Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    vCash
    One last thing on quality of life...you are measuring it on "things"
    better cars, with Gps,and other comforts, bigger homes, and the likes...I measure it in income and something else that is even MORE important to me...my time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    Um if you run a business you shouldn't be saying half of this. While the price of fuel doesn't go up 1-2 bucks over night it does over a month. The price of steel can go up and down 10-30% in a matter of days.

When you talk about rent you should also you know talk about fixed costs being spread over more production and thus reduces fixed costs.

You also got to remember when paying people 50 cents an hour there is a huge shipping cost to get it here. It takes up quite a chunk of the wage gap. And of course you forget that regardless of unions if we can get it cheaper overseas we will.

That's just the highlights of correcting your ramblings.
    No actually it doesnt, gas prices have maintained a pretty steady price even inspite of huge shifts in the market, the seasonal adjustments are taken into account when tracking the stability of Oil.

You dont tie production to your fixed costs...what the hell are you talking about?, production is based exclusively on demand, that is why it is seperate from sales when reporting.
    This is exactly the kind of comment that GETS me rambling, Ive run my own buisness for more then 10 years already,How long have you been in Buisness?

when you build a P&L, you seperate your expenses in to two categories, controllable and uncontrollable, once youve signed a lease, your rent is fixed, it is uncontrollable, how the hell do you DECIDE to increase production to offset costs whith disregard to demand? that INCREASES YOUR COSTS!!!That is known as Inventory carrying costs, the more on hand you have the more is lost through shrink ,the more it costs to track, the more it costs to maintain.

Production is based on sales, sales are based on forcasts,forcasts are based on past performances.

well, you win...I wont continue to try and shed light on a subject matter you dont understand or have any experience in, you guys simply want to feel like your right, or you won some wierd kind of contest.

I supply my info, in the hopes of educating those whos ideas are less then fully reflective of the truth , thats it.
    Your like the Fourth "conservative" who has tryed to scold me for not supporting supply side economics, like Im a race traitor for not wanting to screw people to get rich(lol)

Its clear you have not read anything Ive supplied to you for your consideration and simply want to defend an idea youve embraced.

Ill leave you with this, as Ive shared before, I have had periods of significant wealth and significant poverty in my life.I have a Friend who is a Full Bird in the AF and every time I come at him about this stuff, he always says, dont tell me about hardships, I remember pawning my stereo, and TV to make ends meet....That is the extent of understanding he, and Im willing to bet most of you guys in here understand poverty.

when you wear the same pants for 6 month, when you eat two meals a week, when your sleeping on a bus bench, in winter, then come talk to me about who is deserving of what...

most insanity defenses fail in court.
    Do you know why? Because its B.S.people who study "insanity" will tell you how improbable it is, and why is it that the "vioces" never tell them to be really, really nice to someone, instead of kill, kill, kill(lol) all the time?
    The fact that you keep getting tails when flipping the coin should tell you something is wrong with this picture.
    The fact that only people who are relatively comforatble and closer to the top of the wealth ladder share your perspective should tell you something is wrong with your perspective...
    Last edited by stephkyle7; 12-12-2012 at 02:38 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by stephkyle7 View Post
    No actually it doesnt, gas prices have maintained a pretty steady price even inspite of huge shifts in the market, the seasonal adjustments are taken into account when tracking the stability of Oil.

You dont tie production to your fixed costs...what the hell are you talking about?, production is based exclusively on demand, that is why it is seperate from sales when reporting.
    This is exactly the kind of comment that GETS me rambling, Ive run my own buisness for more then 10 years already,How long have you been in Buisness?

when you build a P&L, you seperate your expenses in to two categories, controllable and uncontrollable, once youve signed a lease, your rent is fixed, it is uncontrollable, how the hell do you DECIDE to increase production to offset costs whith disregard to demand? that INCREASES YOUR COSTS!!!That is known as Inventory carrying costs, the more on hand you have the more is lost through shrink ,the more it costs to track, the more it costs to maintain.

Production is based on sales, sales are based on forcasts,forcasts are based on past performances.

well, you win...I wont continue to try and shed light on a subject matter you dont understand or have any experience in, you guys simply want to feel like your right, or you won some wierd kind of contest.

I supply my info, in the hopes of educating those whos ideas are less then fully reflective of the truth , thats it.
    Your like the Fourth "conservative" who has tryed to scold me for not supporting supply side economics, like Im a race traitor for not wanting to screw people to get rich(lol)

Its clear you have not read anything Ive supplied to you for your consideration and simply want to defend an idea youve embraced.

