Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

EU receives 2012 Nobel Peace Prize

December 11, 2012 by Agency Reporter

The European Union has received this year’s Nobel Peace Prize for turning Europe “from a continent of war to a continent of peace” in the six decades following World War Two.

The presidents of the European Union’s three main institutions collected the Nobel Peace Prize in Norway’s capital Oslo.

The EU was awarded the prize for its role in uniting the continent after two world wars.

At the ceremony there was applause when the leaders of France and Germany stood up, holding hands, the BBC reports.

Critics say the award is inappropriate. They point out that the eurozone crisis has exposed deep divisions in the 27-nation bloc.

Most of Europe’s national leaders were at the event, but not the UK’s David Cameron.

The British prime minister’s deputy, Nick Clegg – a longstanding advocate of the European project – represented the UK at the ceremony.

Nobel committee chairman Thorbjoern Jagland told the audience that in the current economic crisis “the political framework in which the union is rooted is more important than ever”.

“We must stand together, we have collective responsibility,” he said, warning of a risk of new nationalism in Europe.
    http://www.punchng.com/news/world/eu...l-peace-prize/

vCash

No surprise Cameron wasn't there. It would have been weird if he was there given that he's trying to absolve GB from having any relations with the EU. I personally don't have a problem with the EU receiving it. The EU getting it makes more sense than Obama getting it in 2009.

vCash
    Cue the "Peace Prize means nothing!" chorus.
    Visit my Blog.

"Glad the GOP finally came out with an Obamacare alternative. Can't wait to see their alternative to the Iraq War." - @LOLGOP

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    Cue the "Peace Prize means nothing!" chorus.
    While I agree with your point, I also would have felt the award would have been better represented by selecting an individual who embodies what the Nobel prize represents. But that's just me. I like the personal stories, so I can talk to my kids about the people, what they did, and what it means.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by natepro View Post
    cue the "peace prize means nothing!" chorus.
    You know us too well

I described my opinion and argument for it in the last thread, no need to rehash
    Last edited by The Schmooze; 12-11-2012 at 10:19 AM.