Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cañamin View Post
    Ahhhhhh.thanks. That makes more sense. Still a lot but the ItchMan is worth it given his marketing value.
    I'd be okay with a 2 year deal, only if the 2nd year was a team option based on performance of the first full year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NYY09 View Post
    Yeah hold on a sec while I get mad that the team resigned a player that actually performed in the post season. Get a grip people.
    You know Jorge Posada was pretty good in the playoffs his last season here. And we could use a catcher....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    You know Jorge Posada was pretty good in the playoffs his last season here. And we could use a catcher....
    Almost

Funny

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rylinkus View Post
    One of the reasons I would think AJ would be good is specifically because of the mouth.

Usually I despise these types of talents but I think this team needs something a bit more fiery to sustain them in October play.

If for nothing else, Youk and AJ (who again I'm very meh about) DO bring this to the team if they can get over the hierarchal pecking order being newbies.....

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    Either that or we could bring back Jimmy Key.

And so, a new era begins.....

vCash
    I've been too busy today. Is this fkr signed yet?
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    Two years! Wtf.
    Leo's Thought Of The Day

BREAKING NEWS: Sources tell me it's official. We stink.

vCash
    ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Webslinger View Post
    Martin provides more offense? Martin might be able to hit 15-20 home runs for you, but outside of this what kind of offense does a .200 hitter give you?
    Martin definitely isn't perfect but I just prefer him to all the other realistic possibilities. I want to make that very clear from the get go. I especially prefer signing him over Ichiro if the rumored offer we have out for Ichiro is true.

Taken from my post earlier today in the MLB forum:

I prefer not to throw out 2 seasons of sample size prior to Ichiro joining the Yankees.

Ichiro 2011: wOBA = .281; wRC+ = 79; WAR = 0.4
    Ichiro 2012: wOBA = .300; wRC+ = 90; WAR = 2.6

Martin 2011: wOBA = .324; wRC+ = 100; WAR = 3.0
    Martin 2012: wOBA = .316; wRC+ = 95; WAR = 2.2

Martin is the better hitter and player and I think that is quite obvious. Add the fact that Ichiro is way more likely to decline offensively next season than Martin purely based on their respective skillsets and current ages. PLUS Ichiro is an outfielder and Martin is a catcher and that is the big part of the argument. AND this lineup is already lefty heavy. We already have a light hitting left handed outfielder in Gardner and we're now adding a second light hitting left handed outfielder to that mix. Where will we be making up the offense lost from Swisher, Martin and Ibanez? Who is available that will help us make up for that lost offense? Unless we sign Hamiltion, which is incredibly unlikely, I don't see many viable alternatives to help stave off the drop-off in offense. Not to mention it is reasonably likely to assume that AROD, Jeter, and Teixeira are going to decline the next 2 seasons as well. Throw in the uncertainty surrounding Cano and, to a lesser extent, Granderson's contract situations (they expire at the end of 2013) and this offense has massive question marks for 2014 with no easy way to solve them.

I love Ichiro and I realize he was a huge spark plug for us down the stretch and the Yankees may as well have been sitting at home in October if not for him but that doesn't mean I think it's good to pay someone for their former glory and I don't think it's smart to give someone with his particular skillset and age that type of contract with the $189 million mandate in 2014. I think the opportunity cost of signing him must be taken into consideration when considering the lack of flexibility the team has the next two years.

I don't really have a problem with AJ Pierzynski although I can do without his bad attitude and the Yankees have placed a much higher value on character and makeup the last few years. But hey, the Yankees signed Youkilis so you never know these days. The Yankees don't want to commit to him because they don't like his defense and I don't think he'll take a one year deal after having a career year anyway. At his age I think he'll try to turn his big year into a more secure, lucrative contract so I'm not going to just automatically pencil him into our roster. And what exactly is the alternative to Pierzynski if we don't sign him? Practically nothing. A barren desert. A replacement for Ichiro, however, can be acquired rather easily.

I'm absolutely fine with the Ichiro signing as long as:
    A) He's not our starting right fielder
    AND
    B) His 2013 and, more importantly, his 2014 salary does not preclude us from making additional moves to make the team stronger for 2013 and beyond

If both of these conditions are not satisfied I think it's a poor decision to sign him.
    Last edited by x McLovin x; 12-12-2012 at 08:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by x McLovin x View Post
    Martin definitely isn't perfect but I just prefer him to all the other realistic possibilities. I want to make that very clear from the get go. I especially prefer signing him over Ichiro if the rumored offer we have out for Ichiro is true.

I prefer not to throw out 2 seasons of sample size prior to Ichiro joining the Yankees.

Martin is the better hitter and player and I think that is quite obvious. PLUS Ichiro is an outfielder and Martin is a catcher and that is the big part of the argument. AND this lineup is already lefty heavy. We already have a light hitting left handed outfielder in Gardner and we're now adding a second light hitting left handed outfielder to that mix. Where will we be making up the offense lost from Swisher, Martin and Ibanez? Who is available that will help us make up for that lost offense? Unless we sign Hamiltion, which has incredibly unlikely, I don't see many viable alternatives to help stave off the drop-off in offense. Not to mention it is reasonably likely to assume that AROD, Jeter, and Teixeira are going to decline the next 2 seasons as well. Throw in the uncertainty surrounding Cano and, to a lesser extent, Granderson's contract situations (they expire at the end of 2013) and this offense has massive question marks for 2014 with no easy way to solve them.

I love Ichiro and I realize he was a huge spark plug for us down the stretch and the Yankees may as well have been sitting at home in October if not for him but that doesn't mean I think it's good to pay someone for their former glory and I don't think it's smart to give someone with his particular skillset and age that type of contract with the $189 million mandate in 2014. I think the opportunity cost of signing him must be taken into consideration considering the lack of flexibility the team has the next two years.

I don't really have a problem with AJ Pierzynski although I can do without his bad attitude and the Yankees have placed a much higher value on character and makeup the last few years. But hey, the Yankees signed Youkilis so you never know these days. The Yankees don't want to commit to him because they don't like his defense and I don't think he'll take a one year deal after having a career year anyway. At his age I think he'll try to turn his big year into a more secure, lucrative contract so I'm not going to just automatically pencil him into our roster. And what exactly is the alternative to Pierzynski if we don't sign him? Practically nothing. A barren desert. A replacement for Ichiro, however, can be acquired rather easily.

and
    B) His 2013 and, more importantly, his 2014 salary does not preclude us from making additional moves to make the team stronger for 2013 and beyond

If these two conditions are not satisfied I think it's a poor decision to sign him.
    Boom.

vCash

Martin is the better hitter and player and I think that is quite obvious. PLUS Ichiro is an outfielder and Martin is a catcher and that is the big part of the argument. AND this lineup is already lefty heavy. We already have a light hitting left handed outfielder in Gardner and we're now adding a second light hitting left handed outfielder to that mix. Where will we be making up the offense lost from Swisher, Martin and Ibanez? Who is available that will help us make up for that lost offense? Unless we sign Hamiltion, which has incredibly unlikely, I don't see many viable alternatives to help stave off the drop-off in offense. Not to mention it is reasonably likely to assume that AROD, Jeter, and Teixeira are going to decline the next 2 seasons as well. Throw in the uncertainty surrounding Cano and, to a lesser extent, Granderson's contract situations (they expire at the end of 2013) and this offense has massive question marks for 2014 with no easy way to solve them.

I love Ichiro and I realize he was a huge spark plug for us down the stretch and the Yankees may as well have been sitting at home in October if not for him but that doesn't mean I think it's good to pay someone for their former glory and I don't think it's smart to give someone with his particular skillset and age that type of contract with the $189 million mandate in 2014. I think the opportunity cost of signing him must be taken into consideration considering the lack of flexibility the team has the next two years.

and

If these two conditions are not satisfied I think it's a poor decision to sign him.

And in regards to B, that's where my issue lies. I feel as though Ichiro and Youk are expensive for what they're likely to give. With guys like Keppinger, Reynolds, Schierholtz, and others signing cheap deals, we could have better utilized the money we were willing to spend. It seems that name value holds as much value as actual production vs. costs.

vCash
    Two years is a mistake, but whatever. Go Itchy!

vCash
    Yesterday’s rumors had*Ichiro Suzuki*and the Yankees talking about the possibility of up to a two-year contract, but it looks like it will be a one-year deal just like the others, according to Mark Feinsand of the NY Daily News.

Initial reports this offseason was that Ichiro was looking for a two-year deal, but the Yankees have been insistent on one-year deals this offseason and have not offered a single player a multi-year offer.

So far*Andy Pettitte,Mariano Rivera,*Hiroki Kuroda, and*Kevin Youkilis*have signed one-year pacts and there is a long list of players who they never had serious contract negotiations, but would have liked to have signed, because they wanted two-year contracts or longer.

Their own*Russell Martin*and*Nick Swisher*fall into the latter category. The Yankees have been resistant to multi-year offers as they try to get to a $189 million payroll by the 2014 season.

They already have roughly $75 million tied up with three players, another $9.5 million option for*Derek Jeter*and they want as much financial flexibility as possible going into next off season.

Once the Yankees land Ichiro they’ll have an all left handed hitting outfield along with*Curtis Granderson*and*Brett Gardner*so they’ll likely target a right handed hitter to compliment them.

Feinsand lists*Cody Ross,*Scott Hairston,Matt Diaz, and*Delmon Young*as possibilities, although he admits Ross and Young are long shots (they are – extreme long shots).

Source: RAB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RCSowner View Post
    I'd be okay with a 2 year deal, only if the 2nd year was a team option based on performance of the first full year.
    Probably getting 1 year deal over market value....
    Nick

vCash

Martin is the better hitter and player and I think that is quite obvious. Add the fact that Ichiro is way more likely to decline offensively next season than Martin purely based on their respective skillsets and current ages. PLUS Ichiro is an outfielder and Martin is a catcher and that is the big part of the argument. AND this lineup is already lefty heavy. We already have a light hitting left handed outfielder in Gardner and we're now adding a second light hitting left handed outfielder to that mix. Where will we be making up the offense lost from Swisher, Martin and Ibanez? Who is available that will help us make up for that lost offense? Unless we sign Hamiltion, which is incredibly unlikely, I don't see many viable alternatives to help stave off the drop-off in offense. Not to mention it is reasonably likely to assume that AROD, Jeter, and Teixeira are going to decline the next 2 seasons as well. Throw in the uncertainty surrounding Cano and, to a lesser extent, Granderson's contract situations (they expire at the end of 2013) and this offense has massive question marks for 2014 with no easy way to solve them.

I love Ichiro and I realize he was a huge spark plug for us down the stretch and the Yankees may as well have been sitting at home in October if not for him but that doesn't mean I think it's good to pay someone for their former glory and I don't think it's smart to give someone with his particular skillset and age that type of contract with the $189 million mandate in 2014. I think the opportunity cost of signing him must be taken into consideration when considering the lack of flexibility the team has the next two years.

AND

If both of these conditions are not satisfied I think it's a poor decision to sign him.
    Catcher is a more valuable position and as such, shouldn't be used to compare other players in different positions. Martin's WAR is that high because he's a catcher.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast