Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 6cadi6 View Post
    Ichiro will make the team more money, I think that is the bottom line here.
    I agree that he will likely make the Yankees a bit more money from jersey/merchandise sales and a bit from the Japanese media/fans coming to some of the games. The question is this: will the Yankees actually look to invest some of that money in other areas of the team? Otherwise what good is it to us as fans for Ichiro to make the Yankees more money without it affecting the roster in any meaningful way?

I think the Yankees will pocket the extra money rather than reinvest it but I could be wrong, and I hope I'm wrong.
    Last edited by x McLovin x; 12-13-2012 at 12:36 PM.

vCash
    I dont think you are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by madhouse View Post
    i am glad he is back, this guy can stll play at an all star level
    Anyone can play at an all star level if your projections are derived from a 2 month sample size in a very hitter friendly stadium for lefties. I disagree with that projection, however, for reasons I've stated over the last 2 or 3 pages which you can look over if you care.

This isn't 2005 and there's no reason to believe that going forward Ichiro will be able to reverse the downward spiral that his career path has been trending. And assuming that he'll find that good old "fountain of youth" is just plain irresponsible.
    Last edited by x McLovin x; 12-13-2012 at 01:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    But if signing Ichiro prevents us from signing Martin, then we do need to compare those 2. Apparently we have a budget. So we have limited resources to allocate. So we need to judge, how best to spend the money we have. And I think if the money is similar, Martin was a more valuable asset to this team than Ichiro. I'd rather let Dickerson roam RF than have Cervelli catching if everything else is equal.
    But in the end, Ichiro generates more $$$ back to the Yankees. As they say, this is a business.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YEDB90 View Post
    I dont know about that...

Hopefully he hits as well as he did the end of the year with us...only the entire year this time.
    I hope he does as well. But these numbers from last season - while he was with the Yankees - are not exactly reassuring:

117 ABs at Yankee Stadium - .358/.380/.564

109 ABs on the road with the Yankees - .284/.318/.339

At the end of the day I think we'll get an Ichiro that is somewhere between the crappy Ichiro of the last 2 seasons with the Mariners and the good Ichiro that showed up from the last 2 months of the season in 2012. Basically a good 4th outfielder on a playoff caliber team which I would assume the Yankees are. Unless, of course, you choose to never play him on the road which will ultimately pigeon-hole him into a reserve role anyway.
    Last edited by x McLovin x; 12-13-2012 at 12:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekJeterDan View Post
    But in the end, Ichiro generates more $$$ back to the Yankees. As they say, this is a business.
    How does he do this?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekJeterDan View Post
    See my first post at the top of this page.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by x McLovin x View Post
    I hope he does as well. But these numbers from last season - while he was with the Yankees - are not exactly reassuring:

117 ABs at Yankee Stadium - .358/.380/.564

109 ABs on the road with the Yankees - .284/.318/.339

At the end of the day I think we'll get an Ichiro that is somewhere between the crappy Ichiro of the last 2 seasons with the Mariners and the good Ichiro that showed up from the last 2 months of the season in 2012. Basically a good 4th outfielder on a playoff caliber team which I would assume the Yankees are. Unless, of course, you choose to never play him on the road which will ultimately pigeon-hole him into a reserve role anyway.
    Oh, I agree with everything you're saying and I know his road numbers aren't that stellar, but if he can give us .300/.330 or so...I guess that can suffice. Not a huge fan of it, but it is what it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YEDB90 View Post
    Oh, I agree with everything you're saying and I know his road numbers aren't that stellar, but if he can give us .300/.330 or so...I guess that can suffice. Not a huge fan of it, but it is what it is.
    Yeah I can live with him hitting sometime like .285/.335/.375 or so. I would prefer this production to come from the bench/4th outfielder/reserve player role. If this production comes from him in a starting role, there must be significant upgrades in other positions. The problem is, they will be paying him like a starter (so I think they will start him) and that money he'll be making the next two seasons may inhibit the team from acquiring that player that can represent an upgrade at one of the other positions.

I am completely on board with this signing if they limit him to that bench/4th outfielder/pinch runner role OR if they start him and swing a big trade or make a major signing (don't really see many realistic FA fits out there besides...Swisher) to improve those other areas.

vCash
    Buster Olney (@Buster_ESPN) tweeted at 11:48 AM on Thu, Dec 13, 2012:

As Ichiro signs with the Yankees, he'll be turning down a two-year, $14 million offer from the Phillies.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post

As Ichiro signs with the Yankees, he'll be turning down a two-year, $14 million offer from the Phillies.
    WOW... Ichiro is the man.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post

If he turns down that 2 year offer from the Phillies to sign a 1 year offer from the Yankees I will be very, very happy.

vCash
    Thats because the yankees probably offered him 7 years

vCash
    Cash is good at what he does.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bronxbombers88 View Post
    Thats because the yankees probably offered him 7 years
    With a player option for the 8th year.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast