Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 61 to 71 of 71
  1. #61
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,546
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    I wouldn't and the scouting stats (i.e. PFF) agrees with me.

    I watch Pats games as I watch Niners games given that I make it a prerogative to know elite teams as well as I can. Wilfork is a fantastic player, but Smith is currently one of the top D lineman in the NFL and is one of the key reasons for Niner's D ridiculous dominance.



    They both play DL; they aren't as different players as you try to paint.

    And no, there are many other positions on defense than can hold as much value to NT if not likely more, especially in today's game. Pass rushers undoubtedly hold more value than a NT. As do elite playmakers like Revis, Reed, Washington, Polamalu, Earl Thomas, Sherman, Willis, Bowman, etc.

    Wilfork's value is second to none on a very average defense. As an overall defensive player, his value wouldn't cut the top 10 in the NFL and his position is in no way the most valuable. He is what he is, a a very good player, but trying to convince that a traditional NT in today's NFL still holds the most valuable is a flat out lie. That title goes to pass rushers and then probably elite playmakers. NTs generally hold great value against the run which is what Wilfork obviously excels in. HOWEVER, as already mentioned, given the love for passing these days, NT does not hold near the value it once did.
    What? A 4-3 DE and a 3-4 NT are both defensive lineman but aren't even comparable

  2. #62
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    In the depths of the Dunabi Jungle
    Posts
    11,216
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nasthemasta View Post
    What? A 4-3 DE and a 3-4 NT are both defensive lineman but aren't even comparable
    but a 3-4 DE and a 4-3 DT aren't THAT different. smith isnt a 4-3 end
    The Most Epic Thread EVER
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Yea what is he thinking not wanting to drive next to or near drunk people. I have never met a more sheltered scaredy cat. As a hobby i find 10-15 homeless guys and give them lots of alcohol and play bumper cars all day but im normal.

  3. #63
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    34,838
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nasthemasta View Post
    What? A 4-3 DE and a 3-4 NT are both defensive lineman but aren't even comparable
    Smith is a 3-4 DE... You know, the kind of player who probably plays DT in a 4-3 scheme, just like Wilfork would.

  4. #64
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    22,168
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    Smith is a 3-4 DE... You know, the kind of player who probably plays DT in a 4-3 scheme, just like Wilfork would.
    Smith started his career as a 4-3 DE, just so you know.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

    Trill Team

  5. #65
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    34,838
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Smith started his career as a 4-3 DE, just so you know.
    And?

    Idonije has switched between DE and DT for the Bears plenty of times. What's your point?

    As of now, being 285 lbs, he certainly has much more of the body for a 4-3 DT than 4-3 DE.

  6. #66
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    8,238
    vCash
    500
    Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    And?

    Idonije has switched between DE and DT for the Bears plenty of times. What's your point?

    As of now, being 285 lbs, he certainly has much more of the body for a 4-3 DT than 4-3 DE.
    Also, Smith plays inside on 3rd downs. Same front 7, but we take out our NT and move Smith and McDonald to the inside with Aldon and Brooks as the Ends.

  7. #67
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    22,168
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by kozelkid View Post
    And?

    Idonije has switched between DE and DT for the Bears plenty of times. What's your point?

    As of now, being 285 lbs, he certainly has much more of the body for a 4-3 DT than 4-3 DE.
    My point is that they aren't similar players. Very different playing styles. Wilfork is a clogger inside (although NE has used him a lot at DE in recent years for their 3-4 looks). Smith is much more of penetrator, regardless of where he's lining up. I think Smith is quite easily the better player as much as I love Vince, but they don't really do similar things, even if their positions are similar.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Haha View Post
    What I feel right now is like the satisfaction you feel when a highly judgmental, moralistic televangelist gets caught screwing a male hooker.
    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

    Trill Team

  8. #68
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    3,546
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by astrosmaniac View Post
    but a 3-4 DE and a 4-3 DT aren't THAT different. smith isnt a 4-3 end
    I'm not talking about Smith and Wilfork...You said that they both play on the DL, so that made them not a different as we should think...Which is not an accurate statement

  9. #69
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    34,838
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by nasthemasta View Post
    I'm not talking about Smith and Wilfork...You said that they both play on the DL, so that made them not a different as we should think...Which is not an accurate statement
    Fine, I was referring to specifically NT, 4-3 DT, and 3-4 DE.

    I'm well aware that a NT and a 4-3 end are vastly different, hence a 4-3 end that has to play in a 3-4 system usually plays OLB...

  10. #70
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    34,838
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    My point is that they aren't similar players. Very different playing styles. Wilfork is a clogger inside (although NE has used him a lot at DE in recent years for their 3-4 looks). Smith is much more of penetrator, regardless of where he's lining up. I think Smith is quite easily the better player as much as I love Vince, but they don't really do similar things, even if their positions are similar.
    Obviously, but given that they play similar positions, there's no reason that there isn't an obvious measurable and comparable impact between the two. Just like you can compare a slot receiver to a flanker or a zone corner to a man to man one, even if their roles are different. And as you correctly pointed out, Smith is probably the more impactful player of the two (takes nothing away from Wilfork is VERY good in his own right).

  11. #71
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Denver
    Posts
    5,567
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Austeezy View Post
    No, Von Miller should win it. I remember him kicking so much *** last year against us. Dan Connolly couldn't take his amazingness and was somehow knocked over after Brady kicked that punt. Nothing can touch Von. He is simply perfection, simply the best there is and has ever been.
    ^ this

    sig made by DB
    "I think that's why I came out numerous times and said I want to win," Tulowitzki said. "It doesn't mean I want out of here. It means I'm sick and tired of losing."
    GET A ACE PITCHER ROCKIES

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •