Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post
    I guess... I don't know if we realize the depths we've reached here with this club. I'm a fan since '83, have seen the good, bad and ugly but I don't remember them looking at the scrap leftovers to fill out important positions like catcher, left field, center field, right field as well as as many as 5 relief pitchers possibly.

I mean the OF joked about in Met lore of Agbayani, Payton, Bell, Hamilton and Timo would have us all practically salivating right about now.

Sad.
    Joe McIlvaine built the core of those 1998 - 2001 teams up, but Fred replaced him with Steve Phillips before he was done because McIlvaine chafed at Fred's constant interference.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/1997...-joe-mcilvaine

Imagine how good those teams would have been if Fred either butted out or put them over the top by spending for a real outfield?
    Last edited by Coupon; 12-11-2012 at 02:10 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KingsnQueens7 View Post
    Delmon Young
    He would make Lucas Duda look like Roberto Clemente in the OF, plus you would have to insist that he do community service at local Synogoges and do a Sandy Koufax and not play on Yom Kippur to make up for his atrocious behavior last year in NYC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coupon View Post
    Joe McIlvaine built the core of those 1998 - 2001 teams up, but Fred replaced him with Steve Phillips before he was done because McIlvaine chafed at Fred's constant interference.

http://articles.nydailynews.com/1997...-joe-mcilvaine

Imagine how good those teams would have been if Fred either butted out or put them over the top by spending for a real outfield?
    I'm not sure what that has to do with what I wrote but..

Yeah, I've always said Joe Mac got a raw deal and it had more to do with timing of his firing more than anything else (team was actually playing very well and he got the axe).

But you're last sentence there should (if anything) read "Imagine if Nelson Doubleday didn't place a call to the Mets office (Fred/Jeff) demanding to know how it could be possible that they didn't have any interest in the suddenly available Mike Piazza".

No Doubleday=No Piazza
    Quote Originally Posted by DoMeFavors View Post
    Bulls wont make the playoffs you can write it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoMeFavors View Post
    I've talked to some Nets and they told me they are saving their energy for the playoffs and people talking down on them are going to be suprised. One player told me "this was our plan all along"
    DMF on May 4th 2013:

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Daaaarryyl View Post
    I'm not sure what that has to do with what I wrote but..

Yeah, I've always said Joe Mac got a raw deal and it had more to do with timing of his firing more than anything else (team was actually playing very well and he got the axe).

But you're last sentence there should (if anything) read "Imagine if Nelson Doubleday didn't place a call to the Mets office (Fred/Jeff) demanding to know how it could be possible that they didn't have any interest in the suddenly available Mike Piazza".

No Doubleday=No Piazza
    Your listing of the 2000 era outfield reminded me of something I've said over and over... The damned Wilpons - and by then Fred was pulling all the strings - have never spent adequately to the market or gone out of their way to win.

Yes I remember the Piazza situation. It's a tragedy Fred stole the team.

As for the available free agents, I guess anyone would help. This is by far the worst outfield in Mets history. The 1962 outfield was way better. Henderson, Youngblood and Mazzilli would start over anyone from the 2012 squad. We'll see who they sign.

vCash
    At this point, I really don't care who we sign because it won't be making a difference next year anyway, barring a miracle.

vCash

Remaining Free Agents

Bring back Miguel Cairo!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NY Sports Fan View Post
    He would make Lucas Duda look like Roberto Clemente in the OF, plus you would have to insist that he do community service at local Synogoges and do a Sandy Koufax and not play on Yom Kippur to make up for his atrocious behavior last year in NYC.
    With the Fred Wilpon's close friendship with Koufax I doubt they would even entertain a thought of signing him.

vCash
    Wow a lot of older players on that list.. most of which should start getting their AARP cards in the mail soon.
    " You seek Yoda!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by macattack View Post
    What about trading dickey and signing loriano. Team him up with johan might work out.
    I like that option too...that's why I bolded his name. Randy Neimann said a few years ago when I played Fantasy Camp that you need to leave spring training with eight starting pitcher candidates to allow for injuries and slumps. Five start, one becomes a swingman and the other two are either at the end of your bullpen or at AAA ready in case you need them. If Dickey goes Liriano would love to be reunited with Johan and may take a bit less to be with him again. If he excels we got a steal...if he flops he gets cut...but I like the idea of low risk, high reward retreads vs. the McHugh types who are really AAAA pitchers.
    Bob
    Met fan since 1969

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12