Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: which defense is better?

Voters
27. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2011 was better

10 37.04%
  • 2012 is better

17 62.96%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

what defense was better 2011 or 2012 niners defense?

Coming into this season are schedule was alot more daunting with alot of top scoring offenses on it. After 80 percent of the season has passed, are points per game are the same as last and the pass defense has improved over 20 yds less per game.

We rank 2nd in yds allowed overall and passing yds allowed.
    We are 3rd in run d still.

I know turnovers r down and rush d is not as stout but pass defense is better and pass rush has improved.

So are u more impressed with this years d than last or vice versa?
    I rather die a BULL, than live a COWard!!!!!!!!!!!

vCash
    2012 isn't over yet. Gonna depend on how the defense performs when it matters most. The playoffs.

Slap Hands!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DerekRE_3 View Post
    2012 isn't over yet. Gonna depend on how the defense performs when it matters most. The playoffs.

this is true, but every team we have played this season is a potential playoff opponent outside of atl. and are defense was excellent against all of them except giants. Although offense and coaching where partly to blame for the giants game

vCash
    Agree... but so far I think over this year is better, but we just haven't gotten the take aways that we got last year. If we did... we'd be 13-0 (Shut up, that's how it plays in my head!)
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcheeze View Post
    Agree... but so far I think over this year is better, but we just haven't gotten the take aways that we got last year. If we did... we'd be 13-0 (Shut up, that's how it plays in my head!)
    Yeah. Turnovers tend to be pretty random year to year. I think it says a lot about the defense that without all the turnovers they are still holding teams to about what they did last year. The run defense has had some hiccups this year though. It was pretty dominant all last year.

What's surprised me the most is the secondary. It's the exact same personnel but the pass defense has improved despite less pressure from the front 7. Chris Culliver was an absolute steal last year. He's the best corner on the team.

Slap Hands!

vCash
    Yeah. Turnovers tend to be pretty random year to year. I think it says a lot about the defense that without all the turnovers they are still holding teams to about what they did last year. The run defense has had some hiccups this year though. It was pretty dominant all last year.

What's surprised me the most is the secondary. It's the exact same personnel but the pass defense has improved despite less pressure from the front 7. Chris Culliver was an absolute steal last year. He's the best corner on the team.
    Agreed. Remember how much trash everyone talked about that pick. Seems like Baalke knows a little more than we do about draft picks lol

vCash
    2012. We were just a middle of the road average against the pass last season. This season we're top 5 defense against the pass. We were better defending the run last season, but we're still top 5 against the run this season.

vCash
    culliver has been great this yr and goldson and whitner are the hardest hitting safeties in the league .............not to mention the smith brothers have been excellent again.

Alot of people saw are schedule coming into this year and said r d wouldnt be as good or dominant but it has gotten much better overall and they rarely give up points passing or rushing.

vCash
    Takeaways not as many, running D not quite as dominant, but overall somehow we improved on last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RedandGold_35 View Post
    Takeaways not as many, running D not quite as dominant, but overall somehow we improved on last year.
    Last year we gave up 3.5 yards per rushing attempt. This year it is 3.6. It's not really a huge difference.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakers211221 View Post
    Last year we gave up 3.5 yards per rushing attempt. This year it is 3.6. It's not really a huge difference.
    Seems like there is a change tho.

vCash
    We aren't getting the turnovers. Last year we got 2.38 per game. This year we are getting 1.38 per game.

vCash
    Huh... that is interesting to know. I too thought there was a bigger difference.
    "All we care about are wins, stats are for losers" - Justin Smith
    "We're the San Francisco 49ers. We can do whatever we want" - Jim Harbaugh

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigcheeze View Post
    Huh... that is interesting to know. I too thought there was a bigger difference.
    We've given up more 100 yard rushers, but that's because we haven't got the turnovers keeping teams on the field longer plus were are doing better against the pass so teams are passing less.

vCash
    The consistency hasn't been there.

Slap Hands!

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast