Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Don Barclay

vCash
    Crazed fandom says "Barclay > Bulaga, 2013-14"

Good-will says "Hell yeah, the UFA contributes"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dcup View Post
    Seriously?

Maybe because our best OL player went down with a season ending injury, another starter was playing this position and Barclay is better than the other starter at that position.

The only way I see him sticking with the OL as a starter next year is if he can play center. I thought I read somewhere that he played multiple positions at WVU. Can someone confirm?
    looks like his career was strictly at tackle, he'd be pretty tall for a center imo

http://www.wvusports.com/profile.cfm?id=101464

vCash
    Seriously?

Maybe because our best OL player went down with a season ending injury, another starter was playing this position and Barclay is better than the other starter at that position.

The only way I see him sticking with the OL as a starter next year is if he can play center. I thought I read somewhere that he played multiple positions at WVU. Can someone confirm?
    Can't find anything.

All I see is three year starter at LT.

Who cares if he doesn't start. Great backup to have.

Unleash the beast.

Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    vCash
    Great backup to have indeed...or extra lineman to protect Rodgers in certain packages and also running.

A little off topic here, but who the hell is Dujuan Harris and did we sign him to our PS or did we get him from someone elses?

That fool was running HARD last night...loved it.

The first carry of the game he freaking turned upfield, squared his shoulders around and straight blasted the safety. Haven't see that since Starks in '10.
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

vCash
    Great backup to have indeed...or extra lineman to protect Rodgers in certain packages and also running.

A little off topic here, but who the hell is Dujuan Harris and did we sign him to our PS or did we get him from someone elses?

That fool was running HARD last night...loved it.

The first carry of the game he freaking turned upfield, squared his shoulders around and straight blasted the safety. Haven't see that since Starks in '10.
    We put him on the PS a while ago and he's been up active since last week I believe.

I said right away when we put him on the PS I didn't know why he wasn't active over that White character, just because I actually knew about him a bit lol. Anyways......yeah every carry he had a nice look to him.

Maybe he can be a big surprise guy for us. He's playing like his life is on the line. GOtta love that.

Unleash the beast.

Dcup is offline In loving memory..Hawkeye
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    We put him on the PS a while ago and he's been up active since last week I believe.

I said right away when we put him on the PS I didn't know why he wasn't active over that White character, just because I actually knew about him a bit lol. Anyways......yeah every carry he had a nice look to him.

Maybe he can be a big surprise guy for us. He's playing like his life is on the line. GOtta love that.
    Not to mention, did you hear what Rodgers said about him after the game?
    If I facepalmed any harder I would have cracked my own skull.

vCash
    This guys got a lot of Mark Tauscher in him. Fearless, intense, and strong run blocker this might be a big boost if he keeps his play up we may see Bulaga move to the left side. Big if right now though.

vCash
    the over reactions to this kid are now ridiculous

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tram0n man View Post
    the over reactions to this kid are now ridiculous
    do you ever actually read the posts in these threads or do you just come in here and throw out a negative comment?

I haven't seen anyone say he was an pro-bowler or rookie of the year candidate but, they are saying for an UDFA he has came in and play better than what their expectations were. its not unheard of for an UDFA to produce and its nice to see Barclay come in and step up when we need him.
    HaHa Clinton-Dix

Solo Tackles: 63
    Assist Tackles: 27
    Sacks: 1
    Pass Deflects: 6
    Ints:1
    TDs:

vCash
    Not to mention, did you hear what Rodgers said about him after the game?
    I did not.

Unleash the beast.

vCash
    Barclay played very well last night. He stopped Suh for the most part and required hardly any help. We only gave up two sacks to one of the fiercest d lines in football. And I think by Barclay holding his own everyone else could focus on what they had to do. Personally I am not sure if Newhouse is the LT of the future, he seems at times lost and just gets blown away. Hopefully he can get better and keep working hard. Barclay better get ready for Sunday, Suh last night and you know Peppers is going to work on him all game!!

vCash
    I figured out a few reasons why our run game is working. Anecdotal evidence points to the fact that this is because of Barclay. And the real evidence supports the same.

Bulaga at RT = no running game
    Lang at RT = no running game
    Barclay at RT = Running Game!

So why is that? Is Barclay heads over heels better at Run Blocking than the other two. He probably is... but only by a small margin. It's not that simple.

The real margin is the extra man. When did Lang or Bulaga ever bust out a RB's for a quality run? When they were using the jumbo package. EDS would line up as TE (he was Tackle Eligible; as was Van Roten last night when he took over as the 6th lineman).

So you think I'm saying that Van Roten played 25 offensive snaps last night? Well he played three. So where is this hidden 3rd man Mr. Houdini? Well I'm not the Houdini.. McCarthy is. And it's Barclay's perceived weakness (and Lang's too... he started it). It's because the RT has been getting help since Bulaga isn't holding down the fort... the 3rd man is usually nearby and their names are well known... Kuhn, Crabtree, Green (Did you see I left out Finley who missed his block and almost got Green killed when he was met with two guys in the backfield?). These guys are being kept in for pass protection. So unlike when they bring in a Tackle Eligible guy to run the jumbo package... it's a surprise when the Packers have the ball. And the secret to the trick is the scenario is that the formations are likely similar enough that is it surprising (the Packers are running the ball???) enough that the Packers are getting 1 on 1 scenarios with defenders. Especially with everyone playing a deep Cover 2 on us all day. I saw EDS pull last night on at least one run (the TD run by Harris).. likely he did it a couple of times enhancing the run game even further. Say what you want about EDS being undersized... but it does help him get around quicker and the guys he ends up blocking as a pulling guard are usually smaller than him.

So why is the running game working better than we've seen since the other guy named Green... the all-time leading rusher for the Green Bay Packers. The sometimes hidden third man.
    Last edited by vbjunkie; 12-10-2012 at 06:50 PM.

Graham Harrell #6 QB
    2 Comp. 3 ATT 20 Yards 0 TDs 4 Rush -3 Yards 0 TD 1 Fumble 0 INT

Jumped on the Bandwagon in 1969

vCash
    Maybe MM has been putting more of an emphasis on the run game that they spend more time practicing on it then they have in the past. Just another thing to think about.

There you go thumper

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBigCheese21 View Post
    Maybe MM has been putting more of an emphasis on the run game that they spend more time practicing on it then they have in the past. Just another thing to think about.
    Very good point. WHICH would make sense since he's probably worried about protection so they really want to get the run game going to offset that.

Unleash the beast.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    Very good point. WHICH would make sense since he's probably worried about protection so they really want to get the run game going to offset that.
    So i guess in a way im happy there have been injuries lol. Too bad it took losing Bulaga and Lang in order for MM to want to put more of an emphasis on the run game. The run blocking has been more well executed from what i saw which means its been focused/practiced a lot more. Hopefully he will continue that even when we have everyone back. It's nice to actually have a run game. I don't see defenses going away from the cover two deep anytime soon so we are going to have to run it and throw in some slants as well.

There you go thumper

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast