Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Hybrid View

vCash

The odd thing to me

The way I see it as I have followed this season, there isn't any real glaring deficencies outside of interior O line that can be found on the Titans this season. I may have my Homer glasses on but if you look at this team fromthe point of talent, they should be better.

In years past, I have been able to look at the team and say "If we draft a ________ in this years draft or pick up a free agent at ________, we will be better next year. You can't really do that outside of the interior O line due to both youth and talent. I doo think that we can add a great deal of depth witha good draft but for this team to play the way they have this year is more of a sign of coaching than player ability. Just some thoughts I wanted to share.

vCash
    We definitely need help at LB & SS...the offense has the pieces but the Defense is def lacking...upgrade at DT would be nice also...Manti te'o would be great for us at LB for the next ten years...as far as coaching, I always knew munchak wasn't ready. Looking forward to Gruden, Billick or Cowher...if we hire from within again then its gonna be another 2-3 year waste with this talented offensive roster...
    "Teamwork makes the Dream work"

vCash
    I'd both agree and disagree to a certain extent. Offensively, I think the only glaring weakness (as you mentioned) is at the interior offensive line. They clearly have good bookend tackles, a talented running back and weapons in the passing game. Locker clearly needs to play better, but that's got to come over time. The coaching staff also has to do a better job of working around his strengths. They did that well in the first half on Sunday.

But defensively, I think there are a number of problems. For one, they don't get nearly a consistent enough pass rush. Morgan and Wimbley would be okay starting at DE if they had an elite guy on the other side. And a lot of their sacks have come from blitzing linebackers like Ayers and Brown. They need an impact DE who requires double teams to apply a decent pass rush with only the front four.

They also have had problems stuffing the run. Part of that, you could argue, is because they lack a great run stuffing DT. And part of that comes from the linebacking corps being banged up and being extremely young. But whatever the reason, they're getting gashed on the ground.

And in the secondary, the safeties are just awful. I don't have a problem with McCourtry or Verner so much on the outside, but Griffin, Babieneaux and co. seem to get beat SO OFTEN over the top. They can't cover tight ends, they get beat when they're in man and they can't seem to handle a zone or play deep on big passing plays. There are far too many big plays over the top and over the middle and I put like 90% of the blame on the safeties.

But above all else, I just feel like this team makes too many damn mistakes. The Titans are 10th in the AFC in turnover differential, Locker has thrown nine picks in only seven starts and CJ is among the leaders in fumbles. They also just have way too many drives stall. And defensively, they just give up too many big plays and two many third down conversions. Are these mistakes personnel problems or coaching problems? I dunno, but I think it's a little bit of both.

vCash
    Locker - young qb, needs to cut down on turnovers and improve completion percentage

CJ - needs more touches, amount of fumbles this year probably just a fluke

Britt - had a rough start, looks like he's rounding into form, should be fine by next season, needs to improve blocking

Wright - leads league in catches for rookie WR's, needs to improve his catching, also his reading of blocks after catching screen passes

Washington - no complaints

Cook - huge let down this year, has the potential to be a top 10 TE, needs to improve blocking

OL - needs to stay consistent, need an upgrade at center

Wimbley - solid season, will improve next year in 2nd year, solid starter

Morgan - has looked better each week and showed his potential last week vs Colts as he was almost unblockable, solid starter

Casey - solid player but expendable if we can get a true run stuffing DT

Martin - love the intensity and progress he's shown as a rookie

Brown/McCarthy/Ayers - young linebacker group that will be great next season when healthy, extremely fast

Verner - solid #2 CB, no complaints

McCourty - not a #1 CB, can't cover top WR's, should move to safety and sign a lockdown CB

Griffin - pure garbage, needs to be cut or traded, replace him with McCourty

Babineaux - shows flashes of being a solid player but too inconsistent, need to sign a safety and return Babs to back up role

Bironas - rough year by his standards, been dealing with leg problem, will be fine next season

Munchak - fire this statue IF and ONLY IF we can sign someone like Gruden, which probably won't happen

Gray - I honestly don't mind him, it's tough without your starting middle linebacker and safeties like Griffin and Babs, I would give him another shot

vCash
    The point I am trying to make is that we have only a few NEED positions. All of us have the players that we want but there aren't to many teams with MVP candidates at every position. We have, for all intents and purposes a strong roster. Guard, safety and DT are places you could argue we have a need... elsewhere we need primarily depth.

I honestly feel that a change needs to be made in the staff. It has been pointed out in several threads how miserable the oaching staff has performed this year so I won't get into all of that but I just feel that this team is far better than what they have performed this year and most of the players have phoned in the rest of the season.

vCash
    I agree. This season falls on the shoulders of the coaching staff. Our roster is actually pretty good. Some minor tweaks in free agency and a solid draft and we should be set.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rpgmaster86 View Post
    We definitely need help at LB & SS...the offense has the pieces but the Defense is def lacking...upgrade at DT would be nice also...Manti te'o would be great for us at LB for the next ten years...as far as coaching, I always knew munchak wasn't ready. Looking forward to Gruden, Billick or Cowher...if we hire from within again then its gonna be another 2-3 year waste with this talented offensive roster...
    Don't count on them upgrading at defensive tackle. Mike Munchak said today on the radio that they feel like that is the strength of their defense.

I think that Manti Te'o or Jarvis Jones would be amazing for this defense but both will be gone by our selection.

Also don't think that Munchak is the coach that is ever gonna do anything with this team. I just wonder how long its gonna take for somebody with some pull to realize that as well. He does the local radio show and some of the things he says on there really makes me scratch my head.... Just some examples from today

- Today he was talking about tight end Brandon Barden who is on the practice squad and said that they seriously considered having him make the opening roster. So..... Were they gonna go with 4 tight ends? Or was he almost gonna get that spot that went to Taylor Thompson?

- He said that the Jared Cook injury is a downer but that now they get Taylor Thompson more reps for next season as they want him to play more downs next year. So.... Unless they plan on letting Jared Cook leave (which I think they might) I'm guessing they are gonna go 2-tight ends on every play.

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I'd both agree and disagree to a certain extent. Offensively, I think the only glaring weakness (as you mentioned) is at the interior offensive line. They clearly have good bookend tackles, a talented running back and weapons in the passing game. Locker clearly needs to play better, but that's got to come over time. The coaching staff also has to do a better job of working around his strengths. They did that well in the first half on Sunday.

But defensively, I think there are a number of problems. For one, they don't get nearly a consistent enough pass rush. Morgan and Wimbley would be okay starting at DE if they had an elite guy on the other side. And a lot of their sacks have come from blitzing linebackers like Ayers and Brown. They need an impact DE who requires double teams to apply a decent pass rush with only the front four.

They also have had problems stuffing the run. Part of that, you could argue, is because they lack a great run stuffing DT. And part of that comes from the linebacking corps being banged up and being extremely young. But whatever the reason, they're getting gashed on the ground.

And in the secondary, the safeties are just awful. I don't have a problem with McCourtry or Verner so much on the outside, but Griffin, Babieneaux and co. seem to get beat SO OFTEN over the top. They can't cover tight ends, they get beat when they're in man and they can't seem to handle a zone or play deep on big passing plays. There are far too many big plays over the top and over the middle and I put like 90% of the blame on the safeties.

But above all else, I just feel like this team makes too many damn mistakes. The Titans are 10th in the AFC in turnover differential, Locker has thrown nine picks in only seven starts and CJ is among the leaders in fumbles. They also just have way too many drives stall. And defensively, they just give up too many big plays and two many third down conversions. Are these mistakes personnel problems or coaching problems? I dunno, but I think it's a little bit of both.
    I agree.

We need at least one big addition to the interior offensive line and hopefully 2 additions. I think that Velasco might be the guy at Center.

We do need a playmaker on defense that offense have to account for and this defense is real plain in comparison to other defenses around the league. As mentioned a big time defensive end or standout linebacker would really improve this defense. Hopefully that gets addressed in the draft.

Both the safety positions need to be addressed.

Quote Originally Posted by jchase3 View Post
    Locker - young qb, needs to cut down on turnovers and improve completion percentage

CJ - needs more touches, amount of fumbles this year probably just a fluke

Britt - had a rough start, looks like he's rounding into form, should be fine by next season, needs to improve blocking

Wright - leads league in catches for rookie WR's, needs to improve his catching, also his reading of blocks after catching screen passes

Washington - no complaints

Cook - huge let down this year, has the potential to be a top 10 TE, needs to improve blocking

OL - needs to stay consistent, need an upgrade at center

Wimbley - solid season, will improve next year in 2nd year, solid starter

Morgan - has looked better each week and showed his potential last week vs Colts as he was almost unblockable, solid starter

Casey - solid player but expendable if we can get a true run stuffing DT

Martin - love the intensity and progress he's shown as a rookie

Brown/McCarthy/Ayers - young linebacker group that will be great next season when healthy, extremely fast

Verner - solid #2 CB, no complaints

McCourty - not a #1 CB, can't cover top WR's, should move to safety and sign a lockdown CB

Griffin - pure garbage, needs to be cut or traded, replace him with McCourty

Babineaux - shows flashes of being a solid player but too inconsistent, need to sign a safety and return Babs to back up role

Bironas - rough year by his standards, been dealing with leg problem, will be fine next season

Munchak - fire this statue IF and ONLY IF we can sign someone like Gruden, which probably won't happen

Gray - I honestly don't mind him, it's tough without your starting middle linebacker and safeties like Griffin and Babs, I would give him another shot
    Mike Munchak said half the run problems this year have been the offensive line and the other half have been on Chris Johnson either not making decisions fast enough or going away from his blocking.

From the way they talk I wouldn't count too much on Jared Cook being back or getting more playing time/reps next season.

Fernando Velasco actually was putting up top 10 numbers for the position before all the injuries decimated the line. The horrible production has been from the guard positions.

Mike Munchak said today that they like what they have at DT in Marks and Martin being the starters going into next season.

I think the linebackers are still a problem. Ayers is still near the top of the league at the position in terms of missed tackles. I also think that McCarthy would be better off moving to outside linebacker which was his original position. Many people said he was undersized to be playing at middle linebacker and that may have something to do with all the injuries.

For some reason the Titans think that McCourty is their best cornerback and a solid #1 evident today by Munchak saying that they are glad they signed him to an extension because he would have commanded top money in free agency....

They also said that Michael Griffin got off to a bad start because of the all the position changes so they likely will stick with him as well. The position changes have nothing to do with him constantly being out of position and missing tackles.

Quote Originally Posted by bullTitan View Post
    The point I am trying to make is that we have only a few NEED positions. All of us have the players that we want but there aren't to many teams with MVP candidates at every position. We have, for all intents and purposes a strong roster. Guard, safety and DT are places you could argue we have a need... elsewhere we need primarily depth.

I honestly feel that a change needs to be made in the staff. It has been pointed out in several threads how miserable the oaching staff has performed this year so I won't get into all of that but I just feel that this team is far better than what they have performed this year and most of the players have phoned in the rest of the season.
    I agree especially when you look at this team and you see

- dumb penalties
    - horrible tackling
    - dropped passes
    - players out of position
    - losing games in the 2nd half

I also don't like the fact that it took nearly 10-12 games and Bud Adams having to threaten them in the media for many of the changes to be made on issues that were wrong with the team. The defense is playing much better and that is good but it shouldn't have taken 12 games to figure out what nearly everybody online could see was wrong with the defense.

Quote Originally Posted by jchase3 View Post
    I agree. This season falls on the shoulders of the coaching staff. Our roster is actually pretty good. Some minor tweaks in free agency and a solid draft and we should be set.
    My ideal offseason would be

getting better at right guard
    getting better at left guard
    getting better at defensive end
    getting better at middle linebacker (moving McCarthy to the outside)
    getting better at both safety positions

vCash
    [QUOTE=steelcityroller;24695930]Don't count on them upgrading at defensive tackle. Mike Munchak said today on the radio that they feel like that is the strength of their defense. I think that Manti Te'o or Jarvis Jones would be amazing for this defense but both will be gone by our selection.

Also don't think that Munchak is the coach that is ever gonna do anything with this team. I just wonder how long its gonna take for somebody with some pull to realize that as well. He does the local radio show and some of the things he says on there really makes me scratch my head.... Just some examples from today - Today he was talking about tight end Brandon Barden who is on the practice squad and said that they seriously considered having him make the opening roster. So..... Were they gonna go with 4 tight ends? Or was he almost gonna get that spot that went to Taylor Thompson?

He doesn't have a clue on Defense...our DT can't stop the run and he feels that's the strength of our D?? If we lose 2 of the next 3, which is entirely possible (I actually feel we lose to jets and green bay) then I say its time for a new coaching regime.. Bud adams needs to stop being cheap but thats not gonna happen, but he should get smart and get a billick, cowher, gruden no nonsense type of coach...palmer was a stupid hiring and munchak, as nice as he is, isn't gonna draw any free agents to tennessee and his play calling is one of the worst in the league...I'm really curious to see how he runs his practices
    "Teamwork makes the Dream work"

vCash
    I bet they give them all one more season. Here is what they probably will do.... They will Munchak an extension to try and make it look attractive to free agents that he will be around with the team. When in reality they can fire him at anytime as coaches contracts in the NFL are pretty much meaningless.