Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    I don't recall ever saying stats are the only possible reasoning for wanting a player or not. I believe the eye test is necessary in evaluating the intangibles of a player, but when it comes to direct comparison of two players (like Ichiro and Swisher) stats tend to bridge the gap of uncertainty and break down strengths and weaknesses at an equal level.
    How ANYONE can think Swisher is a better signing than Itchy for our current situation is mind boggling.

Swisher wants $15m per year for like 5 years, lets say.

Itchy is signing for $6m for 1-2 years.

Itchy is a better clutch player and better defender and better base runner by miles. Itchy also generates huge revenue if that matters to fans. I think it does as it creates possible future spending.

Swisher hits hr and takes pitches. Yippee.

It's quite simple who the smart play was.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

ESPN Reporting CC Rehab Going Well.

vCash
    My question is not Ichiro vs Swisher. My question is how can we "not afford" 2 years and 17 million for a 29 year old Catcher but we CAN afford 2 years and 13-14 mill for a 39 year old right fielder.

Is it easier to find, whether in trade or via free agency, a catcher who is worth a damn or a right fielder?

Make Pete Rose An Offer He Cannot Refuse

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertDominguez View Post
    My question is not Ichiro vs Swisher. My question is how can we "not afford" 2 years and 17 million for a 29 year old Catcher but we CAN afford 2 years and 13-14 mill for a 39 year old right fielder.

Is it easier to find, whether in trade or via free agency, a catcher who is worth a damn or a right fielder?
    It's all about revenue. Fans don't see this. Itchy makes the Yanks a ton of loot off the field. Martin zero. Swisher zero.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Seems i'm the only one that likes this deal.

2 years might not be ideal, but Ichiro is in amazing shape, and he adds a dimension and professionalism to this team.

He might be a .280 hitter at this point in his career, but not all .280 hitters are created equal. He can steal bases, bunt, hit the ball the other way, good situational hitter...and o yea, he won't strike out 175 times like most of our lineup.

Trash the guy all u want, but I felt more comfortable with him hitting in the postseason last year than I did with most of our "STARS".

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    Seems i'm the only one that likes this deal.

2 years might not be ideal, but Ichiro is in amazing shape, and he adds a dimension and professionalism to this team.

He might be a .280 hitter at this point in his career, but not all .280 hitters are created equal. He can steal bases, bunt, hit the ball the other way, good situational hitter...and o yea, he won't strike out 175 times like most of our lineup.

Trash the guy all u want, but I felt more comfortable with him hitting in the postseason last year than I did with most of our "STARS".
    I'm pretty sure I'm the president of wanting Itchy back, but you can be my partner!

I am surprised at the two years though. I wasn't a fan of that at first, but its so cheap.....it's a win.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    3:47pm: The Yankees are moving closer to a deal with Ichiro and the sides are expected to agree to terms within the next few days, ESPN.com's Buster Olney reports (on Twitter).

Welcome back, Ichiro!
    As of 5pm Ichiro has not signed his contract yet. Jumping the gun a little?
    Nick

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    As of 5pm Ichiro has not signed his contract yet. Jumping the gun a little?
    Few days is 3-5 days.

So not sure the point of this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post
    Few days is 3-5 days.

So not sure the point of this?
    I was being facetious...he cracked on me for the possible Dickey trade...people take things too literally on here....I never said it was a done deal just said the Jays were in serious talks and had a deal but waiting for an extension. He said at 4pm there was no mention of a trade.....
    Nick

vCash
    I think Ichiro will be great, he is chasing 3000...and the Yanks probably gave him a marketing contract......always thinking about $$$$$$$$$$$
    Nick

vCash
    Ichiro = exciting player
    Swisher + Martin = ZZZzzzzz
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Web win.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    How ANYONE can think Swisher is a better signing than Itchy for our current situation is mind boggling.

Swisher wants $15m per year for like 5 years, lets say.

Itchy is signing for $6m for 1-2 years.

Itchy is a better clutch player and better defender and better base runner by miles. Itchy also generates huge revenue if that matters to fans. I think it does as it creates possible future spending.

Swisher hits hr and takes pitches. Yippee.

It's quite simple who the smart play was.
    This X 1000...

Swish is a liability in the outfield.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertDominguez View Post

NY is only concerned with marketting, not actual production or value. But surely NY will put the added money from Ichiro back into the team.....

Web win.
    We're I to guess, I'd assume he's being sarcastic.

vCash
    Look, is Ichiro better than Swisher? Maybe not, but what he gives us is financial flexibility next season when we're trying to get under 189. On top of that, he is not much of a downgrade to Swisher, especially when you consider things like SB and playoffs performance. Signing Ichiro over Swisher makes us slightly worse in 2013 (in the regular season only) but a lot better in 2014 with the extra $9 million we will have to spend.

Derek Jeter is a lucky man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoba Chughes View Post
    Look, is Ichiro better than Swisher? Maybe not, but what he gives us is financial flexibility next season when we're trying to get under 189. On top of that, he is not much of a downgrade to Swisher, especially when you consider things like SB and playoffs performance. Signing Ichiro over Swisher makes us slightly worse in 2013 (in the regular season only) but a lot better in 2014 with the extra $9 million we will have to spend.
    What extra 9 million? Ichiro is the overpay. We could have a guy like Nate Schierholtz on the cheap. We're not going to spend as much as it would have cost to resign Nick Swisher, imply because we went another direction. This is the new, cheap Yankees.

And let's be clear, there's a massive downgrade if we look at the last couple of years. Ichiro is a .320 wOBA guy. Swisher in the .360 realm.

Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 ... LastLast