Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Breaking: Yankees opt out of StubHub Deal

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...medium=twitter

This is news that will affect a large portion of our fan base.

An unconfirmed rumor at this time is that the Yankees will not allow for the sale of tickets on StubHub for lower than face value. This is a huge blow to non-season ticket holders who came out to games because they could actually afford to. Can't wait to see YS even emptier than it's been since '09. Great...

vCash
    Not really breaking news..it's old news.

vCash
    Breaking: Not Breaking

vCash
    What's breaking is the restriction(s) that will be placed on ticket sales on StubHub. Unconfirmed reports are that selling Yanks tickets for under face will be prohibited. Again, this will affect many of our fans' willingness to head to the Stadium.
    Last edited by ohbilly2134; 12-10-2012 at 10:09 PM.

vCash
    The fee's on stubhub are so insane, I would never buy from that site anyway.

Craigslist/Ebay.

vCash
    ^ You could still get 2 tickets to the game for like $40 total. I was planning on buying tickets to like 5-6 games this year, I guess I'll have to try ebay.

Our QB > Yours

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ohbilly2134 View Post
    http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...medium=twitter

This is news that will affect a large portion of our fan base.

An unconfirmed rumor at this time is that the Yankees will not allow for the sale of tickets on StubHub for lower than face value. This is a huge blow to non-season ticket holders who came out to games because they could actually afford to. Can't wait to see YS even emptier than it's been since '09. Great...
    As a season ticket holder couldn't be happier. Stubhub was killing the market value of the tickets. Season ticket holders and empty seats were note moving. In fairness had stubhub deal not been messed with eventually the market would have returned an equilibrium.

However keep in mind the Yankees were getting a lot of flack from season ticket holders who figured, why bother paying full price for an 81 game commitment when I can buy a lot less, better seats and for less dollars. Once again, the market would have eventually gotten here, but the Yankees responding to their customers acted quickly.

When my rep called me, I told him this is what the Yankees should do with Stubhub.

1.) Permit a minimum ticket price of no less than 75% of face value
    2.) On Game Day, the face value of the ticket cannot be sold for less than 85% of face value.

In the end the Yankees were losing gate revenues, season ticket holders who sell their games were getting killed. I know many liked paying $10 a ticket on stubhub, but this was at the expense of a season ticket holder that was losing $20 a ticket. Simply put that pot was going to diminish anyway.

The Yankees are smart to protect their brand. Stubhub was cheapening their product to the point where the same customers you were buying those $10 seats were threatening to leave. Personally I would have been happy with a floor, put in place to preserve a minimum value. With a 25% floor, once you factor stubhub commissions, the price of the ticket would have been a little cheaper than going to the box office (but likely not as good seats). On game day, I think this had to go up to preserve the Yankee walkup.

As a season ticket holder I liked and hated stubhub. I do believe in time the market would have returned closer to the price the Yankees charge, but given the complaints the Yankees could no longer wait!

vCash
    Meh, don't care. Still never pay face value.
    FC Bayern Munchen

New York Yankees
    78-74

G: 136 | AVG: .250| HR: 4| RBI: 40| OBP: .299 | SLG: .303 | wOBA: .273 | wRC: 69

vCash
    I'm actually happy they're doing this.

It's now very readily apparent that Hal thinks his business degree has given him some sort of grand vision on how to increase the teams financial efficiency. This combined with the command to lower salary in the probable preparation to sell the team could well backfire when the teams selling value drops due to lack of fan turnout and non-competitiveness.

I've always had a problem with the Yankees doing business and therefore legitimizing a scalping agency because, let's face facts, stubhub is an illegal operation legitimized by pretty political donations and aggressive marketing.

What I find comical is that Hal thinks he's going to force market correction on the fans this way.

We will well see the ramifications of this policy on attendance in a few months when the average fan realizes he's been priced out in an already horrid economy.

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Not surprised by this move. Had an 11 game plan or so since 2008 and it has become increasingly difficult to sell extra tickets. This year couldn't sell any between 35-50% off the price because people would put their seats so low and take away from the rest.

Didn't renew for 2013. Secondary market has been horrible.

vCash
    Lame
    Future Ace

vCash
    i didnt know people sold them for less than face value online
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

vCash
    This doesn't affect me.

Welcome to KC, Miss Kacie!

vCash
    Interesting -- According to people in the know, it's illegal in NY state for any team to prohibit resale of tickets at any price. Not sure the Yankees could then legally deactivate paid tickets if they're being offered for lower than face.

Thus, I have no clue how this can possibly be enforced.

vCash
    Don't go to Yankee games anymore. Product is not worth the price and the new stadium sucks. Keep cutting that payroll while charging insane amounts after you just sold part of YES for a billion +. New owners are only a couple years away so who knows what the future of this franchise holds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast