Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    vCash

Jonas - Your Views On Him So Far

Now that we have actually seen him play in the NBA what are your takes on his potential and abilities? What's surprised you?

My view on him is that he looks like he is going to be what everyone was hoping Bargnani would be as a center when he first came into the league.

He has a developing low post and nice form on his jump shot. I don't think he willb become a 3pt shooter but I see him being very effective with the 17-18' jumper. Also seems more in control with his ball handling on short drives then Bargs. One thing thats surprised me is his passing, has some court awareness and knows when to pass out. Personally think he should be getting the ball more on the offensive end but it seems like with each passing game they are giving it to him less and less.

Defensively, I don't really see the defensive/rebounding juggernaut that people were hoping for. I see the potential for him to be very good in this area but not necesarily all-defensive team.

vCash
    lol, who thought Valanciunas would be an all defensive team center?

The Brilliant Plan of How to Get Andrew Wiggins in a Toronto Uniform
    Quote Originally Posted by deaner View Post
    All I'm saying is the league wants to see Toronto succeeded. An outside chance Silver could say to philly... You know... That's a great trade offer from Toronto for the first pick. It's up to you but we'd love to see wiggins in Toronto.

vCash
    I ve been impressed with him. I think he can develop into a good post player with good defence. Only problems with him now is his jump shot and getting into foul trouble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lajoie View Post
    I'm guessing you didn't follow all the threads on JV leading up to the season.

vCash
    Super happy with the kid so far. He's going to be a project and even though I preached all of that rhetoric coming into the season I won't lie and say that deep down I thought there was a chance of him competing for the ROY. With all that said, he'll need to bulk up a bit and learn some better footwork on both sides of the court. Any bigger C's are having their way with him down low but that's to be expected when he didn't play a lot of post isolation ball in the past.
    I love that he doesn't play too far outside of himself, his jumpshot looks pretty good mechanically and his defense is pretty ok to start out. He needs to learn that when you go straight up you can't walk your body into the guy as he's shooting. Just go straight up and stay still for ****'s sake.

"Juuuuuuuuuuuuust a bit outside. Wild Thing tried for the corner and missed."

vCash
    He was definitely pegged as a defensive force coming into the season.

Overall I'm really happy with him. He plays with a lot of energy, and I can see him getting better every year.
    He gets on the offensive boards, which I think is a good sign -- I think he will be a very good rebounder at both ends.
    He's better offensively than I was expecting, but defensively, I thought he'd be better. Maybe coming from Europe he's still learning the NBA style, and that will come. Along with learning to avoid fouls.
    I just pray we don't try to turn him into shooter. I'd be very happy with a great defender who plays with energy, who's efficient with good %'s on offense.

vCash
    Hakeem Valanciunas.

vCash
    I don't think we are utilizing him very well.

Like you said, I think we should be feeding him the ball in the post a lot more, good things seems to happen when we do, he either gets fouled or he gets an easy basket, too bad the coach fails to see this.

His man on man defense has been pretty bad, he obviously needs to get stronger and just overall more experience. I think he should actually be guarding opposing teams PF's for the time being, Bargs is the better option to guard C's right now.

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    the guys who compared him to Tyson Chandler.

I am happy with Jonas so far. I still don't see how he is going to be a star or superstar or anything and that is fine.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bramaca View Post
    I'm guessing you didn't follow all the threads on JV leading up to the season.
    I knew defense would be the thing he would struggle with most. I always thought his offensive game was further ahead, I did think he would be a better rebounder coming into the league but you can also factor that Bargs doesn't box out his man so its hard for Val when he's going 1 against 2 all the time.

SWAGUEZ!!!

vCash
    I think he's right in the mix when compared to the rookie seasons of today's top defensive C's.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/...bero01&y6=2009

Tyson Chandler w/ better offence.
    Raptors Franchise Checklist:
    Rebuild with young players [ ]
    Build contending team [ ]
    Host NBA All-Star Weekend [ ]
    Win Championship [ ]

vCash
    Advanced stats for defense are overrated. You can't really tell where he is compared to the other people on the defensive end.

vCash
    I agree with pretty much everything the OP said. Better offensive game than I thought (i think he should get more post-up opportunities), and knew he'd struggle with 1v1 D because of lack of strength. I did think he'd be a better rebounder though, but that may improve.
    Last edited by Sadds The Gr8; 12-10-2012 at 10:59 PM.

vCash
    he's fine. I like where he's headed, and would be glad to see him get there. He is what a big-man prospect should be. Not like other giant-sized white boys on our roster

vCash
    I'm impressed so far. He looks like he can be a piece to the puzzle. Boy, in hindsight, that draft was deeeeep. Leonard, Irving, Walker, Knight and Val (at least) all look to be very solid NBA players.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast