Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 56 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast
    vCash
    I'd guess they'd go between 5-7 years, just not sure where they'd be on annual salary.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by d79cheese View Post
    Signing Posey to a huge AAV contract for anything less then 6 years makes little sense to the Giants right now. They would only be getting 2 years of FA years with a 5 year extension. I would assume they would want at least 4 years of FA years, that puts it at a 7 year extension right now.
    sort of, he will be 26 come opening day, lets just say they sign a 6 year deal next year, that means it he will hit free agency at 33, and unless they want to move him off being a full time catcher, it wouldn't make sense to guarantee big dollars past that point, because your risking way to much money.
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I'd venture the Giants won't go beyond 6 years.
    they shouldn't.

vCash
    Pretty much gone. Not surprising.

Brian Wilson’s tenure in San Francisco is all but over, leaving the door open for the Mets.

Giants senior vice president and general manager Brian Sabean all but confirmed that the closer would not be returning the team in 2013.

“I’m going to be brutally honest as I always am, I don’t [think Wilson will return],” Sabean said during an event in Midtown on Saturday. “In this case, where you are getting a second Tommy John…it’s the type of rehab where he’s still not further up along to judge exactly where he may be able to come back in major league fashion, let alone as a closer.”

Wilson appeared in just two games last season before undergoing Tommy John surgery. The 30-year-old closer made $8.2 million last season and the Giants non-tendered him in November, making him a free agent. The team would have had to guarantee Wilson $6.8 million in 2013 if it would have offered him a tender.

Sabean did leave slight hope that Wilson could return on a one-year, incentive laden contract.

“We spoke to [Wilson’s] agent repeatedly before we made the initial decision not to tender him a contract, to speak about, which in this case is very normal, starting with a low base and then from there building with incentives,” Sabean said.

Wilson has saved 171 games over seven seasons with the Giants, including a league-high 48 saves in 2010, when the team also won the World Series.

“It’s one of those things where it’s very difficult trying to change somebody’s mind, being [Wilson’s], in that the organization owes him, and we do owe him a debt of gratitude, but this is a tough business and we certainly have to be financially responsible,” Sabean said.

Several teams around league have expressed interest in the three-time All-Star, including the Mets. While most teams, including the Giants, would not likely be willing to offer Wilson a large guaranteed deal, he could sign on either a minor league deal or as mentioned earlier, an incentive-laden contract.

“We may be in a position to offer him a low base with some incentives, but at this time I see him more in the mindset to do that with somebody else, than coming back with us,” Sabean said.

Wilson wasn’t the only topic of discussion, and Sabean received a vote of confidence from the team.

Team president and CEO Larry Baer, who appeared alongside Sabean and Hall of Famer Willie Mays at the Westin Hotel where the New York Giants Historical Society and New York Giants Nostalgia Society were on hand, addressed the spending of the team’s NL West rivals, the Dodgers.

“I think that at the end, the dollars factor in some, but the beauty of our game and most games is that it comes down to judgment,” Baer said. “[Sabean] and his staff and [manager Bruce Bochy] and his coaching staff, we’ll put the money against their judgments any day of the week.

“We’ve put together a plan that is getting us into postseason and focusing on us having a championship caliber team,” Baer said.
    http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/mets/...a7vrpJ3OuhKM0I

2010, 2012, and 2014 World Series Champions

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I'd venture the Giants won't go beyond 6 years.
    I'd tend to agree with you.

Playoff Bochy.

vCash
    I think they gave too much to pence if I'm being honest

vCash
    ^look up 'arbitration'

GIANTSNINERSWARRIORS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EnglishSFGiant View Post
    I think they gave too much to pence if I'm being honest
    Really no choice. Either pay him that or lose him.

vCash
    Right, it's just one year...if he has another sub-par season, send him packing.

Playoff Bochy.

vCash
    Buster Olney lists the 2010 Giants as having the 8th best bullpen of all-time.

After an excellent regular season, the Giants' relievers took over the postseason. Brian Wilson didn't allowed a run in the playoffs or World Series, striking out 16 in 11 2/3 innings, and Javier Lopez and Jeremy Affeldt had big moments throughout the playoff run. Manager Bruce Bochy had a lot of weapons to use that year and he manipulated them exceptionally, as the Giants won their first World Series title in 56 years.

vCash
    Imagine 2011/2012 Romo in 2010

San Francisco Giants Trophy Wall

vCash
    2012 Bullpen wasn't that bad either.
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

vCash
    Having a good bullpen is such a key piece to winning a world series. It's impossible to go deep in the playoffs when you have guys like Benitez closing out games.

vCash
    I dread the thought of Benitez...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dodgersuck View Post
    Having a good bullpen is such a key piece to winning a world series. It's impossible to go deep in the playoffs when you have guys like Benitez closing out games.
    ...or Jose VaLOLverde

Playoff Bochy.

vCash
    Hairston 2 years 6 mil to Chicago.

We're carrying a 3rd LOOGY over Hairston
    #3in5

<3
    "[He's] a really complete player... There's not really any weaknesses to his game." - Bill Belichick on Andrew Luck
    "Vontae Davis looks like Bumgarner of the San Francisco Giants. He's throwing a no hitter out there tonight" - Jon Gruden

Page 56 of 62 FirstFirst ... 6465455565758 ... LastLast