Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43

Thread: R.A Dickey

  1. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    252
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by waveone View Post
    Keep laughing clown.

    IF- you bothered looking at any of the very few posts I've made, I stated quite clearly that I did not think Grienke was worth his asking price. Greinke is not at issue IMO.

    Spoiled brats? Really? After 40 years? I have been to many, many Ranger games starting at age 6 when Frank Howard was with the team. So waiting 40 years for a legitimate contender is hardly spoiled. Waiting and supporting a team for 40 years is hardly spoiled.

    WS twice in a row nearly impossible? It is? Perhaps you overlooked the

    The 10 teams that have won back-to-back World Series such as the
    Toronto Blue Jays (1992-93), New York Yankees (1977-78), Cincinnati Reds (1975-76), New York Yankees (1961-62), Philadelphia A's (1929-1930), New York Yankees (1927-28), New York Giants (1921-22), Boston Red Sox (1915-16), Philadelphia A's (1910-11), and Chicago Cubs (1907-08).


    That would be 10 teams which is just under 30 % of the teams which comprise today's MLB.

    Do you fact check or just spew stupid?

    Then again most presumption is typically based upon arrogance or stupidity- which it appears you qualify on both accounts.

    I apologize to the other posters but I didn't know Bozo the Clown posted on these boards....


    Just wow....
    Only CC is making more money than grenkie as far as pitchers go right now, its overkill why do u think no1 could compete in the grenkie sweepstakes that is like trying to outbid the yankkes in the early to mid 2000's get real dude, the guy is right your all a little spoiled.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    3,248
    vCash
    1500
    While its disappointing we didn't get Greinke, I am not completely lost by it. This free agency class has been literally one of the worst in history. You figure off all the free agents out there, there was one front line starter in him, and then Josh Hamilton who we figure to resign.

    Greinke is getting paid way out of his pay grade basically because hes the best looking dude in prison. There are no other options this year! After seeing what the Royals gave up for Shields, I certainly don't want any part in that.

    Our best bet is to resign Hamilton, dump on the extra year and eat it. We basically ate the last year of the bad Michael Young contract, we will probably have to do the same with Hamilton, but we have no other choice. Then work on making a trade for Dickey. If that falls through, roll Darvish out as your ace, then look at Garza come the trade deadline and lock him into an extension if possible. Consider Lincecum next season if he has a bounceback year (which I will bet he does).
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

    "I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

    Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

    Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Margaritaville
    Posts
    246
    vCash
    1500
    I'm not sold on the whole Dickey trade talk. How is his knuckleball going to play out in the "homerdome?" Knuckleballers need the wind blow in their faces to make the ball to move more. If I'm correct, usually during the summer months, doesn't the wind blow in from center field and then "reflect" back out as the "jet stream" which is above he stadium? What are usually lazy flyballs turn out to be homeruns. I am not sure his groundball to fly ball ratio but it is something to think about.
    Lohse and Sanchez are some pitchers to look at. We could always go after Dempster...couldn't help myself!
    Don't take life too seriously, because you'll never get out alive.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,627
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by rangersfan View Post
    Wakefield "pitched well into [his] later years"? He didn't put up a FIP below 4.07 after the age of 35. When he did put up a solid W-L record it was because of run support, not because he pitched well.

    And don't you think hitters these days are a little smarter and more disciplined than when Niekro and Hough were pitching? How can you possibly compare contemporary hitters with hitters from a totally different era?

    And if knuckleballers were so great, how come minor and major-league pitching coaches in every organization aren't trying to introduce the pitch into the repertoire of every prospect/starter they possible can? Knuckleballers these days are novelty acts. Wakefield proved you can succeed for a little while against contemporary hitters but then they start to catch on.
    Clearly you missed my point.

    Nobody ever said Wakefield was great. He pitched well beyond the age of most pitchers, however, because of the type of pitch he threw though. It's easier on the arm and allows pitchers to prolong their careers. This has been proven. That was the point.

    As for the knuckleball not being effective against "contemporary hitters"...well, Dickey did win a Cy Young just last year against "contempory hitters" with that pitch, so I disagree with you there.

    Of course, if you'd actually read my post (and other posts in threads), you'd see that I've stated I wouldn't trust a knuckleball pitcher on a regular basis, certainly not in our ballpark. It's all good if you're locating your knuckleball, but when you do miss your spots, places like Safeco and Citi Field might keep the ball in the yard...The Ballpark will not.
    Last edited by stipe1280; 12-11-2012 at 02:31 AM.

    Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    802
    vCash
    1500
    i just don't see dickey as an ace.
    he's sported a nice era for the last 3 years, but how many ace's do you know that have only won 10 games or more twice in their career?
    he's a great story, but i think texas needs more at the head of their rotation.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    1,059
    vCash
    1500
    Wins are an awful state to judge a pitcher by, especially one who plays for a team with one of the worst offenses in the league.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    802
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramlaen View Post
    Wins are an awful state to judge a pitcher by, especially one who plays for a team with one of the worst offenses in the league.
    okay, what state/stat would you prefer i use?

    i say you are taking a big risk if you slot him in at the top of the rotation and call him the ace. don't you think you're more likey to get the guy that went 11-9 w/ a 2.84 era and 104 k or 8-13 w/ a 3.28 era and 134 k than you are the one that suddenly wins 20 with almost 100 more K than he's ever had before and wins the cy young?

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    252
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by Corked Bat View Post
    okay, what state/stat would you prefer i use?

    i say you are taking a big risk if you slot him in at the top of the rotation and call him the ace. don't you think you're more likey to get the guy that went 11-9 w/ a 2.84 era and 104 k or 8-13 w/ a 3.28 era and 134 k than you are the one that suddenly wins 20 with almost 100 more K than he's ever had before and wins the cy young?
    dude hes talking about the offense of the mets compared to the rangers, dickey will be a 15-18 game winner easy with texas, hes top 5 in QS's over the last 3 years combined. and also the SO rate went up becuase he did something different don't u think? or did it just randomly happen with the same stuff he had in 2011 and 2010, I don"t think so buddy........

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    802
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by I<3ourProspects View Post
    dude hes talking about the offense of the mets compared to the rangers, dickey will be a 15-18 game winner easy with texas, hes top 5 in QS's over the last 3 years combined. and also the SO rate went up becuase he did something different don't u think? or did it just randomly happen with the same stuff he had in 2011 and 2010, I don"t think so buddy........
    you list the top 10 pitchers in baseball (the true aces) and 10 out of 10 times dickey doesn't make that list before this winter and while he may make the list for some folks now i doubt he'd make it 10 out of 10 time.

    agree to disagree

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    1,627
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by I<3ourProspects View Post
    dude hes talking about the offense of the mets compared to the rangers, dickey will be a 15-18 game winner easy with texas, hes top 5 in QS's over the last 3 years combined. and also the SO rate went up becuase he did something different don't u think? or did it just randomly happen with the same stuff he had in 2011 and 2010, I don"t think so buddy........
    Great. Dickey was able to do some nice things at Citi Field. The Ballpark isn't like Citi Field.

    The thing with knuckleballers is that it's not easy to hit particular spots with that pitch. Now, when you miss your spot in New York, chances are the ball will still stay in the yard. In Arlington, it's bye bye birdie.

    Dickey also benefited pitching in the NL the last few years. He has zero success rate in the AL, even after learning the knuckler. He's not going to get to face the pitcher in the AL. The hitters are much better over here in the American League.

    So, say what you want about him. If he was so great, then the Mets should be doing anything and everything they could to keep him there. They're not...and for good reason.

    Who needs Josh Hamilton when you can have this for $11m?

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    51,800
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by The Ticket P1 View Post
    I'm not sold on the whole Dickey trade talk. How is his knuckleball going to play out in the "homerdome?" Knuckleballers need the wind blow in their faces to make the ball to move more. If I'm correct, usually during the summer months, doesn't the wind blow in from center field and then "reflect" back out as the "jet stream" which is above he stadium? What are usually lazy flyballs turn out to be homeruns. I am not sure his groundball to fly ball ratio but it is something to think about.
    Lohse and Sanchez are some pitchers to look at. We could always go after Dempster...couldn't help myself!
    He's been a GB pitcher the last 3 years with the Mets.

    2010: 55% GB rate, 28% FB rate
    2011: 51% GB rate, 33% FB rate
    2012: 46% GB rate, 34% FB rate

    He will do fine in Texas. Last year he got a ton of strikeouts due to the development on his high knuckler. It gets so many swings and misses.

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Queens, NY
    Posts
    51,800
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    Great. Dickey was able to do some nice things at Citi Field. The Ballpark isn't like Citi Field.

    The thing with knuckleballers is that it's not easy to hit particular spots with that pitch. Now, when you miss your spot in New York, chances are the ball will still stay in the yard. In Arlington, it's bye bye birdie.

    Dickey also benefited pitching in the NL the last few years. He has zero success rate in the AL, even after learning the knuckler. He's not going to get to face the pitcher in the AL. The hitters are much better over here in the American League.

    So, say what you want about him. If he was so great, then the Mets should be doing anything and everything they could to keep him there. They're not...and for good reason.
    Dickey actually struggles pitching against pitchers. Dickey threw a 1-hitter once against the Phillies and Cole Hamels got the only hit.

    Dickey also went right into Tampa this year and pitched a 1-hitter with 12 Ks. He will do great in the AL because he is an awesome pitcher and talent. He is a bonafide ace that goes so deep into games.

    I can see Dickey going 250 innings in the AL since he doesn't have to bat.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    542
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by stipe1280 View Post
    Great. Dickey was able to do some nice things at Citi Field. The Ballpark isn't like Citi Field.

    The thing with knuckleballers is that it's not easy to hit particular spots with that pitch. Now, when you miss your spot in New York, chances are the ball will still stay in the yard. In Arlington, it's bye bye birdie.

    Dickey also benefited pitching in the NL the last few years. He has zero success rate in the AL, even after learning the knuckler. He's not going to get to face the pitcher in the AL. The hitters are much better over here in the American League.

    So, say what you want about him. If he was so great, then the Mets should be doing anything and everything they could to keep him there. They're not...and for good reason.
    As a Met fan I'm not getting defensive about Dickey but you're off base here. The size of your ballpark doesn't matter much when batters miss as much as they do. Plus even if he gives up a few more HR's, they're likely to be solo shots. With your offense instead of the Mets pathetic offense...he'll win you a lot of games.

    So why aren't the Mets trying to keep him??? Because our owners are dead broke and we have a need to upgrade at just about every position. Scott Hairston was our best OF for crying out loud. Send us Martin and some other guys who might be ready when we are in three years and you probably have a deal.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    160
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by I<3ourProspects View Post
    Only CC is making more money than grenkie as far as pitchers go right now, its overkill why do u think no1 could compete in the grenkie sweepstakes that is like trying to outbid the yankkes in the early to mid 2000's get real dude, the guy is right your all a little spoiled.
    Um, I stay real. You and your pal ranger fan need to get a grip on yourselves. First I 'd recommend getting off of professional sports teams and their players jocks - that might help.....

    No one owes them anything.

    Spoiled??? NO ONE that is a fan of the Rangers is spoiled. 35 years of waiting for a true contender, then being passionate about them competing in FA and signing a true front line pitcher or Ace is not being spoiled.

    While it is clear the two of you are struck on stupid, it is impossible to dumb this down any further.

    Get it straight dude- if you and your pal wish to dispense with turret- style stupid retorts, you're going to get what you ask for.
    Last edited by waveone; 12-13-2012 at 06:07 PM.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Columbia, SC
    Posts
    3,248
    vCash
    1500


    FOX Sports' Jon Paul Morosi reports that the Blue Jays are "growing confident" they will acquire R.A. Dickey from the Mets.
    Meanwhile, Mike Wilner of Sportsnet 590 the FAN describes the Blue Jays as hopeful. It's not clear what the Blue Jays are offering, but J.P. Arencibia, Travis d'Arnaud and Anthony Gose have been speculated as possibilities. The Mets are in the market for outfielders and a catcher, so there could be a match here.
    2012 Texas Rangers Offseason

    "I have never used steroids. Period. I don't know how to say it any more clearly than that. Never” -Rafael Palmeiro (4 Months before testing positive for steroids)

    Texas Rangers 2010-11 American League Champions!

    Indianapolis Colts Super Bowl XLI Champions!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •