Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 115159606162 LastLast
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ciaban View Post
    you know this is why i am not in love with platoons, there are some guys who can be good so long as they have consistent ab's, and platoons don't always work, it seems like an obvious thing to do, oh Ethier is great vs righties bad vs lefties, gomes is great vs lefties bad vs righties, so it must work, but it doesn't always. and then you also get into match up problems.
    I've gotta agree with you, ciaban. Even though I'm comfortable with the idea that Bochy will finally settle on a decent lineup for the last half, all the tinkering and platooning in the first half can be infuriating. Granted it's more than fair at this point to say you can't argue with the results, but I think your point is valid. If you're going to tinker, make sure the players have time to settle in and develop a rhythm. The short, seemingly random stints that Bochy is so fond of in the first half has gotta be hell on players that are trying to establish a rhythm coming out of spring training.

Last, I've gotta think that this practice had some bearing on the relative performances of Crawford and Belt last year. Crawford was given pretty much free reign to settle in, find his bearings, and work through the kinks. Belt, on the other hand, well...hell it's Friday and the Niners are in the Super Bowl. Enough said.

vCash
    If Niners win, Is Belt going to drive Harbaugh's car?
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

#3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    I've wondered how the parade would work. How are they going down the parade route with 50+ players and coaches?

2010, 2012, and 2014 World Series Champions

vCash
    I'm hearing #sfgiants and Sergio Romo are closing in on deal to settle team's last possible arb case. Offer and ask price were $2.675m/$4.5m
    - Hanky Panky

vCash
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/89...placement-stat

Jim Caple's likes and dislikes on WAR. One thing that writers keep bringing up, as Caple did, is that they keep thinking pro-saber people use WAR as the end-all stat. Of those I do know that are pro-saber, I've never seen them use only WAR. I guess they don't know there are other stats that prove why Trout should've won Cabrera. He also cited a Bleacher Report article .

vCash
    http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/89...placement-stat

Jim Caple's likes and dislikes on WAR. One thing that writers keep bringing up, as Caple did, is that they keep thinking pro-saber people use WAR as the end-all stat, and nothing more. Of those I do know that are pro-saber, I've never seen them use only WAR. I guess they don't know there are other stats that prove why Trout should've won over Cabrera (which is the only stat Caple noted). He also cited a Bleacher Report article .

An excerpt that shows how Caple isn't well verse with advanced stats:

And just in case you're thinking FanGraphs must feature the more reliable WAR, bear in mind that Ricky Nolasco was 13-9 with a 5.06 ERA in 2009 while pitching just 185 innings, but FanGraphs had his WAR at 4.3 that season
    During that season Nolasco had an FIP and xFIP of 3.35, and 3.23, averaging 9.49 K/9 and 2.14 BB/9. Seems deserving of a 4.3 WAR to me.

Look all stats have their limitations. If a player has a .329 batting average, that probably means he's pretty good. But for an accurate measure of the player, we need more information. How many extra-base hits does he have? How many times does he walk? How many stolen bases? How many runs, how many RBIs? How many double plays has he hit into? The same is true for a player with 40 home runs. Does he have a .300 average to go with them, or a .230 average? Does he strike out a lot? How often does he walk?

The same approach should apply to WAR. We need to look at many stats to assess players, and one of them should be WAR. But it shouldn't be the only stat we look at or cite.
    This pisses me off.
    Last edited by SFrush90; 02-01-2013 at 06:22 PM.

vCash
    MLBN is doing its top 10 by position.

Posey is #1 C

Belt is 'on the rise' for 1b, not top 10 but could be there next year.
    "We earned this ****ing burn. It doesn’t matter how you get from A to B. Our goal at the beginning of this ****ing season is to win a ****ing World Series, and guess what, boys, we’re going to the ****ing dance." - The Reverend Hunter Pence

#3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SFrush90 View Post
    I've wondered how the parade would work. How are they going down the parade route with 50+ players and coaches?
    don't worry the ravens are winning it so we wont have to find out.

vCash
    This is the winners table. Go scurry back to the losers table with the likes of the Chiefs and the Jaguars.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    ....and the Dodgers.
    Damnit! I wanted to say that!

#3in5

<3

vCash
    http://mlb.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?co...78063&c_id=mlb

wow this was actually a year before I was a Giants fan, so I had never seen this clip. Almost brought tears to my eyes. LOL BENITEZ
    Last edited by dodgersuck; 02-02-2013 at 02:12 PM.

vCash
    chiwetel.

#3in5

<3

vCash
    Joe flacco, is that you?

I really need to get Internet, I miss this place and am tired of watching power rangers everyday with my 3 year old.

vCash
    That was my first year of college and I had no tv, no internet, and no newspaper. Wasn't able to latch back on to being a diehard until 2002.
    Yeah I was only seven at the time. I have no idea what my interests were as a 7 year old

vCash
    That was my first year of college and I had no tv, no internet, and no newspaper. Wasn't able to latch back on to being a diehard until 2002.
    that season went well lol.

Page 61 of 62 FirstFirst ... 115159606162 LastLast