Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    vCash
    While I happen to agree with you about the state of our organization, do you REALLY think the Steinbrenners will sell. I mean, I could definitely see it and I've heard rumors, but it'd still be a little bit of a shocker.

Who do you see buying the team? Imagine Cuban!!?? Wow!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYY 26 to 7 View Post
    Don't go to Yankee games anymore. Product is not worth the price and the new stadium sucks. Keep cutting that payroll while charging insane amounts after you just sold part of YES for a billion +. New owners are only a couple years away so who knows what the future of this franchise holds.
    yankees games ar enott hat much more expensive than most baseball games, so i dont see your point. the product isnt good enough? they just won the american league east and made the ALCS. its not that the product isn;t good enough, its the fans expecting far too much. as much as we want it, they aren't going to win the WS every year
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinstripe power View Post
    yankees games ar enott hat much more expensive than most baseball games, so i dont see your point. the product isnt good enough? they just won the american league east and made the ALCS. its not that the product isn;t good enough, its the fans expecting far too much. as much as we want it, they aren't going to win the WS every year
    Now there's two of us that understand this. Not sure why more people just don't get it.
    The REAL DEAL Yankee fan

vCash
    They're just trying to increase revenue any way they can before they sell the team. I mean, I'd want to cash in on the legacy that my father left to me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Decimotox View Post
    They're just trying to increase revenue any way they can before they sell the team. I mean, I'd want to cash in on the legacy that my father left to me.
    This has nothing to do with wanting to sell the team, or not chasing payroll. This has to do with keeping season ticket holders in place. I have good cheap seats, my cost is $28 a seat (I have a block of 4) and pay over nine grand a year. In a given year I might go to 8 games, give away another 8, and try and sell the rest. Enter Stubhub. Before Stubhub was popular I could more or less get face value for my games. When I sold them on Stubhub early on (before others figured it out) I would get about 120% of face for weekends and 80% of face for weekdays during the summer, and about 85/50 in April and September. It wasn't horrible.

This year everything blew up for the season ticket holder, friends who would buy - stopped buying in favor of Stubhub. Unless it was a premium game, a summer weekday game would net me about $60 versus $128, September games wouldn't move unless I was at about $4 a ticket.

Basically we lost about 3 grand this year on games we didn't go to. Yankees were sneaky this year and had us renew much earlier then in years past. Had they not done so we might have not renewed. We are already in discussion in down grading to worse cheap seats and dropping our plan. I have been a 61, then 81 season ticket holder since 2003 (prior to that I was a 15-26 game season ticket holder since 1997). No year have I ever lost more than about $1,000. This year it was three times that.

Now I hear woe is me the fans wont show if the tickets aren't $10. Hate to say it but the game you purchased was already purchased. The Yankees couldn't give a flying crap if you don't buy your ticket for $10. In fact for everyone of you who don't another will buy another seat from the Yankees for $30. But this move was about the most loyal customers, the season ticket holders. One more year like last year, even a partial year, and you can be sure that a number of non-corporate season ticket holders would have said enough. Of course that would have limited the number of tickets on stub hub and the market price would go up once again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobshirleyrules View Post
    This has nothing to do with wanting to sell the team, or not chasing payroll. This has to do with keeping season ticket holders in place. I have good cheap seats, my cost is $28 a seat (I have a block of 4) and pay over nine grand a year. In a given year I might go to 8 games, give away another 8, and try and sell the rest. Enter Stubhub. Before Stubhub was popular I could more or less get face value for my games. When I sold them on Stubhub early on (before others figured it out) I would get about 120% of face for weekends and 80% of face for weekdays during the summer, and about 85/50 in April and September. It wasn't horrible.

This year everything blew up for the season ticket holder, friends who would buy - stopped buying in favor of Stubhub. Unless it was a premium game, a summer weekday game would net me about $60 versus $128, September games wouldn't move unless I was at about $4 a ticket.

Basically we lost about 3 grand this year on games we didn't go to. Yankees were sneaky this year and had us renew much earlier then in years past. Had they not done so we might have not renewed. We are already in discussion in down grading to worse cheap seats and dropping our plan. I have been a 61, then 81 season ticket holder since 2003 (prior to that I was a 15-26 game season ticket holder since 1997). No year have I ever lost more than about $1,000. This year it was three times that.

Now I hear woe is me the fans wont show if the tickets aren't $10. Hate to say it but the game you purchased was already purchased. The Yankees couldn't give a flying crap if you don't buy your ticket for $10. In fact for everyone of you who don't another will buy another seat from the Yankees for $30. But this move was about the most loyal customers, the season ticket holders. One more year like last year, even a partial year, and you can be sure that a number of non-corporate season ticket holders would have said enough. Of course that would have limited the number of tickets on stub hub and the market price would go up once again.
    I COMPLETELY understand your position and AGREE with almost all of what you are saying, but WTF are you doing buying an 81 game package and only going to 8 games for??? if you don't use your tickets, you deserve to lose money, not recoup your loses or make money for christ's sake!

vCash
    And, I believe the Yankees do give a flying crap about the secondary market because an butt in the seat is better than NO butt in the seat for concessions and merchandise sales.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by djall10 View Post
    I COMPLETELY understand your position and AGREE with almost all of what you are saying, but WTF are you doing buying an 81 game package and only going to 8 games for??? if you don't use your tickets, you deserve to lose money, not recoup your loses or make money for christ's sake!
    Great question. I would have preferred to stay with my 61 game package. Thinking about downgrading to the every other game package (which I could have done when the Stadium opened). Problem here was that the seat locations were not as good. I like being in Section 422 half way up (would have preferred closer). If I went 42,I would be on the baseline (which now wouldn't be so bad). There is give and take, my seats are some of the better ones in the cheap seat area, so I sell them easier. So its give and take.

But the real reason I only go to 8 games a year...Get married and have three kids. Back in the good old days it was about 15.

Oh and I love my playoff dibs!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by djall10 View Post
    And, I believe the Yankees do give a flying crap about the secondary market because an butt in the seat is better than NO butt in the seat for concessions and merchandise sales.
    The guy who looks to buy the $10 seat isn't buying all that much on the concessions. The season ticket holder who sees his $500 seat go for $100, buys a lot of stuff. Yankees can easily discount their own tickets. Keep in mind When I sell a ticket for $100 on stubhub. Stub hub gets $25. in profit. Surely the Yankees can work out some discounts without seeing stub hub get such a high commission.

vCash
    The guy who looks to buy the $10 seat isn't buying all that much on the concessions. The season ticket holder who sees his $500 seat go for $100, buys a lot of stuff. Yankees can easily discount their own tickets. Keep in mind When I sell a ticket for $100 on stubhub. Stub hub gets $25. in profit. Surely the Yankees can work out some discounts without seeing stub hub get such a high commission.
    Like I said, I get it and agree with you...I think it was smart to support the season ticket holders. They have to be your first priority....as for a wife and kids, I understand that as well. Here's to seeing more games in your seats...

vCash
    This is ridiculous. All the season ticketholders who complain about not being able to sell half their tickets and make a profit (i'm talking about the poster who said they sold some tickets for 120% face value) need to calm down. If you wanted to buy something and flip it, try houses or cars. You're not real fans anyway. If you can't attend half the games then you shouldn't buy season tickets. Thats the business mentality: "i'll just buy season tickets because it comes out to less per ticket. not only will i save money by buying the season ticket plan, but i'll make money by reselling them for possibly more than they are worth!" thats the problem. its not about the team and the fans anymore. its about profits. i wouldn't mind losing some season ticket holders. most are stuck up rich guys who don't know how to cheer. its why the stadium was silent during the playoffs (even when they were winning). it used to be nice to feel the stadium shake when the fans went nuts. that'll never happen again because the "fans" who attend games now are afraid of spilling beer on their suit...smh

vCash
    I no longer live in NY, so I only get to go to a couple games a year if that. If I lived closer to the stadium, and had the time, I would absolutely 100% buy some sort of package, how ever many games it may be. Pinstripes run through my veins.

BUT, and with all due respect to season ticket holders, if you aren't able to sell your season tickets on certain days that you decide not to attend a game for at least face value, that's your problem. If you are buying tickets for that many games, with the intention of only going to a few, you set yourself up for it.

I'm not worried about this at all anyway, I still never pay face value. Very seldom ever went on stubhub. My mother has a few colleagues at the hospital she works at who have Mets, Phillies, Yankees season ticket. I regularly get $60-$70 dollar tickets for like $40.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees
    63-61

G: 111 | AVG: .269 | HR: 3| RBI: 32| OBP: .319 | SLG: .322 | wOBA: .290 | wRC: 80

vCash

Here's the problem with this.

You CHOSE to enter into a contract with the Yankee organization. It was your choice. Period.

As a fan I commend you on your loyalty and team support.

However, the thing is that neither you, Hal Steinbrenner, nor any other member of the Yankee organization has any legal right and/or expectation to forcibly compel a private organization, ie StubHub, to honor your wishes.

The Yankees only recourse was to terminate their endorsement/partnership with StubHub, which they did. THAT WAS THE EXTENT OF THEIR LEGAL ABILITY AND EXPECTATION to protect their base.

They have ZERO reasonable grounds to try and strong arm StubHub to operate according to their wishes by banning underselling EVEN if it is hurting their brand in the end. Free market capitalism is not bound by loyalty or obligation to anyone except the rule of law and the Yankees have NO legal footing to try and forcibly compel another private organization to operate as they see fit.

You can opine or debate this very simple legal fact if you wish, it will surely get knocked back in a court of law as it is perfectly legal to sell "below face" in the state of NY.

Unfortunately for those on the losing end of this arrangement, the Yankees have no ability, means or legal standing to force StubHub to conduct their business according to Hal Steinbrenners wishes unless he commands 50.1% of their voting stock.

While I am sorry that you are losing money on this whole scenario, it was a CHOICE you made to enter into this contractual obligation with the organization. It was also a risk you took and you have no real expectation that the law should bend to your wishes or to make sure that your feelings as a season ticket holder are mollified. You are rewarded by the Yankee organization with the caveat of your premiums on playoff seating but that gives you no right or access to tell another private business how they must conduct their own business legally.

As much as I hate StubHub (basically legally sanctioned scalping) they are perfectly within the boundaries of the law to conduct their business according to their wishes and not on blended knee to the whims of a few disgruntled season ticket holders whose contractual obligations and desires have been upended by free market correction.

I'm sorry that you are losing money but that is the risk you took when entering into this arrangement with the organization.
    Last edited by sauronthepower; 12-20-2012 at 01:51 AM.

And so, a new era begins.....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12