Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Vikings' patience with Chris Kluwe appears to be wearing thin

Vikings' patience with Chris Kluwe appears to be wearing thin
    Updated: December 13th, 2012 4:10pm
    by Judd Zulgad
    1500ESPN.com

EDEN PRAIRIE, Minn. -- NFL executives weren't the only ones who failed to find anything amusing with Chris Kluwe's decision last Sunday to cover a Hall of Fame patch on his jersey with a makeshift "Vote for Ray Guy" message.

A day after it was learned the Minnesota Vikings punter had been fined $5,250 by the league for his uniform violation, special teams coordinator Mike Priefer expressed his disappointment with Kluwe.

"I don't even walk to talk about that," Priefer said Thursday when asked about Kluwe. "Those distractions are getting old for me to be quite honest with you. Do I think Ray Guy deserves to be in the Hall of Fame? Absolutely. But there's other ways of going about doing it in my opinion."

Priefer's reaction was interesting because he's normally very good-natured during his weekly chat with the media each Thursday.

Kluwe clearly has tried Priefer's patience.

Earlier this season, Priefer had to answer questions for several weeks about how Kluwe's outspoken support against the proposed constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage might be impacting his performance on the football field.

"It's getting old," Priefer said. "He's got to focus on punting and holding."

Kluwe will be entering the final season of a seven-year contract in 2013 and is due to make $1.4 million. However, if the Vikings' level of frustration is high enough with Kluwe, it wouldn't be out of the question that they could let him go and look elsewhere for a punter.

Kluwe found himself in trouble this week after his latest decision to protest the fact no punters are in the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton, Ohio.

Guy led the NFL in punting three times and averaged 42.4 yards (33.8 net) during a career that began in Oakland in 1973 and ended in 1986. He was named to the AFC Pro Bowl team seven times and was selected as the punter on the NFL's 75th anniversary team in 1994.

Kluwe said when he saw the patch on his jersey celebrating the Hall of Fame's 50th anniversary last Sunday morning he decided he would alter it by using athletic tape.

"For me it's hard to support a Hall of Fame that doesn't recognize punters," Kluwe said after the Vikings beat the Bears. "If you took a kid into the Hall of Fame and that was the only thing they knew about football, they would have no idea that punters even played the game. Why am I going to support a Hall of Fame that does that? So, vote Ray Guy."

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said Thursday that he has met with Kluwe at times this season to discuss the punter's focus, or lack of it. Frazier said Kluwe has assured him that his focus this week is on Sunday's game against the St. Louis Rams.

Kluwe is 22nd in the NFL with an average of 39.6 yards per punt; his net average is the same as his gross and ranks 16th in the league.

"I think it's important for all of our players to concentrate on what we're trying to get done," Frazier said Thursday. "There's nothing bigger than this game against St. Louis this week, and I'm sure Chris' focus is where it should be. He knows he has to focus on the Rams, just like all our other players do. That's where all of our focus has to be."

Priefer, meanwhile, made it clear he hadn't had any long conversations with Kluwe about the situation.

"No, he don't listen," Priefer said.

http://www.1500espn.com/sportswire/V...ing_thin121312

vCash
    I've always been a huge fan of Kluwe but his punting skills do leave a lot to be desired. It'll be weird if we have a new punter next season.

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    Hell just let him go, 22nd in the league? We can do better than that, let's get someone in here that actually wan'ts to punt and not be a political figure.

vCash
    @ChrisWarcraft: Unfortunately I now appear to be stuck and cannot move my legs. I might be downgraded to questionable for the game Sunday. Please send help.

@ChrisWarcraft: I want you all to know that I just meditated for 5 hours in the lotus position, solely contemplating football. I feel spiritually cleansed.

lol

I cant wait to stand on the podium with Zygi and Mark and Jonathan, and were standing on the podium, and we look up and the confetti is falling down on top of us, and were all hand in hand, and Commissioner Goodell comes over and hands the Super Bowl trophy to Mr. Wilf and tells him hes world champion, that is my goal and that is my drive.
    - Mike Zimmer

vCash
    So the coaches say they are done with his crap, and then he tweets those two tweets... Bye Bye Kluwe.

vCash
    I like Kluwe, he's not afraid to speak his mind and stand up for what he believes in. That's how this country should work. His punting hasn't been great, so he will probably be gone at the end of the season, but he doesn't care, because in the end it is just a game.
    [Minnesota Vikings] - [Chicago White Sox] - [Purdue Boilermakers]

vCash
    It is actually a job to them. He gets paid to kick the ball. I am alright with him speaking his mind but sometimes he has to shut it. Also he needs to listen to the coaches and not make fun of them.

vCash
    We let Moss go for his attitude so I dont see a Punter staying with some of the stuff he pulls...Like his political beliefs or not these multi-multi-multi million dollar franchises dont like polarity and opinionated players like him on a team, when the face of a franchise can be effected esp when the country is relatively 50/50 on its political views..Birk was just as dumb as Kluwe for stating his opposition to gay rights. Its still a job you are getting paid for and aren't a god or a politician just play fricken football.

vCash
    never liked kluge he is a below average punter period

vCash
    kluwe!!! damn autocorrect

vCash
    The big thing with Kluwe is that he's been very inconsistent this year. There are punts where he just booms it for like 60 yards, then there are terrible shanks, which have been happening more and more frequently this year. It didn't take much for us to get rid of Longwell, and Kluwe is probably going to be next unless he tuns it around. He kicked *** last week though, lets hop he does again this Sunday.

I think his attitude is being a bit overblown. If the team is going to cut him because of his performance, he could be as quiet and well behaved as a church mouse, its not going to change anything. He can either get it done or he can't and we need somebody new.

Vikings Roster thread
    http://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sho...d.php?t=718220

WE TRUST V4LB!!! HE IS THE GREATEST GUY IN OUR FOURM.
    WITHOUT HIM OUR FOURM WOULDNT BE EXCITING.
    HE GETS ALL THE WOMEN!!!!
    HE IS NEVER WRONG!!!
    WE TRIED TO VOTE FOR HIM FOR PRESIDENT BUT HE IS SO GREAT THAT HE WOULDNT RUN FOR OFFICE

vCash
    I have a feeling this just might be his last season with the Vikings....

vCash
    I think Kluwe's punting is fine. It's refreshing to have someone like him in the NFL. He stands up for what he believes. It takes balls for someone to take a stand for something that isn't what everybody else wants. Heard him on the Stephanie Miller show. He's very intellegent. He's got a future in politics. Could be another cool Minnesota govenor.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sota4Ever View Post
    So the coaches say they are done with his crap, and then he tweets those two tweets... Bye Bye Kluwe.
    thank you... at least one person sees that only a flippant d-bag would tweet that after the article that came out this week.

i would cut him today... immediately. i dont care how funny he is... he is paid to kick punts for the vikings... and he has been sucking at that. the fact that he would make light of his lack of focus (and subsequent performance) is down right insubordinate. go shank punts for the packers you tool.

"I yam sofa king we todd did" - Musgrave

WISH LIST:

Win a SB before I die.

The enemies gate is down

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by wrizzo View Post
    thank you... at least one person sees that only a flippant d-bag would tweet that after the article that came out this week.

i would cut him today... immediately. i dont care how funny he is... he is paid to kick punts for the vikings... and he has been sucking at that. the fact that he would make light of his lack of focus (and subsequent performance) is down right insubordinate. go shank punts for the packers you tool.
    Yeah hes basically daring them to can his *** after those tweets. He ranks out to be one of the worst punters in the NFL this year so he probably should listen to his coaches if he wants to keep his job. I am sure all of the coaches overlooked his antics when he was punting at a probowl level but that's definitely not the case this year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast