Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Alderson: 2013 should look like end of '12

With so little turnover thus far on their roster, it's beginning to look as if the 2013 Opening Day roster will closely resemble 2012 -- albeit minus Tim Byrdak (recoverying from shoulder surgery) as well as free agents Jon Rauch, Ramon Ramirez, Kelly Shoppach and possibly Scott Hairston and non-tenders Mike Pelfrey, Andres Torres and Manny Acosta.

Even GM Sandy Alderson acknowledges the rosters very well will be similar.

"I would expect the roster will look similar to the way it did at the end of last year -- with some exceptions," Alderson said Tuesday. "It's hard to speculate. When you think about it, the trade market, signing free agents and so forth, it's relatively young in the season. It's hard, really, to accurately predict where things will end up."

David Wright reduced the amount he was owed in 2013 as part of his new deal, Jason Bay deferred money as part of his buyout and Mets officials swear the payroll can inch slightly higher in 2013. Still, Alderson acknowledged, the Mets may not use the available capital -- in part because the prices on the market may not be worth it.

"Again, it's hard for me to predict what exactly will happen," Alderson said. "But we're not going to spend the money in mid-December just because we have it. We may spend it in January. We may spend it at some other time. We may not spend it. But the important thing is we have the flexibility to make a baseball decision about that rather than be constrained by sort of an artificial financial limitation."

The bullpen is one area in need of reinforcements. Currently, Bobby Parnell is the lone established and credible setup man for closer Frank Francisco.

"We'd like to have a little more veteran presence there, but we're excited about some of the young relievers that we have -- some of those that arrived late last season," Alderson said. "So we think that's going to be a plus."
    http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/met...medium=twitter
    This will end well.

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

vCash
    This is a ****ing joke right? Like I've been patient saying wait, things will get done, he will fix the OF and tweak things. I'm ****ing done with this team. We have ZERO major league OFer's, and you are telling me that I shouldn't expect that to change? The fact that we have no closer and a terrible BP? That's not going to change? The fact that we have a AAAA catcher starting, that's not gonna change either? **** this team. What was the point of getting rid of Bay's contract and reducing Wright's payroll number if you weren't gonna take the money and reinvest it into the team? **** the Wilpons, **** Alderson, and **** the Mets
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

vCash
    If they don't think a Cy Young award winner is worth $30 million over 3 years, then who are they going to think is worth signing to a contract?

I'm sure Wright, after agreeing to cut his 2013 salary by $8 million, is okay with the option of not spending it on improving the team in 2013.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Metsfan1963 View Post
    If they don't think a Cy Young award winner is worth $30 million over 3 years, then who are they going to think is worth signing to a contract?

I'm sure Wright, after agreeing to cut his 2013 salary by $8 million, is okay with the option of not spending it on improving the team in 2013.
    Sarcasm?

Quote Originally Posted by clayamtion View Post
    This will end well.
    Quote Originally Posted by lvlheaded View Post
    This is a ****ing joke right? Like I've been patient saying wait, things will get done, he will fix the OF and tweak things. I'm ****ing done with this team. We have ZERO major league OFer's, and you are telling me that I shouldn't expect that to change? The fact that we have no closer and a terrible BP? That's not going to change? The fact that we have a AAAA catcher starting, that's not gonna change either? **** this team. What was the point of getting rid of Bay's contract and reducing Wright's payroll number if you weren't gonna take the money and reinvest it into the team? **** the Wilpons, **** Alderson, and **** the Mets
    hahahaha I'm sorry but this made me LOL IRL

Had to be done! Go T-Rex

vCash
    Well atleast they resigned wright, finishing in 4th place wouldnt feel the same without him

vCash
    I'd said somewhere the Wilpons were shooting for a $70 million payroll this upcoming season. I don't think anyone believed me. Looks like it'll probably be close to that.

The Mets and SNY have enormous revenue. That scum just sticks it in their pockets. Would some of their defenders (you know who you are) please poke their heads in this thread and explain why the Wilpons sucking all the money out of the team is a good thing?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    I'd said somewhere the Wilpons were shooting for a $70 million payroll this upcoming season. I don't think anyone believed me. Looks like it'll probably be close to that.

The Mets and SNY have enormous revenue. That scum just sticks it in their pockets. Would some of their defenders (you know who you are) please poke their heads in this thread and explain why the Wilpons sucking all the money out of the team is a good thing?
    You have not established the Wilpons ARE sucking money out of the team.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lvlheaded View Post
    Sounds like you just jumped on the Yankee bus. Anyway, if the right opportunity to spend the money doesn't present itself, Alderson's perspective appears to be to wait until it does. Spending money for the sake of spending it now doesn't appeal to him.
    Last edited by Dugmet; 12-11-2012 at 02:46 PM.
    "The 90 wins is about challenge. It's about changing the conversation. It's about framing questions for ourselves as to how we get there. So I stand by the notion that we need to get better, and in doing so we need to set concrete goals for ourselves so that we have sort of specific conversations among ourselves about how we're going to get there." -- Mr. Alderson

vCash
    Did this really surprise anyone?

Presenting the 2013 New York Mets Outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dugmet View Post
    Sounds like you just jumped on the Yankee bus. Anyway, if the right opportunity to spend the money doesn't present itself, Alderson's perspective appears to be to wait until it does. Spending money for the sake of spending it now doesn't appeal to him.
    Not my style. It's Mets or nothing for me. I'm not asking for them to be the Dodgers. But how can SA honestly say there is no one on the trade or FA market that can help this team. We have NO OUTFIELD! I can be okay with not wanting to over spend, that's fine. But I can't be okay with the idea that the team just refuses to spend ANY money. If the market dictates that you have to overspend a little, then you have to overspend a little. I refuse to watch this team be content with finishing in fourth year in and year out. How am I supposed to understand that our FO believes Mike Baxter is an acceptable starting OFer?

I've been patient with this team. I've been happy with the fact that we want to build via the farm. I'm okay that we wanted to cut unnecessary payroll. But I'm not okay with not reinvesting in the team, especially when we have gaping holes to fill. If you wanna say the FA's available aren't worth it, fine, do it via trade. But don't tell me you are gonna sit on your hands and accept 4th place, because I'm NOT okay with that
    “It's still a game and you'd rather win it than lose it.”

There is An Angel in CitiField- LETS GO METS!

Proud to be PSD's "The Kid"

New York Giants-2012 World Champions

SuperMann #10, Superman wears Eli Pajamas

vCash

Lolmets

vCash
    EL OH EL. Remember how he said changes were going to be made? So much for that. Maybe by "changes are going to be made" he meant that he expected to trade David Wright for a bag of balls to free up payroll.

vCash
    This immediately came to mind:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKgPY1adc0A

We'll Leave a Light On For You

Believers: mets77, JoeGamer81, Harry777, YoungStuna, Sandman, METMANYAK, FoC, Gotta, WrigheyesMVP, Mr. Koobs

vCash
    We have to hope that Alderson has made this statement to either sign free agents at a lower price, or get teams to make their best offers in trades.

Because he can't believe that people will come out to see the same team (maybe minus Hairston) that went 30-51 the last 3 months of the 2012 season.

vCash
    This team needs a catcher, get one because I can't take another year of Thole.
    It doesn't have to be a long term solution but putting Thole out there is just wrong.
    And no I don't want to trade Dickey for one.

Where the "F" is all the money they have saved?

“Ninety percent I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish whiskey. The other ten percent I’ll probably waste.”
    - Tug McGraw, on his plans for his $75,000 salary

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast