have a 1-2 combo like no other in baseball.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    i hate him
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Sounds alot like a right handed version of Mark Teixeira. If we bat these two back to back we'll have a 1-2 combo like no other in baseball.
    A right handed version of a switch hitter? I know what you're saying but it still sounds weird. This will be a weird year.
    "I'm not fat, I just have a sweet hockey body." -Eric Cartman

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Steve Brule View Post
    A right handed version of a switch hitter? I know what you're saying but it still sounds weird. This will be a weird year.
    Mark's R/L splits weird.

Over his three years as a yankee.

Right handed- .283/.377/.550/.927
    Left Handed- .236/.333/.451/.791

He also strikes out at an alarmingly different rate - 230 SO against Right Handed pitchers , 85 SO against left handed pitchers.
    Last edited by RCSownsU; 12-13-2012 at 10:27 PM.

vCash
    All stats aside, I am really not going to enjoy looking at this guy's ugly face and horrifically annoying batting stance. This will be one of the first times I can honestly say it will be difficult to root for a Yankee. I have hated him for so many years... so many years.

Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

vCash
    until he helps us win games then everyone will be all over his balls

vCash
    I like the move i think he can be a good fill-in for when Arod comes back in August although i would have preferred Chavez and its going to look creepy seeing him in a Yankees uniform.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast