Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hobbit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    It's pretty hard to determine that when you haven't and will not see the movie. That's like me not seeing The Dark Knight trilogy and claiming that Nolan simply stretched them out too much.

Peter Jackson did an incredible job with the trilogy. I don't see how we should judge the runtime before even seeing the film. And since when is runtime an issue? If it's too long for you, I don't see that as a shortcoming on the director's part. I see that as the viewer lacking the will to fully maintain an interest in the movie they're watching. I just think that if runtime is one of the first complaints, then that means it's probably a pretty damn impressive film.

I'm excited. I know it's going to be long. And I'm excited.
    I've read the book multiple times (childhood favorite) so I know all the elements of the plot. This movie was 3.5 hours. At that rate, the "trilogy" will be 10.5. The Hobbit is a short book. That is unacceptable. Look at the greatest book to movie adaptations and you will notice that none of them are ungodly long (as in 10.5 hours long). David Lean did a great job with Dr. Zhivago and it's about 3 hours and 15 minutes - and that book is a true epic. The Hobbit is not an epic, no matter how you slice it.

vCash
    Comic book movies should be about 90 minutes then?

Elements can be added. It's all a part of the art.

But I'll say it again. If this is the biggest complaint about the film, then I'll gladly embrace it.

EBOLA EBOLA EBOLA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by {Ron!n} View Post
    I think thats going to be the series downfalling. You can't split the freaking Hobbit into 3 movies. TLOR were so amazing and they were 3 separate books with 3 times the content of The Hobbit

Bad move IMO.
    I agree completely. I read the book and there is just no way they can stretch purely that book into 3 movies.

Quote Originally Posted by flea View Post
    Yeah, Tolkien can get long-winded, boring, with poor character development. It's basically the same shortcomings that haunt a lot of fantasy writers. They seem to overindulge their invented worlds at the cost of a consistently compelling narrative. GRR Martin got lavish praise because he didn't fall prey to this until books 4 and 5 of Song of Ice and Fire. Frankly a lot of the characters in LOTR are just bad, but it's okay because the story carries it well enough. The Hobbit, on the other hand, was quick enough to trick the reader - and why it's regarded as part of the canon while the rest isn't.
    I agree 100%! It seems the problem with most fantasy writers is that they get so entranced in their world that they never want it to end, so they start spinning side plot after side plot and end up rambling in an attempt to flesh out the story.

George R.R. Martin started to do this in the Fire and Ice series, but Robert Jordan was the worst culprit. After book 3 of the Wheel of Time Series there are maybe 2-3 books worth of actual plot driving material and it turned into 14 books total.

Both Martin and Jordan originally envisioned their stories as trilogies... what does that tell you?
    Quote Originally Posted by AmsterNat View Post
    How unsurprising. Dude, give up trying to argue with valade. He cut you into little pieces, had you for breakfast, and shat you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by mariner4life View Post
    Valade you have totally owned this thread. Well done
    My fanbase is growing.

vCash
    Got my ticket for IMAX 3D Thursday 845pm. Love how Dubai is releasing this a little early.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Yes, is three movies, not just one.
    Didn't know that and it just made me get sick to my stomach. They clearly are out to milk this cash cow for all its worth.... I have a very bad feeling about this to be honest. The previews didn't exactly make me excited to see it either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Yes, is three movies, not just one.
    Wait wtf? This is incredibly lame.

vCash
    Three movies

EBOLA EBOLA EBOLA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred View Post
    movies? they aren't stretching this into more than one I hope...

...and, I can't wait...I will see this at some point this weekend
    it'll be a trilogy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by netsgiantsyanks View Post
    it'll be a trilogy.
    Hope not...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buckwheat View Post
    Three movies
    So you would have liked for the original trilogy to have been 9 movies....

vCash
    I gotta work so I wont see the midnight release
    Seattle Seahawks- New Orleans Pelicans- Atlanta Braves- Anaheim Ducks

vCash

The Hobbit

It was going to be two movies at first, but then Jackson decided to add stuff from other Tolkien stories and that is how the third movie was born and am sure it will tie directly to the beginning of LOTR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    I think people are also forgetting that the Return of the King extended edition was 4 hours 11 minutes, and the Blu-Ray extended edition made that 4 hours 23 minutes.
    or they chose not to watcht eh extended version
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Honestly?

Yeah.

EBOLA EBOLA EBOLA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityroller View Post
    Not sure that's how it works.

The Hobbit, despite being only one book, is a very very meaty tale. One of best books I ever read despite only reading it once...over a decade ago. I'm really excited to see the Beorn character on screen.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast