Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

vCash
    The 3 hours go by fast in this movie, while in Django Unchained, you feel it was 3 hours long.

vCash
    Just leaving this in here, because it needed to be said:

Howard Shore is a ****ing genius. That theme though... Once again helicopter panoramic shots with his score are mind-blowing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry Norwegian View Post
    Just leaving this in here, because it needed to be said:

Howard Shore is a ****ing genius. That theme though... Once again helicopter panoramic shots with his score are mind-blowing.
    The few shots right before the mountain fighting scene were SPECTACULAR.

vCash
    I thought it was so boring.

I think the unbelievably slow beginning ruined the movie for me. After the first hour I was so bored I just couldn't get into it.

vCash
    Pretty darn good. LoTR is still better at this point. I'd still give it a 8.8/10.

"King Felix has hurled more mega quality starts since 2010 than 14 entire MLB teams."
    http://dynamik-farr.deviantart.com/

vCash
    another boring movie? god damn someone tell me a movie that isn't boring that worth watching tonight please!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sportfan View Post
    another boring movie? god damn someone tell me a movie that isn't boring that worth watching tonight please!
    There is nothing boring about this film at all, it is fantastic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by long ball View Post
    I thought it was so boring.

I think the unbelievably slow beginning ruined the movie for me. After the first hour I was so bored I just couldn't get into it.
    Really? I thought it was pretty damn entertaining throughout the movie, and agree with others that thought it didn't feel 3 hours long. There was a ton of action, and it had a quicker pace than the Fellowship of the Ring (great movie also), and that was a similar set-up movie for the following movies. I was expecting the movie to be pretty mediocre after the reviews, but it was great in my opinion.
    Patriots Forum Hall of Fame Class of 2011

vCash
    I don't get the hate on this at all. It was basically a lighter version of LOTR. I really enjoyed it, and it didn't feel nearly as long as Django.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyLuver View Post
    I don't get the hate on this at all. It was basically a lighter version of LOTR. I really enjoyed it, and it didn't feel nearly as long as Django.
    I haven't seen Django Unchained yet, but I can't imagine that's the case.

I didn't necessarily dislike The Hobbit. I would compare it to the first two Harry Potter movies compared to the others. The first two Harry Potter movies provided necessary background information, introduced the characters and provided enough history to grasp the rest of the series while establishing a certain basis for character motives and so forth.

Except with The Hobbit, the only real exposition it offers on LOTR is that it introduces Gandalf and Bilbo, but Bilbo only really has a very brief role in LOTR.

I'm really not trying to mock The Hobbit or downplay it or rate it poorly, but it just seems like a lighter version of LOTR (like you said) where the weight of events has very little bearing on the world, and yet they're trying to hype the events up to be greater than they were.

As a film, The Hobbit was great. I would probably rate it a 9/10. In comparison to LOTR, and in comparison to the source material, I would rate it a 7/10. I really wish I could disassociate, but I can't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PhillyLuver View Post
    Yup, I saw both and I loved both movies, but the 3 hours for the Hobbit went by fast and Django did not. After 2 hours you started to feel the length of that movie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tongue-Splitter View Post
    I haven't seen Django Unchained yet, but I can't imagine that's the case.

I didn't necessarily dislike The Hobbit. I would compare it to the first two Harry Potter movies compared to the others. The first two Harry Potter movies provided necessary background information, introduced the characters and provided enough history to grasp the rest of the series while establishing a certain basis for character motives and so forth.

Except with The Hobbit, the only real exposition it offers on LOTR is that it introduces Gandalf and Bilbo, but Bilbo only really has a very brief role in LOTR.

I'm really not trying to mock The Hobbit or downplay it or rate it poorly, but it just seems like a lighter version of LOTR (like you said) where the weight of events has very little bearing on the world, and yet they're trying to hype the events up to be greater than they were.

As a film, The Hobbit was great. I would probably rate it a 9/10. In comparison to LOTR, and in comparison to the source material, I would rate it a 7/10. I really wish I could disassociate, but I can't.
    Why would you ruin the experience by comparing it to the LOTR then? Almost any film ever compared to the LOTR will come out as a 7/10. Don't do it. Enjoy the film as it stands on its own as a different fantasy tale.

vCash
    I saw django followed by a 3 hour break, then saw hobbit, django felt way longer than hobbit, even though django was overal more entertaining. The hobbit I thought was a better overall movie. I thought it was ending at rivendale tbh, and was stoked it kept moving, unlike fellowship where I had no idea when it was going to end and was watching the time almost halfway through until the end

PSD's 2011 Diva's Champion

vCash
    wish i didnt have to wait a year for the next one
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    pretty good... i do think the dwarves and esp the dwarf king were a little too "clean cut"... i miss the ruggedness of arragon like in LOTR. Make it somewhat realistic... no cuts, bruises, dirt, anything on those dwarves

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast