Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    What extra 9 million? Ichiro is the overpay. We could have a guy like Nate Schierholtz on the cheap. We're not going to spend as much as it would have cost to resign Nick Swisher, imply because we went another direction. This is the new, cheap Yankees.

And let's be clear, there's a massive downgrade if we look at the last couple of years. Ichiro is a .320 wOBA guy. Swisher in the .360 realm.
    But Ichiro is exciting and he makes the Yankees money!!!! Who the heck cares who's better?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertDominguez View Post
    My question is not Ichiro vs Swisher. My question is how can we "not afford" 2 years and 17 million for a 29 year old Catcher but we CAN afford 2 years and 13-14 mill for a 39 year old right fielder.

Is it easier to find, whether in trade or via free agency, a catcher who is worth a damn or a right fielder?
    It is pretty easy to figure out...

In the beginning of the offseason Hal gave Cashbox strict orders of how to spend...as you can see many of Cashman's attempts were destroyed by Hal....Martin was signed early....when the Yankees needed players Hal said only for 1 year...as the talent pool dried up Cashmnan went to Hal and said the options were running out....Ichiro was the target and the Yanks really wanted to offer him 1 year but Philly and another team offered 2 years and the Yankees could not lose again so 2 years was the offer...
    Nick(mush)

vCash
    Ichiro is a much better player than Swisher that is just the way it is and I hope Swishers gets his big payday and I hope it is in the division. let them suffer with over paying for this clown

vCash
    But wait.....swisher gets walks! He's worth $100 million!
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Message to Hal: SIGN EVERYONE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    But wait.....swisher gets walks! He's worth $100 million!
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leoharris
    Worst postseason player in Yankee history.

That's Yankee history, not Astros history.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djall10
    I am interested to know, after the off season so far, if there would be a contract you would be comfortable signing Swisher to...and please don't say 2 years, $2 dollars and a dozen donuts. Seriously, please. Keep in mind that Hamilton got 5/125 and Victorino go 3/39...Maybe 5/65?

Leo, I posted this in the "Soriano" thread but didn't get an answer and was wondering what your thoughts were for a fair contract for Swisher...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madhouse View Post
    Ichiro is a much better player than Swisher that is just the way it is and I hope Swishers gets his big payday and I hope it is in the division. let them suffer with over paying for this clown
    You would be hard pressed to prove that during Ichiro's prime, let alone now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by djall10 View Post
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by leoharris
    Worst postseason player in Yankee history.

That's Yankee history, not Astros history.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by djall10
    I am interested to know, after the off season so far, if there would be a contract you would be comfortable signing Swisher to...and please don't say 2 years, $2 dollars and a dozen donuts. Seriously, please. Keep in mind that Hamilton got 5/125 and Victorino go 3/39...Maybe 5/65?

Leo, I posted this in the "Soriano" thread but didn't get an answer and was wondering what your thoughts were for a fair contract for Swisher...
    As I've said all year, even before free agency, the best s e barrio for the Yanks was to collect a draft pick for swisher. While a solid player, he does not offer anything that can't be replaced. And to pay him over $10 m per year is just insane in our situation.

So, to answer your question, I would not offer Swisher one dollar more than Itchy took.

It's the smart move.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    You would be hard pressed to prove that during Ichiro's prime, let alone now.
    A first ballot Hall of Famer isn't better than Swisher?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    A first ballot Hall of Famer isn't better than Swisher?
    Hey, thanks for answering because I recognize you and I are on different sides of the fence on this one!

I understand the Yanks $189 situation and, therefore, a multi-year contract for Swisher is not possible, but I was thinking 5/65 would be fair in comparison to what has been handed out already. Now, having said that, he probably will get more from someone else...

As for the Ichy/Swish comparison, maybe I should have qualified the statement a little. I read it that he was stating Ichiro was better than Swish at present day...which I don't believe he is. Also, it is debatable who is a better, more valuable player even in Ichiro's prime... a left-handed, slap hitter with great defense or a switch hitting, all around offense and defensive player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madhouse View Post
    Better present day or in his prime?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    What extra 9 million? Ichiro is the overpay. We could have a guy like Nate Schierholtz on the cheap. We're not going to spend as much as it would have cost to resign Nick Swisher, imply because we went another direction. This is the new, cheap Yankees.

And let's be clear, there's a massive downgrade if we look at the last couple of years. Ichiro is a .320 wOBA guy. Swisher in the .360 realm.
    has that .360 wOBA helped us in the postseason in all the years Swish has been here?

Sometimes you have to look beyond stats, games aren't played on a computer. Ichiro gives us a dimension Swisher does not, he will put the ball in play, he will hit the other way, he won't strike out every game... he will go 1st to 3rd on singles, he will score from 1st on doubles... he will bunt guys over...

Not sure if you watch the NBA, but look at what Kidd has done for the Knicks... a 39 year old PG who put up "measly" stats last year is helping them so much with his intangibles.

Stats might tell you Swisher is better than Ichiro, but I don't believe it for 1 second. I mean stats would have told you Swish was better than Bernie in some years, but no one would ever take Swish over Bernie in ANY year.

And that's if all things were equal, contract wise, Swish vs Ichiro is FAR from equal. At the very least Swish will command 4/60m which will take him close to his 37th bday. Thanks, but i'll take Ichy at 6.5m for 2 years. the guy is in phenomenal shape, just like Kidd.

vCash
    Hey, thanks for answering because I recognize you and I are on different sides of the fence on this one!

I understand the Yanks $189 situation and, therefore, a multi-year contract for Swisher is not possible, but I was thinking 5/65 would be fair in comparison to what has been handed out already. Now, having said that, he probably will get more from someone else...

As for the Ichy/Swish comparison, maybe I should have qualified the statement a little. I read it that he was stating Ichiro was better than Swish at present day...which I don't believe he is. Also, it is debatable who is a better, more valuable player even in Ichiro's prime... a left-handed, slap hitter with great defense or a switch hitting, all around offense and defensive player.
    no its not... teams don't fear Swisher, he's just an average solid guy in the lineup... I remember absolutely being terrified of prime Ichiro and the havoc he could cause. You knew he was going to put the ball in play, just that alone had all the infielders on their toes because a simple ground ball could be an infield single, and then you knew he had a great chance of stealing 2nd and 3rd. Swisher never changed games the way Ichy did...

Ichy led the Yankees in stolen bases despite only playing half a year for us.

i have a feeling 6 months from now we'll all be talking about what a great signing Ichy was, he's capable of .300 10-15 hr's with 40sb IMO playing in yankee stadium

vCash
    I like Ichiro, but we have a player like him already in Gardner. I would prefer to have a player like Swisher in RF with Ichiro/Gardner platooning. It's a corner outfield position that needs some power...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    has that .360 wOBA helped us in the postseason in all the years Swish has been here?

Sometimes you have to look beyond stats, games aren't played on a computer. Ichiro gives us a dimension Swisher does not, he will put the ball in play, he will hit the other way, he won't strike out every game... he will go 1st to 3rd on singles, he will score from 1st on doubles... he will bunt guys over...

Not sure if you watch the NBA, but look at what Kidd has done for the Knicks... a 39 year old PG who put up "measly" stats last year is helping them so much with his intangibles.

Stats might tell you Swisher is better than Ichiro, but I don't believe it for 1 second. I mean stats would have told you Swish was better than Bernie in some years, but no one would ever take Swish over Bernie in ANY year.

And that's if all things were equal, contract wise, Swish vs Ichiro is FAR from equal. At the very least Swish will command 4/60m which will take him close to his 37th bday. Thanks, but i'll take Ichy at 6.5m for 2 years. the guy is in phenomenal shape, just like Kidd.
    Excellent post.

Unfortunately, the stat geeks can't see anything besides paper.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash

Nothing wrong with ur opinion. I just disagree. I'd rather have the smart vet situational guy who can do whatever is needed.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 LastLast