Ill leave you with this, as Ive shared before, I have had periods of significant wealth and significant poverty in my life.I have a Friend who is a Full Bird in the AF and every time I come at him about this stuff, he always says, dont tell me about hardships, I remember pawning my stereo, and TV to make ends meet....That is the extent of understanding he, and Im willing to bet most of you guys in here understand poverty.

when you wear the same pants for 6 month, when you eat two meals a week, when your sleeping on a bus bench, in winter, then come talk to me about who is deserving of what...

most insanity defenses fail in court.
    Do you know why? Because its B.S.people who study "insanity" will tell you how improbable it is, and why is it that the "vioces" never tell them to be really, really nice to someone, instead of kill, kill, kill(lol) all the time?
    The fact that you keep getting tails when flipping the coin should tell you something is wrong with this picture.
    The fact that only people who are relatively comforatble and closer to the top of the wealth ladder share your perspective should tell you something is wrong with your perspective...
    Your right gas prices are steady and predictable you know besides this chart (click on the 8 year chart)
    http://gasbuddy.com/gb_retail_price_chart.aspx In 2011 alone you had a swing of 22% from time to time. That's pretty unstable. And like I said many other commodities such as steel are much grander. Looking back over the average cost in 2012 fiscal year I have had from the high to the low 37% difference in steel pricing of one product we use.

When i'm talking about rent i'm saying the more you produce the cheaper your fixed costs are provided you have room to grow. If your rent is 1000 a month and produce 1000 units 1 dollar per unit goes to rent. If you are able and can sell 5000 your fixed cost getting assigned to each product is less. Thus you have the ability to sell it cheaper to increase demand. You do know that you can increase demand by lowering prices right?

And thankfully you won't continue to shed the light on how a business works to me. BMD just to stupid to understand how to run a business. Hopefully one day i'm hired into business, it's all i've ever dreamed about is to be able to do so, one day maybe someone will let me do it. (Sarcasm)

And please so because someone pawns a stereo they understand poverty? Someone who doesn't pawn a stereo or own a stereo (such as me as I don't make purchases like stereo's) doesn't understand poverty.

I think that's actually a pretty good idea. Instead of drug tests for welfare recipients we can have the have you pawned your stereo test. Oh you haven't. Yea no welfare for you, because you don't need it or understand the hardship. Come back when you pawned it.
    Last edited by behindmydesk; 12-12-2012 at 02:51 PM.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    LOL, and Im rambling?
    Again, bro...you obviously havent been in buisness so your struggleing and i dont get why you feel the need to continue arguing from a position of ignorance.

No one lowers prices when demand is high.For what? to work harder for less profit per unit,so you can percieve the cost of a fixed expense as lower?
    If you have an uncontrollable expense(rent) thats it, you approach it as fixed, and unmalleable, you dont make a buissness plan on the idea that at some point you can lower fixed costs, becasue you cannot forcast for what the market will do.

lets say you follow your idea, and you lower costs to stimulate demand, this is an unsustainable model, you have supplied a stimulus...much like some of you keep arguing, that it doesnt work it doesnt work...yes, actually it does, but it is like a short term boost, not a buisness model,
    so if I need to maintain a 35% margin ,if I lower prices, then I first Must produce more just to make up for my margin loss, now maybe Im operating at a 25% margin but selling a larger amount.Now you are at the mercy of the market, if sales slow,and I dont react fast enough...Im done. so I start up pricing, well people dont appreciate paying vastly fluctating prices in the market place, they are apt to wait and see if the price goes down again, only I cant wait, i already sacrificed 10% of my margin to try to offset a cost that I should have accounted for regardless, so now Im screwed.
    even if i return to a 35% margin, Im apt to have excessie inventories and my costs go up, and sales will flatten as people struggle to predict the value of the item becasue you are trying to manipulate the market.
    This is why prices dont go down until sales start to flatten, you dont do it to try and lower operating costs, by increasing sales, that is a road to failure.

You Build your profit margin into fixed costs.You determine a minimum volume and margin to sustain the buisness and then you work your Butt of to try and beat forcasts.

I really dont get why some of you guys insist on coming off as something your not.

Now, in my case, my margin is set.I could have tryed to set it at 50% or more, but Like I said, im not trying to bilk people.
    @ 35% I can expect a set profit margin, and sales forcast that has been steadily growing for 5 years through a recession, It is a low risk model, and Im very happy with it as are my employees, the goal isnt world domination, its porviding myself and my team a good life, thats it.

Im 49 years old, I knew about Miltary issues becasue i was IN the military, not for a single term, for 12 years.
    I knew about psychology,sociology and buisness, becasue I studied them, and continue to do so since 1987.
    I know about buisness operation becasue I do It.
    and i comment on historical facts becasue I research them..

kinda like the fact that Crude oil prices from 1947 until 1999, remained almost completely constant at 20.00 dollars a barrel...your "retail" chart doesnt pertain to the discussion, we were discussing raw material

here take a look:
    http://www.wtrg.com/oil_graphs/oilprice1947.gif

and in regards to steel here
    :http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...Ypod79pRbDEHtA

Chart 4 lists the price of steel products over time.
    The 1940 cost is almost identical to todays costs.

vCash
    LOL, and Im rambling?
    Again, bro...you obviously havent been in buisness so your struggleing and i dont get why you feel the need to continue arguing from a position of ignorance.

No one lowers prices when demand is high.For what? to work harder for less profit per unit,so you can percieve the cost of a fixed expense as lower?
    If you have an uncontrollable expense(rent) thats it, you approach it as fixed, and unmalleable, you dont make a buissness plan on the idea that at some point you can lower fixed costs, becasue you cannot forcast for what the market will do.

lets say you follow your idea, and you lower costs to stimulate demand, this is an unsustainable model, you have supplied a stimulus...much like some of you keep arguing, that it doesnt work it doesnt work...yes, actually it does, but it is like a short term boost, not a buisness model,
    so if I need to maintain a 35% margin ,if I lower prices, then I first Must produce more just to make up for my margin loss, now maybe Im operating at a 25% margin but selling a larger amount.Now you are at the mercy of the market, if sales slow,and I dont react fast enough...Im done. so I start up pricing, well people dont appreciate paying vastly fluctating prices in the market place, they are apt to wait and see if the price goes down again, only I cant wait, i already sacrificed 10% of my margin to try to offset a cost that I should have accounted for regardless, so now Im screwed.
    even if i return to a 35% margin, Im apt to have excessie inventories and my costs go up, and sales will flatten as people struggle to predict the value of the item becasue you are trying to manipulate the market.
    This is why prices dont go down until sales start to flatten, you dont do it to try and lower operating costs, by increasing sales, that is a road to failure.

You Build your profit margin into fixed costs.You determine a minimum volume and margin to sustain the buisness and then you work your Butt of to try and beat forcasts.

I really dont get why some of you guys insist on coming off as something your not.

Now, in my case, my margin is set.I could have tryed to set it at 50% or more, but Like I said, im not trying to bilk people.
    @ 35% I can expect a set profit margin, and sales forcast that has been steadily growing for 5 years through a recession, It is a low risk model, and Im very happy with it as are my employees, the goal isnt world domination, its porviding myself and my team a good life, thats it.

Im 49 years old, I knew about Miltary issues becasue i was IN the military, not for a single term, for 12 years.
    I knew about psychology,sociology and buisness, becasue I studied them, and continue to do so since 1987.
    I know about buisness operation becasue I do It.
    and i comment on historical facts becasue I research them..

kinda like the fact that Crude oil prices from 1947 until 1999, remained almost completely constant at 20.00 dollars a barrel...your "retail" chart doesnt pertain to the discussion, we were discussing raw material

here take a look:
    http://www.wtrg.com/oil_graphs/oilprice1947.gif

and in regards to steel here
    :http://www.google.com/url?q=http://w...Ypod79pRbDEHtA

Chart 4 lists the price of steel products over time.
    The 1940 cost is almost identical to todays costs.
    I'm still loling at your bolded part so much so that i'm done even talking about this with you. You claim to have done all these things, so I'll just leave it at that. Good luck in your endeavors and running this company of yours. I'm going to go listen to Fox news and hope to one day know how to run a company.

Come to psd where admitted dupes who do nothing but troll the gd and fs forum are free. But man don't you dare mention trolling on someone's wall.

vCash
    I do have one question for you Stephkyle

You own a company are you in manufacturing or just sales. You are a union company correct?

vCash
    so , for anyone who cares,
    When you build a buisness model, you factor your fixed costs as just that, FIXED.
    then, you determine, controllable expense levels(pay roll, suplies, utilities)then you determine volume and margin requirements to sustain the buisness.
    You make sure your requirements are in line with current projections within that segment of the market, and go from there.
    always plan for the worst and hope for the best.

But NEVER tie your ability to manage fixed expenses into growth forcasts you cant predict.You are already doing that as soon as you open the doors(lol) you dont need to make it any tougher then it already is.

@ BMD.
    No I dont run a union shop,
    Like I said, I have a small operation and I take care of my people, but I have worked union before and I have a historical perspective you lack, Why that upsets you I dont get...Im not interetsed in putting anyone down or making anyone mad.Im trying , once again to change peoples perspectives on issues they dont seem to fully understand.

I am in sales and my staff is not unionized, we are to small.

vCash
    so , for anyone who cares,
    When you build a buisness model, you factor your fixed costs as just that, FIXED.
    then, you determine, controllable expense levels(pay roll, suplies, utilities)then you determine volume and margin requirements to sustain the buisness.
    You make sure your requirements are in line with current projections within that segment of the market, and go from there.
    always plan for the worst and hope for the best.

But NEVER tie your ability to manage fixed expenses into growth forcasts you cant predict.You are already doing that as soon as you open the doors(lol) you dont need to make it any tougher then it already is.

@ BMD.
    No I dont run a union shop,
    Like I said, I have a small operation and I take care of my people, but I have worked union before and I have a historical perspective you lack, Why that upsets you I dont get...Im not interetsed in putting anyone down or making anyone mad.Im trying , once again to change peoples perspectives on issues they dont seem to fully understand.

I am in sales and my staff is not unionized, we are to small
    Well how do I know you are taking care of your people enough. I mean you say you do, but I have no idea just like you have no idea if companies that support right to work and are anti union are damaging there people. You just assume you are doing enough but I encourage you to make sure. Get a union in there. I do not believe there is any floor on the number of employees you need to have a union. For your employees well being I will provide a link that will help you on becoming a union shop. You can then work with the union to make sure your employees are taken care of not just that you assume you are.

http://www.aflcio.org/Learn-About-Un...et-You-Started

There is also a contact union organizer on the website as well. You don't have to be an employee to set up a union at your company. Good luck and thank you for making sure your people are fully taken care of and oversaw by a union person and not up to your desecration or market factors.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Not all unions, but the professions certainly share many similar traits. I would wager than a good number of union jobs require some very specific training that the unions are expected to pay the cost for like maneuvering heavy equipment.
    I am still struggling to grasp at how you can come to this conclusion. There isn't a single piece of heavy equipment that requires multiple years of grad school to operate. There aren't any tests required to operate a road grader (unless you want to count the test for a CDL (commercial driver's license) if its required.

Now if you wanted to go in the direction of say an electrician. They are also required to have a fairly vast knowledge of the field they are working in. Still though in my opinion doesn't get them to the level of practicing medicine especially some of the more specialized fields. To me this is like trying to compare a U.S. Senator to a county commissioner. They both require certain amount of the same things to be elected but beyond that are nothing alike.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hoosiercubsfan View Post
    I am still struggling to grasp at how you can come to this conclusion. There isn't a single piece of heavy equipment that requires multiple years of grad school to operate. There aren't any tests required to operate a road grader (unless you want to count the test for a CDL (commercial driver's license) if its required.

Now if you wanted to go in the direction of say an electrician. They are also required to have a fairly vast knowledge of the field they are working in. Still though in my opinion doesn't get them to the level of practicing medicine especially some of the more specialized fields. To me this is like trying to compare a U.S. Senator to a county commissioner. They both require certain amount of the same things to be elected but beyond that are nothing alike.
    On the road grader it does require some training. Not years and years but yes you need to know the operation, safety and be able to read grade equipment (lasers freaking lasers and things like that)
    You can go to school and get your accreditation google helped me on this one http://www.operator-school.com/

On electrician's they go to vocational schools.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by behindmydesk View Post
    On the road grader it does require some training. Not years and years but yes you need to know the operation, safety and be able to read grade equipment (lasers freaking lasers and things like that)
    You can go to school and get your accreditation google helped me on this one http://www.operator-school.com/

On electrician's they go to vocational schools.
    That was the point i was trying to get at. That while not all union jobs are unskilled labor they still don't rise to near the level of a professional career (Doctor, Lawyer etc.). Providing answer the Dbronc's initial question about those types of professions should absolutely be licensed by the state while also agreeing with right to work legislation.
    French writer Alexis de Tocqueville warned about when visiting this fledgling democracy in the early 19th century that this "American republic will endure until politicians realize they can bribe the people with their own money."

vCash
    Its like having a conversation with a 10 year old.

I provided a historical account and a PHDs exhaustive research proving that Right to work legislation depresses income and economic growth,but none of that matters, I see now that you are lost...completely victimized by the false information youve been raised to accept as truth.

Gcoll has insisted quality of life has increased consistently, Ive countered that, claiming the opposite, I dont have the proper forum to explain things that happened twenty and thirty years before you guys were even born, but Once again Ill try to educate you...you can go off on some juvenile outburst about how you dont need to be told anything becasue you apparently know all there is to be taught.

After ww1 the rise of communism created a new dynamic in the worlds competing economic philosophies.shortly their after, the unbridled capitalism of the 1920s caused a global economic collapse...with certain exceptions.One being the communist insular soviet Union.

This is relevant becasue when FDR began new deal reforms and labor Unions were growingh in power, Capitalism and the pluocrats that had the wealth had a two front war.
    The most Important of which was against communism.Labor? they were small potatos compared to a growing sentiment that maybe socilaism /communism would be a protection against a repeat of a financila collapse.
    This terrified the Plutocrats because the first step in communization is taking all their money and property away.
    So a war was launched against communism, that continued for almost 70 years.
    Through ww2, through Mccarthy, through Hoover,the primary focus of the plutocrasy wass killing communism..they put all their assest toward proving that it didnt work and capitalism and free markets were far, far better.

part of that disparity they needed to draw, was a better standard of living for the average american...this meant supporting Unions.Everyone needed to be much better off then the starving commies.

Our standard of living soared through the 50s,60,70s and part of the 80s....right up until at last the Soviet Union fell.
    Communism was for all intents and purposes dead.

So now what?
    Hmmm, well ,there is no competeing philosophy anymore to worry about, so our system isnt being threatened, so standards of living were no longer relevant to them.so they set out to gain back every last bit of power influnece and Income that unions had provided the american middle class

Since the mid 80s, incomes have been in steady decline, standard of living has ground to a crawl, and the Rt leaning media has sown a mythology of lies and deceptions that some of you have grown up believing becasue you simply dont know any better...But you know what ..its cool, Ill be in the ground long before you reap what you are trying to sow....good luck fellas...

vCash

Michigan: "Right to Work" Pending Law

Still not answering why you won't unionize if its such a great thing

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    The same corrupt actions apply tenfold to companies, but sometimes workers have to take that for the sake of working. Unions, like any business, want to profit, but they still work for the good of the employees. Do they want to avoid unions and get screwed over by the company or get high fees from unions but have a better quality of life.

Simple thing is, you can't have the option of paying dues or not, b/c ultimately (especially in these times) people choose not which puts the unions out of business and then you once again swing the pendulum back in overwhelming favor of profit over people.
    Isn't that just a bit inconistent of applying the principle though? We have to keep a union working through forcing people to join it, but the company can basically go screw if they can't keep up? And the employee can go screw if the union benefits suck? Seems like a sweet deal for the union. I see unions potentially making companies less competetive, and if they fail, cost everyone employed there their job. That benefits no one. I do acknowledge the benefits unions have provided over the years, but the costs of the approach taken here trump the potential benefits.

If unions should be in existence, then they should live by the same rules the rest of us do. Attract membership through incentives, or die away. If its not worth an employee's money for the dues to join, that sounds like a problem that the union leadership need to be able to solve, or shut down. That's how the rest of us live- so can the unions.

EDIT- I mean no offense to you GGGG Men- at all. I realize we are approaching this issue from two very different perspectives. I'd like to better understand why unions really are still necessary given current labor law, or even moreally right if we're jut going to allow them to force people to join, and pay them. Not to mention the implications of forcing people to join and pay groups that are huge political conributors.
    Last edited by Patsfan56; 12-12-2012 at 10:42 PM.

vCash
    Unions developed out of workers resentments and poor treatment, compensations,etc.
    My guys could unionize, if they wanted to, but it wouldnt effect anything, they are already paid above scale.
    I would SAVE money if i unionized! LOL!!!
    I really wish You could explain why your so obstinant in expressing an opinion that isnt based in any historical facts?
    Even HCFs best defense was that all the issues that Unions fixed are all old and as such he fealt were Irrelevant.
    He seemed to think that subsequent laws that mirrored Union gains have made unions unnecessary. The problem is that Laws can be changed, just like they are doing right now.
    Unions built this country. dont take my word for it, research it.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast