Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

vCash

ewing

Quote Originally Posted by {Ron!n} View Post
    I just got back from the theater, and I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Even though its close to 3 hours, it didn't feel long at all. Skyrim felt way longer.

In addition, Jackson is extremely faithful to the source material, you really really feel that you're reading the book. My biggest problem might have been one of their tangents thats not in the book, since it just feels like its filler material, but it still wasn't that bad.

I don't know if the theater I went to had 48FPS or not, but I didn't notice anything so it probably wasn't. All in all, it was a very good movie and really felt like it was just another one in the LOTR series. They did a good job in blending the two together, and while thats expected given the recurring characters, I can definitely see someone watching all 6 in a row without skipping a beat if they continue on this pace.

Thanks. I was looking for a review on here without a spoiler. I honestly care less about the page to minute ratio and couldn't imagine a reason someone would. I did not feel the LOTR movies dragged and if this one was done as well as those it probably doesn't either. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

vCash
    Just saw it, holy **** was that good!

vCash
    I think thats going to be the series downfalling. You can't split the freaking Hobbit into 3 movies. TLOR were so amazing and they were 3 separate books with 3 times the content of The Hobbit

Bad move IMO.
    They were also 3 hours long and cut out huge parts of the books. A lot goes on in the Hobbit, I can see how they would stretch it out over more than one movie.

Dodgers, Lakers, Raiders.
    Fok Jelle Naiers

They`re = contraction of they are
    There = used to describe location
    Their = pronoun used to describe belonging
    Should've = contraction of should have
    Should of = makes no sense at all

vCash
    I am surprised that they went to 3 movies for this short story...with the LOTR, you can obviously see why they went with 3 movies. But I look at it this way, the LOTR was a combined 12+ hours of movie (extended versions)...that was roughly 1,600 pages of written book (~2.2 pages per min)....now we are going to get 9 to 10 hours of movie from a 300 page book (~0.6 pages per min)?

the math doesn't add up to me...(cash cow it is)

that being said, I can't wait to see it (likely later today)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    I am surprised that they went to 3 movies for this short story...with the LOTR, you can obviously see why they went with 3 movies. But I look at it this way, the LOTR was a combined 12+ hours of movie (extended versions)...that was roughly 1,600 pages of written book (~2.2 pages per min)....now we are going to get 9 to 10 hours of movie from a 300 page book (~0.6 pages per min)?

the math doesn't add up to me...(cash cow it is)

that being said, I can't wait to see it (likely later today)
    Don't you know that true fans will watch any amount of garbage time just because!

vCash
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but I imagine the structure is something like this:

Movie 1: Kidnapped by trolls, find weapons, find the ring
    Movie 2: Mirkwood, spiders, captured again
    Movie 3: escape using the ring, hour long build up to fight scene, Kill the dragon

Fok Jelle Naiers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Don't you know that true fans will watch any amount of garbage time just because!
    despite the snarkiness, count me in as a true fan

Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    I haven't seen the movie yet, but I imagine the structure is something like this:

Movie 1: Kidnapped by trolls, find weapons, find the ring
    Movie 2: Mirkwood, spiders, captured again
    Movie 3: escape using the ring, hour long build up to fight scene, Kill the dragon
    sounds about right...movie 1 has to spend a lot of time in the cave where the riddle game resulted in bilbo screwing over gollum...

vCash
    You guys can hate on it all you want, but the movie was very true to the books.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Superdude View Post
    You guys can hate on it all you want, but the movie was very true to the books.
    The hobbit was just one book

If you're talking about LOTR the only major problem I have with the series is that they didn't show anything really that happened on the way to Rivendale and that was a really interesting part of the book. I know it would be stupid to have an entire hour dedicated to them walking through 2 separate forests, but Tom Bombadil was an intriguing character. If they're trying to make a franchise out of Tolkien books they dropped the ball by not introducing him in the first movie. Outside of the Hobbit and the LOTR series the book about Tom has probably the most intriguing story (although it would admittedly make a ridiculous sounding movie title).

Fok Jelle Naiers

vCash
    ^I was looking for some of the Tom Bombadill story, even in the extra scenes...but I loved the movies in general

...I just got back a short while ago from Part I of the Hobbit...very good...there was a portion about an hour in that seemed to drag a little for me, but then the next thing I know, the 3 hour movie was over...very good....left me wanting to see A LOT more of the actual story, but I will have to wait for Part II and Part III...

vCash
    just saw it and I liked it. it doesnt look like ti will need 3 movies though, they could have done it in two. I liked the LOTRs better though.
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    I just got back from the theater, and I've got to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Even though its close to 3 hours, it didn't feel long at all. Skyrim felt way longer.

In addition, Jackson is extremely faithful to the source material, you really really feel that you're reading the book. My biggest problem might have been one of their tangents thats not in the book, since it just feels like its filler material, but it still wasn't that bad.

I don't know if the theater I went to had 48FPS or not, but I didn't notice anything so it probably wasn't. All in all, it was a very good movie and really felt like it was just another one in the LOTR series. They did a good job in blending the two together, and while thats expected given the recurring characters, I can definitely see someone watching all 6 in a row without skipping a beat if they continue on this pace.

for the msot part i agree. the only major difference i noticed was (spoilers)
    radagasts part, which if i remember correctyl, he was only mentioned in the hobbit without ever actually appearing
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Trueblue2 View Post
    The hobbit was just one book

If you're talking about LOTR the only major problem I have with the series is that they didn't show anything really that happened on the way to Rivendale and that was a really interesting part of the book. I know it would be stupid to have an entire hour dedicated to them walking through 2 separate forests, but Tom Bombadil was an intriguing character. If they're trying to make a franchise out of Tolkien books they dropped the ball by not introducing him in the first movie. Outside of the Hobbit and the LOTR series the book about Tom has probably the most intriguing story (although it would admittedly make a ridiculous sounding movie title).
    Bombadil would have made Fellowship like a 4+ hour movie.

I was not a fan of the Bombadil character when I read it, though I haven't read the books in a long time. It seems like that character would be extraneous in an already loaded movie trilogy. He just wasn't relevant enough to the main story they were trying to tell.

OTOH, would have been a nice way to cast a hot, young actress and sneak some nudity in there (though everyone was naked IIRC).

vCash
    The biggest omission in LOTR imo is leaving out the Barrow Downs and the Scouring of the Shire.

SF Giants, SF 49ers, Sac Kings since birth.

vCash
    Just got back Didnt hate it but didnt love it either. There were some parts that really dragged and there were some parts that really brought me in. Overall I would give 2.5 stars

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast