Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

LB Daryl Smith visits Rams

The St. Louis Rams have a special visitor on Monday, and it has nothing to do with April Fool's Day. There is nothing to laugh about in the NFC West anymore (you should pity Arizona, not laugh at them). Jaguars free agent linebacker Daryl Smith is at Rams Park on Monday for a visit.

It's no secret the Rams could use a little help at the linebacker spot, on the strongside. James Laurinaitis and Jo-Lonn Dunbar have the middle and weakside nailed down.

Smith, 31, dealt with a groin injury that limited him to just two games last season. He obviously is not a long-term answer for the Rams, but, if healthy, would give them some veteran depth, probably at a cap friendly price. In fact, it's hard to see him signing for much more than the veteran minimum given the status of the free agent market this year.

For more insight on Smith, I asked Alfie, the editor at Big Cat Country, our Jaguars blog. Here's what he told me about Smith:

Daryl Smith is a do-it-all linebacker in a 4-3 defense. He can play at all three positions and does everything well. He typically would play the weakside linebacker position for the Jaguars and is a three-down linebacker. He's excellent in coverage, can blitz if called upon, and is stout against the run. Despite his age and groin injury last season, he still has a few years left in the tank.

The Rams probably have a few free agent moves left to make, moves like this to get veteran depth at minimal prices to shore up the roster. Don't overlook these kinds of moves. Last year, the Rams ended up leaning pretty heavily on Rob Turner as a backup center. Veteran depth has a knack for finding its way into the lineup.
    http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2013/4/...h-rams-jaguars

vCash
    I would be very happy with this but HOW?!?! I gotta know!!! A cut has to be coming soon right? They just wont make the cut til they know they can sign someone?

GO METS; RAMS; ISLES; KNICKS; NOTRE DAME; UCONN!; AC Milan!

The One and Only "LEGATRON"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NDMets57 View Post
    I would be very happy with this but HOW?!?! I gotta know!!! A cut has to be coming soon right? They just wont make the cut til they know they can sign someone?
    the how is demoff the best financial guru in the NFL

Michael Wacha

5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

vCash
    how if we sign him do we have enough money to sign draft picks i heard we only have one million over the salary cap and doesnt it take like 5 million to sign the picks

vCash
    I would like this signing. Low risk/high reward. Solid numbers prior to last year. If healthy, could work.

vCash
    Well for the vet. minimum I can see it.

136-206, 66% CMP, 1,517 Yds, 7.36 Avg, 9 TD, 4 INTs, 60.9 QBR, 94.3 RTG

This man is making me question my sexuality

vCash
    I'd give him more than minimum but if he makes almost nothing I'd take it that much faster

vCash
    I would love this move. I mentioned a while back. If he's healthy he can hold it down while we groom a rookie

vCash
    http://www.stltoday.com/sports/footb...ca19091c0.html

Linebacker Daryl Smith completed his free-agent visit to the Rams on Tuesday, but no deal appears imminent. In fact, indications are that Smith may take several visits before reaching a decision.

Smith, who played his first nine seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars, would fill an obvious need for the Rams at linebacker. The team needs bodies at the position, including a starter at strongside linebacker. James Laurinaitis, Jo-Lonn Dunbar, Josh Hull, Sammy Brown and Jabara Williams are the only linebackers on the team’s current roster. And Brown and Williams have only eight games of regular-season NFL experience between them.

Smith, 31, had seven seasons with 100-plus tackles with Jacksonville and would be an instant starter in St. Louis.
    http://l3.yimg.com/bt/api/res/1.2/gRAnxGFouW5bgj4RR576xA--/YXBwaWQ9eW5ld3M7Zmk9aW5zZXQ7aD0zNDQ7cT04NTt3PTUxMg--/http://media.zenfs.com/en_us/News/Reuters/2013-04-26T015157Z_1049109136_GM1E94Q0RAB01_RTRMADP_3_NFL-DRAFT.JPG

"You have decisions to make and don't be scared to get what you want."

Les Snead

vCash
    It's Long all over again

vCash
    DAMNIT! I got my hopes up on this one.

vCash
    The St. Louis Post-Dispatch believes the Rams are still in play for free agent LB Daryl Smith.

Thanks to Chris Long's contract restructure, the Rams finally have a little bit of room under the cap. They could move on Smith or free agent S Quintin Mikell soon after the draft is over. Neither veteran has attracted any other known interest on the open market.
    roto

vCash
    I sure hope so. That would make me feel a lot better. I think I'd rather give Smith a shot without knowing who we draft though just because it sounds like Mikell and D-Stew wouldn't be a good fit side by side from what we've all posted about skillsets

vCash
    Mikell graded out as one of the top safeties, I'd take him back if we don't get a good one in the draft.

136-206, 66% CMP, 1,517 Yds, 7.36 Avg, 9 TD, 4 INTs, 60.9 QBR, 94.3 RTG

This man is making me question my sexuality

vCash
    Yes please. I mentioned Smith a while ago and still think he'd be a good fit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast