Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: wrist straps...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by draino View Post
    isnt part of the dead lift supposed to be grip strength though? thats what is great about that lift. it works forearms, lower back, traps, biceps, core, legs ...
    absolutly.
    Quote Originally Posted by FlakeyFool View Post
    Dont use them
    agree for the most part.
    --------------

my grip is very week. i do deads on back day, with the main focus on it improving my back. i dont really do deads for legs, forearms etc. i just want more thickness..

however, my grip/forearm has fallen very far behind, has well has my core.

so, i ditched them. i dont use straps, except MAYBE, occasionaly on my last set of deads, or my first heavy sets of db rows.

besides that, i quite using straps or a belt. ive had to go ALOT lighter, but its increasing steadily.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jlohm1 View Post
    i got a cheap pair on bb.com a while back, but I don't use them very much. I only use them for shrugs, dumbell rows, and if I'm doing pullups late into a workout I might use them. I don't use them for kipping pullups though.

I think chalk is way better than straps. i use chalk on everything.
    I know it's just your opinion, but I have to disagree. As Rawz mentioned, straps will help you add on more weight to dead or shrug. Your grip strength will give way long before your back or traps do.
    You Too Can Achieve This When You Visit The Fitness Forum!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Stamina View Post
    I know it's just your opinion, but I have to disagree. As Rawz mentioned, straps will help you add on more weight to dead or shrug. Your grip strength will give way long before your back or traps do.
    yea I know this is a topic that we disagree about. I still feel that chalk is more effective than straps. that's just my personal experience though.

vCash
    Straps can be beneficial for any pull exercises

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ugottabjoshinme View Post
    ive used straps in the past for deadlifts. I now use mixed grip and can lift as much as I could with straps so my grip isnt the limiting factor anymore.
    That doesn't mess with ur bi's? I remember trying mixed grip, felt like my bi was gOnna tear. Maybe bad form on my part
    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

vCash
    Yea I know my grip strength will suffer, but at this point I'm willing to make that sacrifice. I've seen no improvement in both exercises for a while die to my grip, it was getting too frustrating. Maybe I'll do what some of u guys are doing and only use the straps for the more heavier sets. It did def help me up my reps on the lighter ones
    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    That doesn't mess with ur bi's? I remember trying mixed grip, felt like my bi was gOnna tear. Maybe bad form on my part
    No I havent had any problem. If it was double underhand I would be more concerned. I rotate the underhand hand every set

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    There is a pretty big chance of tearing the bicep i going heavy and using an underhand grip. I go double overhand all the time.

vCash
    There is a pretty big chance of tearing the bicep i going heavy and using an underhand grip. I go double overhand all the time.
    False

vCash
    when I deadlift or shrug I do this: http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...0Nkft7HajhBanA

vCash
    I always go double overhand

New York Yankees

Dallas Mavericks

New Jersey Devils
    Seattle Seahawks
    HW: Brock "The White Gorilla"Lesnar
    MW: Lyoto "The Dragon" Machida
    WW: Jonny "BIGG RIGG" hendricks
    LW: Nate Diaz
    FLW: John "The Magician" Dodson
    Dale Earnhardt Jr.
    Favorite Athletes: Dirk Nowitzki, Brock Lesnar & Lyoto Machida

vCash
    I used the straps for the first time today on my back day and I probably got my best work out. I used them for heavy sets so that I still used my forearms. I didn't get a new max in deads but i did 295 8 times compared to 3. My BB shrugs went up to 335x 8 and my shrug rack went up to 405x12 for two sets. was also able to do DB shrugs with 95x12

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BKdoubleStacker View Post
    False
    Explain please....

vCash
    Explain please....
    You arent going to tear your bicep as long as your arms are stout and straight. Bicep tears can be a product of bad mechanics, weak/injured muscle, improper warm ups.

They happen very rarely, so I wouldnt worry about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebirth67 View Post
    I used the straps for the first time today on my back day and I probably got my best work out. I used them for heavy sets so that I still used my forearms. I didn't get a new max in deads but i did 295 8 times compared to 3. My BB shrugs went up to 335x 8 and my shrug rack went up to 405x12 for two sets. was also able to do DB shrugs with 95x12
    Straps neglect your forearms, you aren't using them

As a powerlifter I don't even touch straps. Maybe if I'm plateauing and wanna see if I can reach a sick dead, but in the end it doesn't count. Straps are illegal in competition

Just ditch straps

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast