Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 17
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,560
    vCash
    1500

    Vikings punter Chris Kluwe campaigns for Ray Guy via uniform Post-It note

    Minnesota Vikings punter Chris Kluwe is known for being outspoken. He has been a vocal proponent of gay rights, and he often uses his Twitter account to stump for important causes.
    During the Vikings 21-14 win over the Bears, Kluwe used his uniform to push for another matter close to his heart. Kluwe covered up the Hall of Fame 50th Anniversary patch on his uniform with a simple message written on a Post-It note. "Vote Ray Guy."

    Kluwe wants to see Guy become the first punter in the Hall of Fame. His numbers support his election. Over 14 seasons, Guy averaged 42.4 yards per punt. He was in the top five of the leagues' punters for his entire career. His longest punt was 77 yards.
    But the Hall of Fame voters don't often honor players whose only impact was on special teams. Guy told Yahoo! Sports that his absence in Canton can be blamed on voters not understanding what punters do for a team.
    As a punter, Kluwe understands what his position does for his team. The likelihood of a fine for putting a personal message on a uniform didn't stop Kluwe. It would be nice if the Hall of Fame voters would show the same guts.
    http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-sh...4666--nfl.html

    I didn't know that special teams players couldn't get in. Would that mean that Devin Hester shouldn't get in? This rule is stupid and needs to be changed asap.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Posts
    87,099
    vCash
    1777
    It's not a rule. ST can get in.

    Guy should be in. So should Tasker.

    Hester should one day as well.

    Best punter of all time. Best gunner of all time. best returner of all time. It's dumb they aren't.

    Especially Tasker. Guy was literally an amazing "football" player.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    8,164
    vCash
    1500
    It's not that they can't get in. Players don't get the respect because they are solely ST. It is BS, Punting kicking and returning are keys to a game and a teams season.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    1,560
    vCash
    1500
    Read it wrong, my bad.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    15,335
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    It's not a rule. ST can get in.

    Guy should be in. So should Tasker.

    Hester should one day as well.

    Best punter of all time. Best gunner of all time. best returner of all time. It's dumb they aren't.

    Especially Tasker. Guy was literally an amazing "football" player.
    Was Ray Guy really the greatest punter of all time? I never watched him play, but he averaged less yards per punt than Tom Tupa did. Were his kicks essentially unreturnable due to their height or something? Even then, Thomas Morstead this year is averaging 44.8 net yards per punt...Guy definitely revolutionized the position, and I definitely think he should be in the Hall for that, but "greatest punter of all time" seems unlikely.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Port of Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    2,399
    vCash
    1500
    The hall of fame needs to let 10-20 people in one year instead of 5 so they can clear the traffic jam that is the current situation.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Posts
    87,099
    vCash
    1777
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymfan87 View Post
    Was Ray Guy really the greatest punter of all time? I never watched him play, but he averaged less yards per punt than Tom Tupa did. Were his kicks essentially unreturnable due to their height or something? Even then, Thomas Morstead this year is averaging 44.8 net yards per punt...Guy definitely revolutionized the position, and I definitely think he should be in the Hall for that, but "greatest punter of all time" seems unlikely.
    I'm not going to pretend I've studied Ray Guy. I've never seen him play.

    That being said.

    Look at this

    Yds/Punt
    1973 NFL 45.3 (2)
    1974 NFL 42.2 (1)
    1975 NFL 43.8 (1)
    1976 NFL 41.6 (4)
    1977 NFL 43.3 (1)
    1978 NFL 42.7 (2)
    1979 NFL 42.6 (3)
    1980 NFL 43.6 (3)
    1981 NFL 43.7 (2)
    1983 NFL 42.8 (5)

    Nobody could do that now. The game changes and affects that. I think that's part of it. It's not all about yardage either. When they talk of him, the people that know, it feels unquestionable.

    When I sat GOAT I also don't mean against now necessarily. Like if I say Jim Brown is the GOAT RB most people would agree but AP is probably better all things being equal.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Posts
    37,073
    vCash
    500
    Chris Kluwe is my favorite non-Bear in the NFL. That **** was hilarious (and Ray Guy should be in).


  9. #9
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    4,180
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    I'm not going to pretend I've studied Ray Guy. I've never seen him play.

    That being said.

    Look at this

    Yds/Punt
    1973 NFL 45.3 (2)
    1974 NFL 42.2 (1)
    1975 NFL 43.8 (1)
    1976 NFL 41.6 (4)
    1977 NFL 43.3 (1)
    1978 NFL 42.7 (2)
    1979 NFL 42.6 (3)
    1980 NFL 43.6 (3)
    1981 NFL 43.7 (2)
    1983 NFL 42.8 (5)

    Nobody could do that now. The game changes and affects that. I think that's part of it. It's not all about yardage either. When they talk of him, the people that know, it feels unquestionable.

    When I sat GOAT I also don't mean against now necessarily. Like if I say Jim Brown is the GOAT RB most people would agree but AP is probably better all things being equal.
    From what I know about him, it wasn't just his yards (which were pretty great) but his hang time that made him awesome. He was consistently getting 5+ second punts that made it really easy for the punt team to get down and surround the return man.

    He was the best punter ever and totally changed the way people looked at punters. He should be voted in

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Jordan
    Posts
    34,068
    vCash
    1500
    He should get a fine for that.

    Chicago Bears #23
    Kyle "Cheetah" Fuller

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    10,875
    vCash
    1500
    put him in

    Michael Wacha

    5-5, 2.79 Era, 83 So, 1.12 Whip

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    43,579
    vCash
    500
    Dirty player, using Post-It's and all. Jared Allen probably made him do it.
    To some, he was just a boy. A boy who played football, a football player that grew to be a man. A man that took over a city, a city that he made his own, a city that stands behind him in hopes of becoming one of that cities all-time greats. To some, 2013 was a fluke. To some, he can't do it again. To some, he got lucky.

    To us though, to the Philly faithful, that QB is Nick Foles. To us, that's our QB.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    52,937
    vCash
    1500
    he's right. ray guy should be in
    30 Team Stadium Checklist: 10 to go

    1) Yankees 2) Orioles 3) Rays 4) Red Sox 5) Mets 6) Braves 7) Phillies 8) Nationals 9) Marlins 10) Pirates 11) Padres 12) Astros 13) Mariners 14) Twins 15) Cubs 16) White Sox 17) Cardinals 18) Indians 19) Tigers 20) Royals

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Posts
    87,099
    vCash
    1777
    Quote Originally Posted by {Ron!n} View Post
    He should get a fine for that.
    First thing I thought. I'm sure he will and he knew that.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    15,335
    vCash
    1500
    Quote Originally Posted by NormSizedMidget View Post
    I'm not going to pretend I've studied Ray Guy. I've never seen him play.

    That being said.

    Look at this

    Yds/Punt
    1973 NFL 45.3 (2)
    1974 NFL 42.2 (1)
    1975 NFL 43.8 (1)
    1976 NFL 41.6 (4)
    1977 NFL 43.3 (1)
    1978 NFL 42.7 (2)
    1979 NFL 42.6 (3)
    1980 NFL 43.6 (3)
    1981 NFL 43.7 (2)
    1983 NFL 42.8 (5)

    Nobody could do that now. The game changes and affects that. I think that's part of it. It's not all about yardage either. When they talk of him, the people that know, it feels unquestionable.

    When I sat GOAT I also don't mean against now necessarily. Like if I say Jim Brown is the GOAT RB most people would agree but AP is probably better all things being equal.
    Since 2003, Lechler has ranked 1st, 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, 2nd, 1st, and 10th (this year) in yards per punt.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •