Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

NFL approves 'Jim Schwartz rule'

The rule that cost the Detroit Lions on Thanksgiving last year has officially been changed by the NFL.

By Sean Yuille on Mar 20 2013, 1:52p

The NFL has officially changed one of its more ridiculous rules. Owners voted on Wednesday to approve a change that will now allow automatic reviews to happen even if a coach mistakenly throws the challenge flag.

This change has come to be known as the "Jim Schwartz rule" given what happened on Thanksgiving last year. The officials blew a huge call by not blowing a whistle when Houston Texans running back Justin Forsett was clearly down. Forsett ended up scoring an 81-yard touchdown, and Schwartz angrily reacted by throwing the challenge flag. Since all scoring plays are automatically reviewed, this was a penalty, and it prevented officials from reviewing the play and getting the call right. As a result, the Detroit Lions surrendered the touchdown despite the obvious blown call.

Under the altered rule, coaches will still be penalized if they throw the challenge flag on a play that is automatically reviewed. However, the penalty will not prevent officials from reviewing the call. This is what the rule should have been in the first place, as the main thing is to get the call correct. What Schwartz did on Thanksgiving was a huge mental error, but the NFL rules shouldn't have allowed for such a ridiculous thing to happen in the first place.
    http://www.prideofdetroit.com/2013/3...s-jim-schwartz

good. it's absurd this was an issue in the first place
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals 21) Reds

Thought this would have something to do with post game handshakes.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagocubsfan View Post
    Lmao same for a second.

Stupidest thing I probably saw during a live game in my life...

👑

I don't know what the opinion of Jim Schwartz will be as a coach in a few years but he will be remembered forever because of what is now 3 bizarre spots in the history books, 2 of which concern rule changes.

Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    Good amendment.
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyChamp View Post
    I don't know what the opinion of Jim Schwartz will be as a coach in a few years but he will be remembered forever because of what is now 3 bizarre spots in the history books, 2 of which concern rule changes.
    what were the other 2?
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

I still like how there was that other game (cant remember who was playing but maybe GB), but the coach did the same thing. I understand they tried to get away with it by saying the play was already under review. But again, by the NFL all scores were to be reviewed so the Houston TD should have also been under review as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Slug3 View Post
    I still like how there was that other game (cant remember who was playing but maybe GB), but the coach did the same thing. I understand they tried to get away with it by saying the play was already under review. But again, by the NFL all scores were to be reviewed so the Houston TD should have also been under review as well.
    Yeah, it was GB...a few weeks later.

JasonLaCanfora The ridiculous coach-throwing-the-flag-on-a-scoring-play rears its head again. Mike McCarthy the culprit. his still gets reviewed though
    billbarnwell So McCarthy threw the flag after a replay judge nobody can see initiated a review? That's Illuminati stuff right there.
    richeisen If Carey says play was under review before McCarthy threw challenge flag, he just afforded MM leeway not afforded Schwartz on T-Giving
    PFF_Sam The NFL rule book is so broken it's ridiculous in places. McCarthy did exactly what Schwartz did, but he was slower, so it's cool
    RobDemovsky McCarthy threw the challenge flag, which you can't do on a review, and Nelson picked it up real quick.
    2014 Adopt-A-Lion: Golden Tate

Quote Originally Posted by Slug3 View Post
    it happen a week before the texans lions game as well. arizona vs atlanta. they got that call right on the field though, which is why less of a deal was made
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals 21) Reds

Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    what were the other 2?
    The Calvin Johnson rule and the first win after 0-16.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagocubsfan View Post
    I did too

Quote Originally Posted by FortDetroit View Post
    Yeah, it was GB...a few weeks later.
    I remember that Nelson picked the flag up so fast .

Quote Originally Posted by BloodyChamp View Post
    The Calvin Johnson rule and the first win after 0-16.
    Don't forget the Titus Young touchdown that because it was ruled out of bounds on the field, couldn't be reviewed and reversed. Detroit's definitely gotten the short end of the stick on too many bogus rules over the past few years.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast