Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 77
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    15,502
    vCash
    1500
    Beltran, Reyes, K Rod, Castillo, etc. have all been taken off the books.

    Bay has had money deferred, as has Wright for his contract.

    Yet you can't sign a Nick Swisher or a Ryan Ludwick or whatever with that cash? Come on, son.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Alderson
    "Again, it's hard for me to predict what exactly will happen," Alderson said. "But we're not going to spend the money in mid-December just because we have it. We may spend it in January. We may spend it at some other time. We may not spend it. But the important thing is we have the flexibility to make a baseball decision about that rather than be constrained by sort of an artificial financial limitation."
    Hard to predict? I'll bet my savings on the "we may not spend it" option.
    Last edited by StoicSentry; 12-12-2012 at 12:17 AM.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,139
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Reds just got Choo and did not give up much.
    Imagine that, it is possible to acquire a major league outfielder. Sandy, are you taking notes?

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,139
    vCash
    1500
    The Mets can't even get any decent offer for a Cy Young Award winner. Teams either have it in for us or management is just blowing this opportunity big time.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,139
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Mets View Post
    Like I've been saying and most on the forum would agree with me. 4th place here we come. No playoffs again and no meaningful games playes this summer. Guess as us mets fans we will have see see waht 2014 brings us.
    The only way we finish higher than fourth is unless either Philly, Washington or Atlanta's players all break their lower limbs and even then they'd probably finish ahead of us if they were in walkers or wheelchairs.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,139
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post
    I think it's either that A) their plan changes every other week or B) the plan was just to lie through your teeth all off-season.
    I go with B). They must be giving David something fierce under the table to help spread the BS further. There is nothing Jeff or Sandy could've possibly said that would make David think that the Mets will be serious contenders in his lifetime. It had to be that in 2014 more money would be freed up and they will stock the team with free agents surrounding him, Ike, Niese, Harvey and Wheeler. Who are some of the possible top free agents next winter, anyone know?

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,870
    vCash
    1500

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,139
    vCash
    1500
    Granderson and Ellsbury are the only ones that really get my attention, everybody else is either creeping up on 40 or is already there.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,870
    vCash
    1500
    Carlos Gomez can help too if he replicates his 2012 season and Corey Hart is the guy the Mets should make their main target.

    I like Prado too.

    Even Morse can be of help if he hits like he did in 2011. He's not the best LF by any means but he is what Duda is supposed to be offensively.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    18,139
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    Carlos Gomez can help too if he replicates his 2012 season and Corey Hart is the guy the Mets should make their main target.

    I like Prado too.

    Even Morse can be of help if he hits like he did in 2011. He's not the best LF by any means but he is what Duda is supposed to be offensively.
    Gomez has an atrocious OBP but considering the garbage we have in the outfield he'd be welcomed back with open arms.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,870
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by SILVER SEAVER View Post
    Gomez has an atrocious OBP but considering the garbage we have in the outfield he'd be welcomed back with open arms.
    If he can repeat the 20 home run power with close to 40 steals, he could be like our version of BJ Upton to a lesser extent.

    It could be a very good re-acquisition because he can certainly play CF and he will only be 28 years old.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    559
    vCash
    1500
    Ellsbury-Gotta see what he does this year and even then you have to worry about his inabilty to stay healthy

    Granderson-No idea. He's become a K king and is more of a LF now, also his HR #'s may be Yankee stadium driven. For the right price/years, yeah I'd consider him though

    Gomez- Agent is Scott Boras so you know the book is coming comparing him to a young Willie Mays.

    Pence-It's crazy how now I actually feel he's underrated (after thinking he was grossly OVERRATED for years). He's not a great bat, but he's decent, I worry some about his defense but I may be able to live with it. Like with Granderson, for the right price/years

    Murphy-Late bloomer, like really, he's actually surprisingly old. Love his offensive game as a high OBP doubles hitter with some HR power. Curious to see what kind of year he has in '13

    Anyone else in the 32 and up age group I'd shy away from. This is a new age now without (as many) PED's and we should expect player declines at around that age (like we used to pre-mid '90's), so anyone 33 asking for a 5 yr deal is not to be touched.
    Last edited by Daaaarryyl; 12-12-2012 at 02:54 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoMeFavors View Post
    Bulls wont make the playoffs you can write it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoMeFavors View Post
    I've talked to some Nets and they told me they are saving their energy for the playoffs and people talking down on them are going to be suprised. One player told me "this was our plan all along"
    DMF on May 4th 2013:

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,870
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post
    Ellsbury-Gotta see what he does this year and even then you have to worry about his inabilty to stay healthy

    Granderson-No idea. He's become a K king and is more of a LF now, also his HR #'s may be Yankee stadium driven. For the right price/years, yeah I'd consider him though

    Gomez- Agent is Scott Boras so you know the book is coming comparing him to a young Willie Mays.

    Pence-It's crazy how now I actually feel he's underrated (after thinking he was grossly OVERRATED for years). He's not a great bat, but he's decent, I worry some about his defense but I may be able to live with it. Like with Granderson, for the right price/years

    Murphy-Late bloomer, like really, he's actually surprisingly old. Love his offensive game as a high OBP doubles hitter with some HR power. Curious to see what kind of year he has in '13

    Anyone else in the 32 and up age group I'd shy away from. This is a new age now without (as many) PED's and we should expect player declines at around that age (like we used to pre-mid '90's), so anyone 33 asking for a 5 yr deal is not to be touched.
    Have to make a push for Hart, he has the power we need and he can spell Ike Davis against LHP at 1st base.

    With Gomez, Boras is certainly a bad sign but i don't know if he will get BJ Upton money even if his game is similar.

    Granderson is a tough one because if he has a very good season next year his price skyrockets and although a lot of people think his power is purely because of Yankee stadium, his splits on the road aren't terrible home run wise.

    http://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits....OF&season=2012

    http://www.fangraphs.com/statsplits....OF&season=2011

    He should still be good for 30 homers but his defensive numbers (-10 DRS) weren't very good last year and offensively he doesn't do much more than hit home runs. He also strikeouts a ton..

    Ellsbury is an injury concern no doubt and the odds are that the home run power he exerted in 2011 was an aberration. His ISO being .230 in 2011 while his career ISO is .145. He is also another Scott Boras client.

    Pence is not a great OF and i am not bowled over by him offensively. The Mets need a power bat and he's only had 14 home runs at home in the last 2 seasons. I can't see him hitting well in Citi Field much like he didn't hit well in AT&T park. (although Citi Field not as much of a pitcher's park he didn't hit in Citizen's bank either)

    David Murphy is another guy who needs to put together another season like he did last year before i would think the Mets could be interested. He did hit well on the road last year (.347 wOBA) but he's another guy that i am not hugely interested in unless a peripheral piece.

    The Mets desperately need a power bat like Hart or Morse (even if Morse is a bad LF, at least he can hit unlike Duda).

    They really need an anchor bat between David and Ike. I guess Granderson, Morse, and specifically Hart can fit that bill but preferably Hart before the other two.
    Last edited by metswon69; 12-12-2012 at 04:32 AM.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,754
    vCash
    1500
    Gomez is a better version of BJ Upton if he replicates his 2012 season. He actually gives it his all out there, on the bases and on defense and takes no plays off.

    He's definitely one of he best FA options given that he is only turning 27 this month, so giving him 5 years or so would be a less frightening agreement compared to some others.

    I'd love to bring in Prado or Hill to play 2B, with Gomez and Hart in the OF.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    21,870
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungStuna28 View Post
    Gomez is a better version of BJ Upton if he replicates his 2012 season. He actually gives it his all out there, on the bases and on defense and takes no plays off.

    He's definitely one of he best FA options given that he is only turning 27 this month, so giving him 5 years or so would be a less frightening agreement compared to some others.

    I'd love to bring in Prado or Hill to play 2B, with Hart in the OF.
    Well Upton does have more power to this point and although Upton's OBP was .298 last year his career average is .336.

    Gomez's career OBP is .294 but he does play a better defense than Upton.

    Honestly i would call it a wash if Gomez has another similar season.

    At least over the last 2-3 years they would be.

    I would love Aaron Hill to play second (.355 wOBA on the road last year), his bat is legit.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    52,754
    vCash
    1500
    Aaron Hill is also a good defender at 2B. He's a great fit for us. I love Prado's versatilty and defense, he can play 2B or LF very well and his bat is solid.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •