Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: How good of a team is this?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Realistic, Long and Short Term Contender

2 5.88%
  • Realistic, Long Term Contender

0 0%
  • Realistic, Short Term Contender

1 2.94%
  • Realistic, Not a Contender

0 0%
  • Not Realistic

31 91.18%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

SenorGato's Cubs Mock Offseason

Remember, these are not based on what you think what will happen or whether or not the players want to come to Chicago. Vote based on whether the deals and trades are realistic and whether the team is a contender or not.
    FAs:

Greinke (7/145)
    Hamilton (5/100)
    Polanco (1/1)
    Stewart (1/2)
    Liriano (1/8 with an option for 2/16)
    Fujikawa
    Baker
    Navarro
    Feldman
    Schierholtz (1/2.3)

Jeff Samardzija, David DeJesus, and James Russell to the Yankees for RHP David Phelps, LHP Nik Turley, OF Tyler Austin, C JR Murphy, RHP Mark Montgomery, and 2B Angelo Gumbs.

Carlos Marmol, Shawn Camp, David DeJesus, Logan Watkins, Ronald Torreyes, and Rafael Dolis to the Tigers for Rick Porcello, Casey Crosby, James McCann, and Collin Ballester.

Travis Wood, Alberto Cabrera, Matt Szczur, Robert Whitenack, Gioskar Amaya, Matt Szczur, and Trey McNutt to Indians for Shin-Soo Choo, Chris Perez, and Nick Hagadone.

Alfonso Soriano to the Phillies for Domonic Brown and Michael Schwimer.

C: Castillo/Navarro
    1B: Rizzo
    2B: Barney
    SS: Castro
    3B: Polanco/Stewart
    UT: Valbuena
    UT: Clevenger

LF: Choo
    CF: Hamilton
    RF: Brown
    UT: Schierholtz
    UT: Sappelt

Greinke
    Garza
    Liriano
    Porcello
    Baker

Perez
    Fujikawa
    Feldman
    Hagadone
    Phelps
    Schwimer/Crosby

Payroll comes to ~119.

I overdid it on the trades...for instance that Yankees trade started off being written as another Vizcaino type trade...DeJesus and Russell for Turley, one of the best LHSP sleepers in the minors. The Tigers trade is unrefined at best, mostly to show that I would like to target Porcello.

Tons of movable parts here...
    This is the last one I received. If by some chance I missed anybody's mock, then please let me know. If not we'll give Gato's a couple days and then tally up the votes.

Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

vCash
    {Ron!n}, I so wish you posted all of Gato's mocks in one place. It'd be fun to see them with track changes applied. Dedicated, if anything.

I agree that the trades are a bit involved, but that's acknowledged in the notes. The free agent section is damn near spot on and well within reason. When was this submitted? I can't imagine anyone predicting all of Baker, Feldman, Fujikawa, Navarro, Schierholtz and Stewart.

Plenty of flexibility going forward, and a contender.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    you gave the indians Matt Szczur twice, you must really not like him.
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash

SenorGato's Cubs Mock Offseason

Not to mention, he traded DeJesus in two different trades

ONE GOAL ACHIEVED!
    1934, 1938, 1961, 2010, 2013

vCash
    David DeJesus is both a Yankee and a Tiger. Way to get value.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CubsRule08 View Post
    Not to mention, he traded DeJesus in two different trades
    Quote Originally Posted by gaughan333 View Post
    you gave the indians Matt Szczur twice, you must really not like him.
    I completely missed those. It may actually be reason enough to like this mock even more.

I heard you were looking for me.

vCash
    The Yankee trade is pretty easily adjusted for without DeJesus. The way it is written above, I think the Yankees are making out. Getting rid of DeJesus probably makes it only moderately a good trade for Yankees and moderately bad one for Cubs.

That Grienke contract scares the bejesus out of me.

A lot of these trades are like for like, or basically getting the same level of talent, but slightly younger. They are all within the realm of possibility but it feels like they are all barely too light on the talent Cubs are giving away. Might want to either simplify or add a bit more bulk to make them a bit more realistic.

On the whole, this is the only one I have replied to because thus far, it is the only one that feels worthy of discussion.
    Next year, we are totally going to win a playoff game.

vCash
    Obviously the trades need some editing but I love the premise.

Love the Grienke and Hamilton additions. Their contracts don't scare me at all.

I don't like the Shark trade though because I think we can get more if he's involved.

Realistic Short and Long term for me.

vCash
    The idea that the top hurler and the top bat would sign with the cubs for below market value makes it unrealistic in my mind, but I like some of the trades. Not sure we're getting good value in that Yankee trade though.
    Yeah it's a palindrome
    Go Cubs Go! O-H! Go CBJ! Go Phins!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckcub View Post
    The idea that the top hurler and the top bat would sign with the cubs for below market value makes it unrealistic in my mind, but I like some of the trades. Not sure we're getting good value in that Yankee trade though.
    my thoughts
    Save the kittens, ignore sbs' posts
    Red Sox hater since 10/2011

It is anyway, not anyways.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gooner View Post
    On the whole, this is the only one I have replied to because thus far, it is the only one that feels worthy of discussion.
    And yet, I don't see gooner's Cubs Mock Offseason...

vCash
    I like the mock honestly. That said, I didn't think getting the two top FA available was very realistic. It was more than made up for with calling the value signings we HAVE made correctly. If I'm actually going to nitpick anything, its moving Shark for less than a premium, singular minor league piece coming back. I just feel he's got more value than was shown in this trade. Definite contender though, assuming Hamilton stays clean.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by davell View Post
    I like the mock honestly. That said, I didn't think getting the two top FA available was very realistic. It was more than made up for with calling the value signings we HAVE made correctly. If I'm actually going to nitpick anything, its moving Shark for less than a premium, singular minor league piece coming back. I just feel he's got more value than was shown in this trade. Definite contender though, assuming Hamilton stays clean.
    Im pretty sure he didnt call the "value signings"; he resubmitted an updated mock after moves were made.

Overall i wouldnt say im against this scenario if it were to happen. Signing the top 2 FAs and 3 9-10 player deals is just not very realistic.
    Last edited by CubRhetoric; 12-11-2012 at 04:01 PM.

vCash
    If the Indians would do that deal it'd probably already be done

vCash
    It's just way too much stuff. It'd require, like , the most active offseason in history.

And then. He made them pancakes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast