Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

vCash

Media Creates The Circus

Hey all, so after a nice win on Sunday which wasn't pretty but got the job done, and Cin and Pitts both losing, I was excited to see our playoff hopes really are not that far fetched. Since Pitt and Cin play each other once, really one of those teams needs to lose 1 game more, coupled with us winning out and we are in.

I was watching ESPN however, and nobody could stop talking about how the jets are the joke of the league. Maybe so (especially this season), but i guess my question is, why doesn't the media cut the jets more slack?

If you look at our season, should we finish 9-7, it easy to suggest we -could- have gone 11-5. We lost an overtime game to the Pats and a game to Houston which was in our hands to win. These are two teams that are considered to be the best in the league. Granted, we didn't win those games, but they were there for the taking. All this without our best offensive and our best defensive player!

I think if you look at media coverage of any other team, lets take Detroit as an example, were they minus Suh and Calvin Johnson for the season everyone would write it off as "injury plagued" and still profess them to be a good organization, heading in the right direction. Detroit, by the way, still gets more accolades with those players at 4-9.

Clearly, the jets have a QB problem. Realistically that is the only thing that separates them from the teams that are considered elite. So why is it such a joke to everyone around the league that the jets have a shot at the playoffs? If anything, shouldn't it be impressive that they have managed to play well enough to contend without Revis, Holmes and a shaky QB situation?

Why so much hate? There are plenty of teams which are worse, who don't have injury excuses, or qb excuses that don't get any of the flak we have to hear daily. I'm not saying the jets haven't made mistakes, or that they did it right this year in the off season, but shouldn't someone be giving them some credit where it is due? I guess it will have to be me.

vCash
    There are 5 basic reasons we are considered to be a circus and hated on so much:

1. Our coach talks so much and guaranteed super bowls, and our players do the same
    2. NY Media, everything is times 10
    3. We traded for Tim Tebow, the dumbest **** ever
    4. Mark Sanchez is our QB and its easy to pick at him
    5. Out fans are passionate, i'm sure all of us go pretty hard when arguing for our Jets saying how raw our squad is.

I'm in Tampa, the Bucs are a joke and nobody even mentions it. I can name many different things going on here its not funny. No Jets have legal issues and we play hard (most of the time). My motto for this year has been let the haters hate cuz that's all we can do at this point.

vCash
    That doesn't excuse the all-out hate and ridicule. It's beyond professional and I concur with Bart's media silence. Teams that have been performing with far more futility get nowhere near the level of ridicule and hate as the Jets. It shows who these folks really are - ugly and lacking confidence in themselves to worry so much about others.

vCash
    I have mentioned this very fact on numerous occasions, and unfortunately, it has been going on for a much longer time than REX's tenure, although - the last 2 years have the volume turned up as high as ever - why? I don't know, but I have a few ideas, which still don't make it fair, but might make it easier to understand.

#1 - We are, and have always been "2nd class citizens (team)" because the Giants have been a New York Team going way back in history (1928). I was a kid when it was the AFL against the NFL - and the NFL and the Giants, especially in Old Greenwich, CN - where I lived from 1966 - 1970, and I think in general - were supported by well-established New Yorkers, and suburbanites (families that had been there for several generations), and richer, more conservative people (which tend to be people that have been around for several generations - compared to new-comers - either to the tristate area, and even the USA). It all started out that the Giants were the well-established team, and the AFL, and the Jets, were upstarts, and punks. The Jets moved to Shea, which was associated with the Mets (both seen as upstarts, or usurpers), and Shea catered to Queens and Long Island - which believe it or not - just 40-50 years ago was considered "the sticks," and "the hicks," and it's where new families moved too, and this is where the Jets fan base came from.

Yes - we were glorious in 1968 - and beat the Colts, and stopped the slaughter of the AFL by the NFL after the 1st 2 Super Bowls. The Giants fans, and the rich, and conservative types HATED JOE NAMATH and the JETS because they represented everything that was new and changing and this scared the crap out of the "Establishment" - which tended to be Giants Fans.

The Giants sucked in the 60's and 70's - They went from the 1963 loss to the Bears in the NFL Championship until 1981 Wildcard Spot - The problem was - after we blew the door wide open with the 1968 World Championship, and a loss in the 1969 AFL Championship - we didn't reach the playoffs again until that same 1981 wildcard playoff game. In the strike marred 1882 season - we lost the AFC Championship Game to the friggin' Dolphins in the "Mud Bowl" and didn't get back to that game until 1998, and then 2009 and 2010 - all of which were losses.

Whereas the Giants have been to 5 Super Bowls, and won 4 from 1986 to last year. We have had a 44 year drought not even getting to the Super Bowl - losing 4 AFC Championship games.

We have had 4 Non-Football Owners, and The Giants have been owned by the Maras since the beginning. We have had 17 coaches since 1960, and the Giants have had 14 coaches since 1928.

BUT THE WORST MISTAKE WE EVER DID WAS MOVING INTO GIANTS STADIUM IN 1984 in NEW JERSEY. Even now - although we "own half" of Metlife Stadium - it's still in the Meadowlands.

This created an identity crisis for our fans, and especially our players - and, in essence, we were a 2nd class franchise - I mean, we didn't even have our own home!

Throw into our 44 year history of "futility" - no Super Bowls, let alone Championships - is that we have had a history of losing in bizarre, and ridiculous ways - AND the lack of "stars" that went on to star in the NFL Sports Media - and there are just not enough wins, not enough reasons, and not enough people to "stick up for us."

THROW INTO THAT MIX - our recent history with REX's big mouth, and huge personality, that if he had made to, or won 1 of those SBs - might be completely different - But since he/we didn't - AND he continues to talk himself, and the team up, as well as having a bunch of players talking big - WHICH RUBS PEOPLE THE WRONG WAY! It rubs me the wrong way, as that would never be my style, but I'm still a Jets Fan, and I'm not responsible for what they do, or say - but it has come at the expense of other players, and other franchises - and it was bold - but in retrospect - without "pulling it off (a championship)" - it is nothing but a bunch of empty noise.

Then - throw in the debacle of last season's end, and the locker-room fallout, and then REX saying this is his best team ever - blah blah blah.... and it makes us an easy target. Sanchez's lack of maturity - which gets totally blown out of proportion because this is New York, and we are the Jets - and we are an easy target of ridicule.

OH YEAH - and going for the Headlines with stupid moves like Tebow, and whatever - doesn't help our cause.

I have felt ridiculous watching the Jets a few times this year - and I've gotten over feeling responsibility for the teams failures, and few successes - mostly failures.

This all adds up to being easy targets for ridicule.

I don't know what it will take to change this - We have been to the playoffs more in the last 12 years than we have for our entire history - but not winning the "BIG ONE" in New York is inexcusable - apparently.

GO JETS!!!

vCash
    The Jets are similar to the Mets of baseball. Get ripped on for not doing great, but when push comes to shove, we're no worse than slightly below average really, and with Revis, Holmes, and a better QB, we'd be well above average

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CHj0dMkK6A

New Video. Isles season highlights 2011-12!

vCash
    it would be the greatest day in Jets history if they managed to sneak in to the playoffs and knocked the Texans or Pats out in the first round, I would love to see the medias reaction after all the **** they talk about us

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PanamaSmoketree View Post
    Hey all, so after a nice win on Sunday which wasn't pretty but got the job done, and Cin and Pitts both losing, I was excited to see our playoff hopes really are not that far fetched. Since Pitt and Cin play each other once, really one of those teams needs to lose 1 game more, coupled with us winning out and we are in.

I was watching ESPN however, and nobody could stop talking about how the jets are the joke of the league. Maybe so (especially this season), but i guess my question is, why doesn't the media cut the jets more slack?

If you look at our season, should we finish 9-7, it easy to suggest we -could- have gone 11-5. We lost an overtime game to the Pats and a game to Houston which was in our hands to win. These are two teams that are considered to be the best in the league. Granted, we didn't win those games, but they were there for the taking. All this without our best offensive and our best defensive player!

I think if you look at media coverage of any other team, lets take Detroit as an example, were they minus Suh and Calvin Johnson for the season everyone would write it off as "injury plagued" and still profess them to be a good organization, heading in the right direction. Detroit, by the way, still gets more accolades with those players at 4-9.

Clearly, the jets have a QB problem. Realistically that is the only thing that separates them from the teams that are considered elite. So why is it such a joke to everyone around the league that the jets have a shot at the playoffs? If anything, shouldn't it be impressive that they have managed to play well enough to contend without Revis, Holmes and a shaky QB situation?

Why so much hate? There are plenty of teams which are worse, who don't have injury excuses, or qb excuses that don't get any of the flak we have to hear daily. I'm not saying the jets haven't made mistakes, or that they did it right this year in the off season, but shouldn't someone be giving them some credit where it is due? I guess it will have to be me.
    While I agree with the sentiment, that bolded statement is completely false.

If the Bengals win that game the Steelers have to lose 1 other game, and the Bengals also have to lose to the Ravens for the Jets to make it.

If the Steelers win that game, the Jets need them to lose their other 2 games against the Cowboys and the Browns...and the odds of that happening are extremely slim.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu

vCash
    Yeah, I was wrong about the playoff scenario. Still, we have a good chance. Any chance is a good chance this late in the season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PanamaSmoketree View Post
    Yeah, I was wrong about the playoff scenario. Still, we have a good chance. Any chance is a good chance this late in the season.
    Don't get too excited, or you spew your liquids before it's appropriate to do so.

Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.
    -Sun Tzu