Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    So the Yankees make more money and we put an inferior product on the field. That's what you love watching?
    I would rather watch itchy than swisher. Any day.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

Message to Hal: SIGN EVERYONE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Have a feeling Hughes is going to the Cubs for Soriano...
    That would just about put the finishing touches on the worst offseason ever...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by leoharris View Post
    I would rather watch itchy than swisher. Any day.
    So you enjoy wrapping the season up in August?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    So you enjoy wrapping the season up in August?
    He was our BEST player in Sept and the playoffs combined. The BEST.

Your guy was the WORST.

And that doesn't count the enormous fielding discrepancies.

Your argument of dumb azz stats is invalid in real life.

Hence, itchy is wearing pinstripes and swisher will live in Cleveland.

Thx for playing.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    The only thing I like about itchy, is how he dances under the ball before he catches it, otherwise I find him to be annoying.

vCash
    And itchy can hit all those bats with a baseball. Assuming u saw that commercial...

So there!
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    LOL!!! Ichiro is terrible !!!
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    I think I would rather have AJ for 2 years than Ichiro. To each his own. Still love me some Itchy!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by x McLovin x View Post
    Martin definitely isn't perfect but I just prefer him to all the other realistic possibilities. I want to make that very clear from the get go. I especially prefer signing him over Ichiro if the rumored offer we have out for Ichiro is true.

Taken from my post earlier today in the MLB forum:

I prefer not to throw out 2 seasons of sample size prior to Ichiro joining the Yankees.

Ichiro 2011: wOBA = .281; wRC+ = 79; WAR = 0.4
    Ichiro 2012: wOBA = .300; wRC+ = 90; WAR = 2.6

Martin 2011: wOBA = .324; wRC+ = 100; WAR = 3.0
    Martin 2012: wOBA = .316; wRC+ = 95; WAR = 2.2

Martin is the better hitter and player and I think that is quite obvious. Add the fact that Ichiro is way more likely to decline offensively next season than Martin purely based on their respective skillsets and current ages. PLUS Ichiro is an outfielder and Martin is a catcher and that is the big part of the argument. AND this lineup is already lefty heavy. We already have a light hitting left handed outfielder in Gardner and we're now adding a second light hitting left handed outfielder to that mix. Where will we be making up the offense lost from Swisher, Martin and Ibanez? Who is available that will help us make up for that lost offense? Unless we sign Hamiltion, which is incredibly unlikely, I don't see many viable alternatives to help stave off the drop-off in offense. Not to mention it is reasonably likely to assume that AROD, Jeter, and Teixeira are going to decline the next 2 seasons as well. Throw in the uncertainty surrounding Cano and, to a lesser extent, Granderson's contract situations (they expire at the end of 2013) and this offense has massive question marks for 2014 with no easy way to solve them.

I love Ichiro and I realize he was a huge spark plug for us down the stretch and the Yankees may as well have been sitting at home in October if not for him but that doesn't mean I think it's good to pay someone for their former glory and I don't think it's smart to give someone with his particular skillset and age that type of contract with the $189 million mandate in 2014. I think the opportunity cost of signing him must be taken into consideration when considering the lack of flexibility the team has the next two years.

I don't really have a problem with AJ Pierzynski although I can do without his bad attitude and the Yankees have placed a much higher value on character and makeup the last few years. But hey, the Yankees signed Youkilis so you never know these days. The Yankees don't want to commit to him because they don't like his defense and I don't think he'll take a one year deal after having a career year anyway. At his age I think he'll try to turn his big year into a more secure, lucrative contract so I'm not going to just automatically pencil him into our roster. And what exactly is the alternative to Pierzynski if we don't sign him? Practically nothing. A barren desert. A replacement for Ichiro, however, can be acquired rather easily.

I'm absolutely fine with the Ichiro signing as long as:
    A) He's not our starting right fielder
    AND
    B) His 2013 and, more importantly, his 2014 salary does not preclude us from making additional moves to make the team stronger for 2013 and beyond

If both of these conditions are not satisfied I think it's a poor decision to sign him.
    Have we forgotten that Martin was an automatic out, and likely will continue to be an automatic out for the rest of his career? Conversely, Ichiro has a good chance of hitting over .300 again, stealing 40 bases and playing GG defense. I don't believe it was age that led to his awful numbers, but lack of protection and boredom. It was his drive that slowed down, not his body. It was clear what kind of player he could be once he joined the yankees. If he does post those numbers again I'm going to bump this thread sometime next season.
    "I'm an administrator. I'm a good listener. I would not pass myself off as an evaluator of talent"

- Brian Cashman, GM of the Yankees

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Have we forgotten that Martin was an automatic out, and likely will continue to be an automatic out for the rest of his career? Conversely, Ichiro has a good chance of hitting over .300 again, stealing 40 bases and playing GG defense. I don't believe it was age that led to his awful numbers, but lack of protection and boredom. It was his drive that slowed down, not his body. It was clear what kind of player he could be once he joined the yankees. If he does post those numbers again I'm going to bump this thread sometime next season.
    I agree with this. I suspect that playing for losing teams in Seattle year after year may have had some effect on his performance. I know that statistically you can argue that the Ichiro signing makes little sense, but I think he will earn his contract and more over the next couple of years. He may be 39, but he's not a typical 39 year old, thanks to his physical conditioning. Plus, he still has the speed and the defense to be an everyday contributor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Win.

You see, only stats matter to some people. But stats don't reflect real life situations.

Hence, the dumb arguments above.

Itchy is an excellent baseball player in all facets. Period.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    Win.

You see, only stats matter to some people. But stats don't reflect real life situations.

Hence, the dumb arguments above.

Itchy is an excellent baseball player in all facets. Period.
    What does that even mean?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Yankee Clipper View Post
    What does that even mean?
    It means the eyes mean more than paper.

You guys with the stats argument belittle others opinions like they are just plain wrong. That is uncalled for.

If stats were everything, why is Jeter our SS? His def stats blow. Why is itchy in RF? Oh.

I know that I see certain players help a team win by more than stats. And those are the guys I prefer.

Itchy is one of those guys. Intangibles. Smart. Speedy. Gold glove. Contact hitter. Swisher is a pure stat. This many hr. this many rbi. Nothing more. Nothing added.

Hence, my opinion.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

vCash
    It means the eyes mean more than paper.

You guys with the stats argument belittle others opinions like they are just plain wrong. That is uncalled for.

If stats were everything, why is Jeter our SS? His def stats blow. Why is itchy in RF? Oh.

I know that I see certain players help a team win by more than stats. And those are the guys I prefer.

Itchy is one of those guys. Intangibles. Smart. Speedy. Gold glove. Contact hitter. Swisher is a pure stat. This many hr. this many rbi. Nothing more. Nothing added.

Hence, my opinion.
    I don't recall ever saying stats are the only possible reasoning for wanting a player or not. I believe the eye test is necessary in evaluating the intangibles of a player, but when it comes to direct comparison of two players (like Ichiro and Swisher) stats tend to bridge the gap of uncertainty and break down strengths and weaknesses at an equal level.

vCash
    As for Jeter being our shortstop, he shouldn't be at this point in his career. He makes routine plays and plays where he has to charge in fine, but moving laterally is a HUGE weakness of his.

Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast