Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Reasons to Be Excited Heading into Next Year Despite Whatever Happens From Here

It's obvious with the arrival of the RG3 that there's LOTS to be excited about for Redskins fans for the future, but I just wanted to highlight the fact that there's more to feel good about than just RG3.

We have the remaining cap penalty and loss of our 2 first round picks constraining us next season, but there's are many reasons to believe we can still get better even without bringing in more players.

Offense:

- We're 7-1 with Garcon in the line-up.
    - We'll have Fred Davis back (I'm sure we'll be able to resign him) to add to our already explosive offense, and Roy Helu to give us great depth and another option for a change of pace back. In the meantime, Logan Paulsen has shown he can be a weapon in the passing game and isn't just a blocking TE. With Niles Paul, we'll be deep at TE (who would've thought Paulsen would be a bigger asset in the passing game than former WR Paul?)
    - Our O-line, which has managed to gel by having all 5 starters start every game so far, has proven to be more solid than we thought it would be. Depth is still a question, but it's a lot easier to fill that out in the draft vs finding starters.
    - Hankerson is starting to come on strong. He's been an asset in the blocking game, and now he's showing value in the passing game. I think he's on target to have a break-out season next year, and the 3rd year is when many WRs really start to shine.
    - We now have 3 WRs in Hankerson, Garcon and Morgan that like to block and excel at it. When you throw in Moss and Robinson, we look to be very deep at WR.
    - Morris, despite his hard running style and having a high number of carries, has proven to be durable (knock on wood).
    - Kirk Cousins' start against the Browns proves 2 things: (1) We won't be toast if RG3 ever misses significant time (again, knock on wood) (2) Our offense doesn't need to rely on the pistol formation or read option stuff to be explosive. We have enough talent on offense to be successful in more traditional pro-style schemes.

Defense:

- We'll have Orakpo back and we know that more consistent pressure will help out our secondary, and more sacks is always a great thing.
    - Rob Jackson is starting to show that our depth at OLB will be solid and that he can be a force when he comes in on 3rd down situations even when not starting.
    - We'll get back Adam Carriker and Merriweather (hopefully), who we know are difference-makers on our D.
    - Crawford could prove to be a more consistent PR than Banks, and might be able to help out in the secondary if he keeps getting better.
    - I'm assuming we'll bring Tanard Jackson back when we're able to, and he'll be a big upgrade at safety
    - We'll have Minnifield and Bernstine back from injury, both of whom were showing some very good things before they went out. It might be wishful thinking, but maybe they'll be able to help out our secondary next year.

Overall, I think we're solid enough and set on offense for a few years that we can concentrate on upgrading the D with our higher picks while using the others for depth on both offense and defense. And while it might look like we have a lot of needs on D, we could get lucky and fill some of them with the guys we'll get back next year.
    Last edited by SkinsFan4Life71; 12-18-2012 at 12:00 PM.

vCash
    I'll wait and see. 2005 looked promising, we saw how 2006 ended. Granted the 2005 team wasn't built, just had a bunch of pieces plugged in. I'm always skeptical with the Redskins till consistency happens.

Redskins | Nationals | Capitals | Wizards| D.C United

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by InsaneBoost View Post
    I'll wait and see. 2005 looked promising, we saw how 2006 ended. Granted the 2005 team wasn't built, just had a bunch of pieces plugged in. I'm always skeptical with the Redskins till consistency happens.
    No surprise there.

What you pointed out - and what I should've included in my OP - is a huge difference from 2005 and one of the best reasons to feel excited about our team's future: it's young. We don't have an older team with a few young pieces mixed in that won't be able to benefit from continuity. The team we have now has room to keep growing together, and continuity breeds success. The best teams in the NFL have it. They keep their coaching and core players in tact, and we're in a great position to do just that. I don't think we're in danger of losing either coordinator to a head coaching job for a while, and if Kyle stays on a roll, his first head coaching job could be with the Redskins, and with his age, we'd be poised for more continuity for years to come if he were to succeed in that role. All of our core players are young and we've got a nice window to keep them together so they can keep gelling and growing together.

vCash
    shocker reply.....troll.

vCash
    Lol don't compare this team to the **** of 05

vCash
    insane...i think its time you started changing your mentality. I was skeptical myself, but this team is just winning me over. We are putting up 30 ppg while missing davis, helu, and our RT. defense is missing 4 starters, and is playing well despite the lack of solid players. even if we dont make the playoffs...we have a great foundation.

QB
    Run Game
    decent Oline
    Good WRs
    a few solid pieces on defense (will just get better with draft and FA)
    We finally got a FG kicker
    S/T is solid

and not to mention the shanahans are calling some damn good offense right now.

I feel confident more than ever that we are headed in the right direction. I just wish more of the redskins fans would take notice. Although i cant get upset, because i know what the past 20 years have been like, but since when did we have such a great foundation. Lets not forget who was making decisions back then, vs now.

HTTR!!!! I love my squad!

vCash
    I've definitely been impressed, my point is, I've seen the one and done seasons before. I'm definitely happy with the way this team is going, playoffs or not, but I just want to see it continue, not take a complete 180 next year.

Redskins | Nationals | Capitals | Wizards| D.C United

vCash
    i think the future is bright my friend. We are only going to get better. Seems like this team is developing a bond unlike ive seen recently. we dont have just a few good players like portis/rogers/landry/fletcher....we have solid players all around, and we are building some depth. One example is Rob Jackson. Dude is playing better than i ever thought. Its nice knowing that is rak or kerrigan need to miss a game, we have him to fill in.

vCash
    Knowing that we can win a game without the gimmick crap, now I REALLY hope we move to a conventional offense next year.

vCash
    I am really stoked to get Minnifield back next year... I think he will be an upgrade to our secondary?

Don't Be A Lemon, Be A Rosebud!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IHateTheSkins View Post
    Knowing that we can win a game without the gimmick crap, now I REALLY hope we move to a conventional offense next year.
    It's only a gimmick when it catches a team unsuspecting and off guard. By nature, that's what makes gimmicks successful. When a team has seen you do the same stuff over and over, expects you to do it and game plans against it but still can't stop it, that's not a gimmick. It's just unconventional. We're going to keep doing whatever gives us the best chance to win.

vCash
    I just wish we would do whatever gives us the best chance to win AND keep our franchise QB.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by IHateTheSkins View Post
    I just wish we would do whatever gives us the best chance to win AND keep our franchise QB.
    A lot of that is on RG3, too. He's gotten better about running out of bounds, but he still needs to learn to be more judicious about when to go down when running between the sidelines. He's a competitor, so his instincts are to fight for every yard, but with more experience he'll learn to forego the extra yard or two and give himself up sooner to avoid contact. When the game is on the line, though, I think he's always going to go for broke. That's just who he is.