Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

View Poll Results: Who wins this hypothetical matchup?

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pretty Boy Floyd, aka Money

5 45.45%
  • Sergio Maravilla Martinez

6 54.55%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    vCash

Question The Hypotheticals: Money Mayweather vs Maravilla Martinez

From time to time I will make a thread on a hypothetical fight and we can discuss how we feel it would go. First is Mara vs Money. Who wins, at what weight, and why? I will come back and post my thoughts later since football is starting soon, but wanted to get this rolling.

Barry Lamar Bonds. .393/.967/1.054....on 3-0 counts.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

Boxing Fan? Come Discuss Boxing!

vCash
    At 154? I'd go with Maravilla. Cotto gave Floyd trouble there, and Maravilla is faster and bigger than Cotto.

vCash
    At 154 I would favor Sergio. Anywhere else I would favor Floyd.

vCash
    Yeah Martinez is too big, only way Floyd has a chance is if he Ed martinezbto dry out to the point he can't recover.

vCash
    I'd give Floyd the advantage, but it'll be a close fight. But that won't happen anytime soon. Floyd will only fight Sergio once he slows down a bit.

vCash
    I wont happen. Floyd only fights smaller guys or washed up fighers.

Maravilla would win by decision.

"Killer Instinct"

vCash
    Martinez has both hands down most of the fight. I'd take Floyd just for that
    The Autumn Wind is a Raider

vCash
    you guys really think floyd would take this fight?

vCash
    Not a chance.

It's he same thing as Martinez trying to move up to fight ward, just to much size difference.

Floyd doesn't take chances anymore. People forget, at a time when the welterweight division was stacked with undefeated fighters in there prime, he fought nne of them, and "retired."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tnewkirk View Post
    you guys really think floyd would take this fight?
    Never. Why would he?

He can fight someone like Guerrero and still make millions while having a better chance of winning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AddiX View Post
    Not a chance.

It's he same thing as Martinez trying to move up to fight ward, just to much size difference.

Floyd doesn't take chances anymore. People forget, at a time when the welterweight division was stacked with undefeated fighters in there prime, he fought nne of them, and "retired."
    I mean he took on Judah and Baldomir. He had to take Baldomir on after he took Juadah's titles. But I agree, he didn't fight those young undefeated guys at WW while they were still coming up/just entering their primes.

But you can't really blame the guy, most of those fighters you're probably thinking of---i.e.: Punisher Williams, Tony Margarito, Cotto, etc- weren't big draws and he wasn't going to see a paycheck even remotely close to that which he saw in the Delahoya fight.

To Me the fight against Oscar was the watershed moment in Floyd's career where he stopped wiping out divisions and calling out the best fighter's and instead puts all his focus on which fights can generate him the most money.

But this guy was a VERY small WW for the majority of his time at the division. he probably should've did more work at the Junior WW division, but it didn't look like Kosta wanted anything to do with him.

FLoyd did wipe out the 130 and 135 divisions with ease. He kept calling out Kosta, Shane, Casamayor, and none of those guys seemed too keen to accept his challenge for whatever reason.

I just think there's a bad misnomer that Floyd is scared of certain fighters in and around his weight class. I think all he really cares about is the money he sees per fight, and I think that's the paradigm he's followed since 2007. I don't think he'd get in the ring against a Middleweight at this point in his career, and he shouldn't have to. He's a 147 pound fighter.
    Last edited by Dankster; 12-11-2012 at 04:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dankster View Post
    I mean he took on Judah and Baldomir. He had to take Baldomir on after he took Juadah's titles. But I agree, he didn't fight those young undefeated guys at WW while they were still coming up/just entering their primes.

But you can't really blame the guy, most of those fighters you're probably thinking of---i.e.: Punisher Williams, Tony Margarito, Cotto, etc- weren't big draws and he wasn't going to see a paycheck even remotely close to that which he saw in the Delahoya fight.

To Me the fight against Oscar was the watershed moment in Floyd's career where he stopped wiping out divisions and calling out the best fighter's and instead puts all his focus on which fights can generate him the most money.

But this guy was a VERY small WW for the majority of his time at the division. he probably should've did more work at the Junior WW division, but it didn't look like Kosta wanted anything to do with him.

FLoyd did wipe out the 130 and 135 divisions with ease. He kept calling out Kosta, Shane, Casamayor, and none of those guys seemed too keen to accept his challenge for whatever reason.

I just think there's a bad misnomer that Floyd is scared of certain fighters in and around his weight class. I think all he really cares about is the money he sees per fight, and I think that's the paradigm he's followed since 2007. I don't think he'd get in the ring against a Middleweight at this point in his career, and he shouldn't have to. He's a 147 pound fighter.
    All those fighters were probably bigger draws than Hatton. People surely would've loved to see him fight anyone of those guys over Hatton at the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Unbelievable650 View Post
    Martinez has both hands down most of the fight. I'd take Floyd just for that
    Floyd will punish Mara for any mistakes. I don't think Martinez can outsmart him. He would have to try and knock him out early.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    Never. Why would he?

He can fight someone like Guerrero and still make millions while having a better chance of winning.
    Because Floyd isn't afraid to fight the best to prove that he still is the best. Martinez is a more credible opponent than Guerrero, but I would pay to watch both. THe only issue with this fight is the weight really, if it were more manageable this would have already happened or about to happen in the near future.
    Quote Originally Posted by LA_Raiders View Post
    I wont happen. Manny only fights bigger weight drained guys or washed up fighers.

Maravilla would win by decision.
    Fixed.
    Quote Originally Posted by zn23 View Post
    At 154 I would favor Sergio. Anywhere else I would favor Floyd.
    I give Mara the best chance of winning at 154 but I don't favor him anywhere yet. I think Maravilla can beat him but it would take a mistake from Floyd, and those are few and far between, he is just so technically sound and brilliant. But Mara has the power and the skill to do it, it's just a matter of being able to crowd and damage Floyd before he can adjust and outsmart him back. Floyd would get touched up no doubt about it, just like with Cotto, even earlier, but Floyd is a defensive master and a tactician, and knows how to identify and exploit weaknesses quickly and effectively.

It would really depend on how Sergio comes out in the first 3 rounds. If he can set the tone, take control of the ring as best he can, and surprise Floyd early and maintain a high work rate he has a strong chance, but every inch you give Floyd he will take, and Floyd has so many tools of his own. He may well win the first 3 rounds with straight rights and a few jabs if you let him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    All those fighters were probably bigger draws than Hatton. People surely would've loved to see him fight anyone of those guys over Hatton at the time.
    Hatton was a bigger draw than The Punisher Williams, WARgarito, and Cotto all were.

lol, Please' top 10 p4p: Mayweather/Marquez/Pacquiao/Bradley/Cotto/Wlad/Rigondeaux/Froch/Canelo/Maidana

vCash
    It didn't matter who Floyd fought, he was getting paid. Cottomafter he beat mostly would of been a mega fight.

Floyd chose to retire.

When Hoya was king he fought anyone, guys like Ike quartey who couldn't sell anything. His first fight at welter was Vs sweet pea. He made nom excuses, just fought whoever the fans asked.

When mosley was top p4p he was fighting guys above his weight like winked wright and Vernon Forrest. Lost to both of them, and took the immediate rematch. No excuses, top guys fight the best. He didn't say, they weren't draws or to big, or take a drug test, and dint even run from the rematch.

With Floyd, his fans always go, ohh there not a draw.

Not a draw huh? Pacquiao wasn't a draw either? Give it up.
    Last edited by AddiX; 12-11-2012 at 08:38 PM.

vCash
    Which is why Oscar is disgustingly underrated and one of the greatest of recent eras if you ask me. Prime Oscar beats Floyd by UD and wipes the ring with Manny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast