Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    vCash

Week 4 Power Rankings - Thunder on Top

The good thing about writing Power Rankings is that you get to correct your mistakes every week. So let's just forget what was written in this space seven days ago.

Less than 48 hours after we wondered if the Miami Heat were starting to pick up steam, they lost to the Washington Wizards. And then they got smoked by the Melo-less Knicks. They may still be the favorites to win another championship in June, but they're currently a long way from playing well enough to repeat.
    The same is true for most contenders, obviously. And nobody wants to peak in December. But this is the time when habits are formed and standards of execution are set. And if home-court advantage in the playoffs comes down to a game or two, losses before Christmas count just as much as those in March or April.

So, as we continue to shake our heads at the floundering Lakers and dissect the listless Miami defense, we must also give the Spurs and Thunder their due credit for taking care of business and racking up the wins early in the season.

In the middle of Tuesday night's five-game slate, we'll officially reach the 1/4 mark of the 2012-13 season, when we're supposed to have a good idea of where each team stands. And typically, about 14 of the 16 teams in the playoff picture at this point will still be there at the end of the season. It's not yet time to break out the champagne in Atlanta or Oakland, but a dignified handshake to acknowledge a strong start would be justified.
    Hero Team of the Week: Atlanta (3-0) - Four teams went undefeated last week, and the Hawks had the most impressive win of the group, a 10-point victory in Memphis on Saturday. They also knocked off the Nuggets and Wizards.
    Zero Team of the Week: Cleveland (0-4) - Two losses to the Pistons and a spanking from the shorthanded Timberwolves.
    Plus-minus Studs: Matt Barnes and Jamal Crawford (LAC) were each a plus-51 in four games last week.
    Plus-minus Duds: Byron Mullens (CHA) was a minus-66 in four games last week.
    High jumps of the week: Sacramento (+6), Atlanta (+4), Utah (+4)
    Free falls of the week: Brooklyn (-5), Miami (-5), Charlotte (-4), L.A. Lakers (-4)
    East vs. West: The West is 75-54 (.581) against the East in inter-conference games this season and was 18-8 last week.

Toughest schedules through Sunday: 1. New Orleans, 2. Denver, 3. Toronto
    Easiest schedules through Sunday: 1. Philadelphia, 2. Atlanta, 3. Oklahoma City
    Schedule strength is based on cumulative opponent record, and adjusted for home vs. away and days of rest before a game.

Pace: Possessions per 48 minutes (League Rank)
    OffRtg: Points scored per 100 possessions (League Rank)
    DefRtg: Points allowed per 100 possessions (League Rank)
    The league is averaging 94.6 possessions (per team) per 48 minutes and 102.1 points scored per 100 possessions.
    http://www.nba.com/powerrankings/?ls=iref:nbahpt6b

vCash
    OKC's schedule has been cake, but they've been taking care of business. They've won 16 of 18 after starting 1-2.

And the Spurs just don't know what losing is, haha.

Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III, and Colin Kaepernick walk into a bar... To watch Russell Wilson win the Super Bowl.

vCash
    I never care about the power rankings, but I do wonder why the Lakers get so much leeway. Until they prove they aren't a pretty whatever team, how do they stay ahead of teams with better records?

Again, not going to argue this subject, I really don't care, just an observation.

If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love.

vCash
    How much do the power rankings mean?
    Absolutely nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by JNoel View Post
    How much do the power rankings mean?
    Absolutely nothing.
    Yep but its still something to discuss. Anything is more productive than NY/Brooklyn/Lakers talk right now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 29$JerZ View Post
    Yep but its still something to discuss. Anything is more productive than NY/Brooklyn/Lakers talk right now
    I guess. Or you just wanted to boast the Knicks ranking

vCash
    He actually left us Knicks and hopped on the NYets bandwagon before the season.

Perfection

vCash
    Whose fault is it that the Heat decided to sleepwalk thru the regular season?
    Quarterback Class of 2004 1st Round starters

vCash
    Why are the Bulls #8 in ESPN's power rankings?

vCash
    Magic at 21 is fair, but not where I want them to be. We're going the wrong way!
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    Raptors should be last, they are terrible.

TANKRONTO TANKTORS

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitch Kramer View Post
    Why are the Bulls #8 in ESPN's power rankings?
    They're 9 on NBA.com's. I mean, they do have the 9th best record. They do have the 8th best point differential. They are the best defensive team in the NBA. They've won three in a row, including a win against NYK on Saturday. I don't think it's preposterous.
    I no longer care about anything here except for the Entertainment Forum, which sucks; the Music forum, which sucks; and the Magic forum, which does NOT suck.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

vCash
    who cares about power rankings? No analyst is picking any of those teams over miami in a 7 game series, maybe OKC.

14. 12-10-2012, 04:21 PM

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ManRamForPrez24 View Post
    They're 9 on NBA.com's. I mean, they do have the 9th best record. They do have the 8th best point differential. They are the best defensive team in the NBA. They've won three in a row, including a win against NYK on Saturday. I don't think it's preposterous.
    I suppose yes they have the 9th best record, but if i wanted to know that i can just look at the standings. I thought power rankings went a bit deeper than that, but i guess not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
    Don't respond to him, there's a reason he's banned from the Bulls forum.
    Got it!

I mean, I've been called a Bulls hater before, but I'd like to think I've avoided being a complete idiot.

Bulls at 8-9 is absolutely fair right now.

Love y'all!

Except for all of y'all.

#FreePablo
    #FreeManRam
    #FreePablo

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast